Windows 10: W10 Location Services and Windows Store issues

Discus and support W10 Location Services and Windows Store issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Having the oddest issue. When I navigate to Settings > Privacy > Location and try hitting 'Change' to turn on my location for this device, it does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wolfspirit, Apr 1, 2016.

1. W10 Location Services and Windows Store issues

Having the oddest issue. When I navigate to Settings > Privacy > Location and try hitting 'Change' to turn on my location for this device, it does not work. I see the mouse turn to an hourglass symbol briefly and then disappears. No pop-up, nothing.

As a result I can't turn on Location services for any of my other apps. The slider on/off button below 'Change' is also greyed out.

I tried following the tutorial here: Location Service - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    and interestingly enough I'm missing the Registry entry for:
    Code: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Sensor\[/quote]

I'm also having issues with my Windows Store and I'm unable to connect to it. Windows Update itself works fine, and obviously I'm connected to the internet. I'm not sure if the issues are linked but while troubleshooting the Windows store, I did use this command prompt line:

Code: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} [/quote]

- which I'm not entirely sure broke my windows location thing to start with or not.

I've been googling and trying random things for the past 2 hours and nothing's worked *Sad

:)

wolfspirit, Apr 1, 2016

2. Cortana is disabled because Geolocation service disabled by itself; can't reenable it

- press the Windows key + R

- type "regedit" to open the registry

- navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3

- on the left side use rightclick and export to save a backup of the folder to the desktop

- after that delete the complete folder "3"

- restart the pc

- try to enable the service again and restart the pc again

- check if Cortana is working properly

Some more information about that issues you can find
    here

Cort Andrus, Apr 1, 2016
  3. Location services issues

I have an HP elitebook with windows 10 insider preview fully activated, but I can not make changes to the location settings, they are grey out I have tried everything I can find to fix this and still nothing.

ChrisBrewer85, Apr 1, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

W10 Location Services and Windows Store issues

Hi, it's possible your original problem was this:
    Thanks to some useful info provided by Forum user Cliff S, my PC is now fixed!

The issue was linked to location services, which need to be set to "on" in the Action Centre. When I attempted to do this, I found the option was greyed out, which lead to looking at which services were currently running (via "Services.msc"). It transpired that "Geolocation service" was disabled, and I was unable to restart it. A bit of Googling took me to an MS support site, which said this was a known issue with Win 10:

"Geolocation

After disabling the Geolocation Service by changing startup type to Disabled, attempts to re-enable it will fail with an error message. As the Geolocation Service can no longer be started, Geolocation will remain disabled on the device and prevent location based functionality from working. To work around this issue, manually delete the following regkey using regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3."

I edited the registry as described, and sure enough, after a re-boot, the Geolocation service could then be started. I opened MS Config, and made sure it was set to run at startup, re-booted again, and once Win 10 had started up, my "Location" button was live, along with an all singing and dancing Cortana.

Hopefully, this may help anyone else who may have a similar issue.

However, having used the power shell command you quote, this has commonly broken a lot of apps since build 10586 last Nov (before which it was a recommended repair option). If you now see '@' before your apps in the start menu, this typically indicates many apps are now broken.

Given your range of problems, I would now suggest you do an in-place upgrade repair install.

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)

This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Apr 1, 2016
  5. Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

The location services is now fixed but you are right - the Windows store (and apps) are still having issues.

I don't see the "@" signs that you mentioned but I basically can't connect within the apps to do anything.

Would a system Refresh not be sufficient as opposed to the In-place Upgrade repair?

wolfspirit, Apr 1, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Refresh loses any apps or desktop programs you have specifically chosen to install - anything outside the store. In-place repair keeps all.

dalchina, Apr 1, 2016
  7. The in-place repair sounds like a much better option then, but it seems that the installer I'm trying to launch from my USB drive isn't giving me the option to keep my existing files - those options are greyed out as my "current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory."

A popular fix seems to be to switch the Registry key for the locations back to C:\ but in my case they are already C:\...

I think my USB stick's version is newer? The file version is 10.0.10240.16384 while the copy I have in Settings > System > About is version 1511 OS build 10586.164. I'm guessing that affects it?

wolfspirit, Apr 1, 2016
  8. W10 Location Services and Windows Store issues

Okay so I got an old copy of the Media Creation Tool and I'm able to circumvent the above issue... But now the tool is just stuck at 0% and doesn't download the ISO. I'll just have to grab it from another source I suppose.

wolfspirit, Apr 1, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    You must use the same basic build as installed in order to do the in-place repair, as I think it says in the tutorial.
    Mmm.. how do you know if you don't get that message if you haven't yet got a 10586 iso?

Windows 10 Download (ISO File) - Windows10Free.com

dalchina, Apr 1, 2016
  10. You're right - I'm assuming that since I ran the older version of the tool and its me choose the upgrade option that I was further along than with the newer iso. Though I haven't reached the point of keeping files yet...

wolfspirit, Apr 1, 2016
  11. Just completed my in-place repair and everything went smoothly. Even most drivers are seemingly operational. I'm truly amazed. Thank you so much dalchina!

wolfspirit, Apr 2, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Excellent- it's one of the good things about Win 10- as updates are mostly cumulative, and the repair uses the latest build, there aren't 100s of updates to redo as in Win 7.

Note the caveats in my text above.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

W10 Location Services and Windows Store issues

1. W10 Location Services and Windows Store issues - Similar Threads - W10 Location Services

2. Location services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location services: You ask microsoft for instructions. Microsoft responds with questions. I do not believe microsoft tech support people know how to resolve any issue I cannot set my location I cannot install updates I look at tutorials and people asks questios and then microsoft agents ask...
  3. Location services

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location services: You ask microsoft for instructions. Microsoft responds with questions. I do not believe microsoft tech support people know how to resolve any issue I cannot set my location I cannot install updates I look at tutorials and people asks questios and then microsoft agents ask...
  4. Location service

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Location service: Hi guys, I just lost my laptop last week and I tried using the track my laptop or sort of find my device feature but I have turned off location service on that laptop. There are quite a lot of my family photos especially my late father's photos in where I backed up all the...
  5. Windows Location Service

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Location Service: Hi Is there a way to explicitly set or check from where the Windows Location Service obtains the position? I'm asking because I'm trying to use a Navilock NL-602U receiver u-blox 6 chip . It shows up in the device manager under Sensors as "u-blox 6 GPS Location Sensor"....
  6. Windows 10 Version 1903 Location Services Issues

Windows 10 Version 1903 Location Services Issues: Had anyone had any issues with location services not updating after the update to Version 1903? We have an application that is supposed to track your location as you are moving, but will only update when forced to refresh. It worked properly on the prior release of Windows...
  7. Windows location Services

Windows location Services: Hi Gurus, I am looking to find out if windows geo services write any logs or any logging can be enabled. Service is set to manual (trigger start) so is there any way we can find out what application is actually starting the service. When we go to Privacy Location...
  8. Issues with W10 booting up, can't seem to locate the issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues with W10 booting up, can't seem to locate the issue: So the issue is I have a machine that takes 5 minutes to boot up. Initially it starts when the windows 10 logo appears with the cycling dot, dot, dot going on, the PC doesn't show any activity on the drive and may or may not flash it once in a while so it appears it's...
  9. Location Service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Location Service: I can't turn location on. I get a message that "Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization. I am the organization, how do I set up an organization?...
  10. Location Service

in Windows 10 Support
    Location Service: I have location for device ON, location for maps ON. When I try to show my location in Map I get the following message: We're not allowed to find you, Location settings are turned off for Maps. To help us find you, change this in Settings. Anyone know how to fix this? 42317