Windows 10: W10 macrium mirror to be restored on a smaller drive

Discus and support W10 macrium mirror to be restored on a smaller drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My Windows 10 Acer V5 laptop has a ~430GB drive (excluding the system and W10 recovery partition), and I am creating a Macrium mirror copy and saving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ineuw, Nov 7, 2017.

1. ineuw Win User

W10 macrium mirror to be restored on a smaller drive

My Windows 10 Acer V5 laptop has a ~430GB drive (excluding the system and W10 recovery partition), and I am creating a Macrium mirror copy and saving on a borrowed external drive temporarily. My plan is to subdivide the drive with Minitool as

150 system partition
    150 for My documents & other data
    100+ macrium backups

Of the 430GB, the system programs and data occupy 63GB. Can I restore the original mirror to a reduced size partition and will it boot?

:)

ineuw, Nov 7, 2017
  2. Tryx3 Win User

windows 10 restoring system image to smaller ssd faster disk

Techmajor,

I once used Acronis True Image to restore a system image from a larger drive onto a smaller SSD. I did this using its normal image restore function and not its cloning function.

I don't know if
    Macrium Reflect [Free]
    can do this.

Denis

Tryx3, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Black screen after Creator's Update

Hi I love my Macrium Reflect. I'm a fearless PC user; knowing I can restore to exactly like I was before the problem. I've been a Macrium user for years and Macrium has never let me down. I can restore the image back even on a new hard drive. That makes
    me fearless! The W10 back up feature is better then nothing, but Macrium is the best insurance you can have IMHO! I have just been a PC user sense 2004, so I'm still a newbie. LOL. Thanks for your reply!

garybear89, Nov 7, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, Nov 7, 2017
  5. Back-ups should be on a different drive and not another partition of the same drive you are making back-ups of. If the HDD fails how do you plan to access the back-ups if they are on the same drive?

ArnoldLayne, Nov 7, 2017
  6. ineuw Win User
    W10 macrium mirror to be restored on a smaller drive [​IMG]

Here is the disk layout image. I hope that this is what was wanted.

ineuw, Nov 7, 2017
  7. ineuw Win User
    ArnoldLayne, it helps if you would have read the posts from the beginning. The macrium backup is currently residing on an external drive not shown because I disconnected it.

ineuw, Nov 7, 2017
  8. W10 macrium mirror to be restored on a smaller drive

You stated you want to partition the main drive as such:

150 system partition
    100+ macrium backups

I made the assumption this is the internal hard drive of the laptop.

ArnoldLayne, Nov 7, 2017
  9. ineuw Win User
    Yes, that's correct. Separate partitions are not affected if the OS crashes on its own partition, even if it is the same disk drive. I use this setup on my desktop and I did many restores using the Macrium Live USB, but the C: drive to be restored was always the same. If you ever used Windows 7 mirror backup, that mirror can only be restored to the same or a larger size drive. In any case, Microsoft pulled that backup software.

My question is, that if my mirror of a 430 GB disk, of which only 63 GB is used, will the restore work to a 150gb partition.

ineuw, Nov 7, 2017
  10. topgundcp Win User
    • I assume that you've already created a Rescue Disk. Boot up with it.
    • Click on restore tab and browse for the backup image on the external HD.
    • Select your current Windows drive as destiunation drive.
    • Click on each partition of the destination drive, then click "Delete Existing Partition" until empty as shown:

• Next click on first partition (400MB) drag and drop to the destination, do the same for 300MB.
      NOTE: You might have an extra MSR partition which was not shown with disk management. If so, do the same as for 400MB and 300MB.
    • Now, drag and drop C drive from source then click on "Restored Partition Properties" as shown. Enter New partiiton size. In your case, would be 150GB.

