Windows 10: W10 Network Discovery stopped working

Discus and support W10 Network Discovery stopped working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; It's always something! I have six W10 computers on my home network. At one time they all could see each other and share files, folders, devices etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ken429, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Ken429 Win User

W10 Network Discovery stopped working

It's always something! I have six W10 computers on my home network. At one time they all could see each other and share files, folders, devices etc. For some reason one of the systems is no longer visible on the network. The problem computer can see and share with all the other computers but the other computers cannot see the problem computer. I have checked all the stuff in the "Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows" tutorial and all appears to be OK! I'm sure the problem system was working correctly until recently. I suspect something happened when I shut all the systems on the network down for ten days while on vacation and restarted the network upon return. Help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to resort to a fresh install.

:)

Ken429, Oct 2, 2017
  2. Tom850i Win User

Windows 10 sees but cannot access some devices on network

My desktop sees two laptops, a disk drive and a printer (My network window shows these devices). I can open the disk drive, but when I click on the printer or the two laptops from my Network screen, I get this error "Windows cannot access \\xxxxxxx". Both
    laptops are connected to the network and have no issues with internet access. Both laptops are W10. All devices are in "Workgroup". The printer has a discovery method of "NetBIOS". The laptops have a discovery method of "WSD".

Before upgrading to W10 all these devices were accessible from my desktop.

Any suggestions?

Tom850i, Oct 2, 2017
  3. Teddy2016 Win User
    Network problems

Hi!

On the W10 machine, go to Network and sharing center > Change advanced sharing settings > Guest and Public Profiles. Turn off network discovery for Guest and Public. Turn on for private and
    Restart.

For HomeGroup let the W10 machine be the creator of the home group. If W8 is already the creator, then you have to go threw the leave home group