• Drag and drop next partition and repeat step 6, enter 150GB.
    • Drag and Drop the last partition then click on Maximum size so it would take the rest.
      Final layout should look like this: 400MB, 300MB, 150GB Cdrive, 150GB, ~130G
    • Click OK ->Next->Finish
    • Once done, just to make sure it will boot. Click on "Fix Windows Boot Problems" and follow the screen.
    • Reboot.

NOTE: The screens above are from my disk and shown as an example.

topgundcp, Nov 7, 2017
  11. ineuw Win User
    topgundcp many many thanks for your labors. Your instructions are perfectly clear and my disk partition scheme is identical to yours. Just now, also came across a Macrium forum post with the same issue and the responses indicated that Macrium will readjust itself to the smaller C: partition. Thanks again.

ineuw, Nov 7, 2017
  12. RolandJS Win User
    "...macrium backup is currently residing on an external drive..."
    and
    "150 system partition
    100+ macrium backups"
    A quick reading of the above, would have led to my assuming that future backups will be stored on the same physical hard-drive, along with the OS and Data partitions.
    Overall thread read -- MR backups will remain on the external hard-drive, did I understand that correctly?

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 macrium mirror to be restored on a smaller drive - Similar Threads - W10 macrium mirror

2. Moving W10 to a smaller drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving W10 to a smaller drive: I just purchased a Refurbished Dell from a MS Authorized Refurbisher via Amazon. It arrived with W10 on a 2t 3.5" HDD. I intend to install 2 additional 2t "Data Drives" in a raid 1 Mirrored config.To make room I want to clone the current 2T boot drive to a 500 gig 2.5" HDD....
  3. Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive: Hey all, First-time poster and also new to Macrium. I have a 1TB M.2 SSD in my laptop that I want to image, transfer to another computer, and then I want to restore the image to a smaller (500GB) replacement M.2 drive. I'm working with only 1 M.2 slot, so I created a Macrium...
  4. A solution to slow Macrium mirror creations

A solution to slow Macrium mirror creations: I changed the SATA connections randomly. Full mirror backup with verification of the 31Gb system drive took five minutes and 5 seconds. The compressed file is 20Gb. Previously, it took 18+ minutes for the same operation. Some helpful details. * Write down the devices'...
  5. Problems With Macrium Restore

Problems With Macrium Restore: I have used Macrium for quite a while and been very pleased. However, lately I cannot run a restore successfully. I can backup my drive just fine. But when I try to run a restore, the error Oc000000F comes up instead. This is following the install of the latest Windows...
  6. Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM: Hi folks One of the great things with QEMU/KVM VM's is that you can boot from physical devices INSIDE THE VM (and not just ISO's)-- I needed to restore a W10 VM as I'd hosed it up with some silly networking parameter errors etc. With the latest kernels you can Hot plug USB...
  7. Macrium: trial restore?

Macrium: trial restore?: So far I've never had to restore an image and I'm not brave enough to wipe my OS as an experiment. But I have plenty of disk capacity, either on my internal 4 TB D or one of my external USB drives. So as a second-best is it possible to restore my OS disk C image (135 GB) to...
  8. Backup / Restore to Network drives (Macrium)

Backup / Restore to Network drives (Macrium): Hi folks when you create the stand alone Macrium don't forget to enable legacy SMB1 support (in the Macrium create recovery media) under advanced if your backups goes to NAS or other shared network devices that still need SMB1. [img] Cheers jimbo 128463
  9. Macrium Reflect restore over corrupt drive?

Macrium Reflect restore over corrupt drive?: This morning I had a computer crash . Somehow it got stuck on an upgrade . I Booted into system restore and tried to restore to earlier date. Error message came up indicating I had drive issues so I continued with the offer to scan and repair the drive. After drive was...
  10. Backup & Restore with Macrium

Backup & Restore with Macrium: Hello, Thanks for the answers. Searching I found this long explanation which made me more confused http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...-way-with.html and I have lot of questions since, 1. Have one full instl. file "reflect_setup_free_x86(6.1.1081).exe size 39.502...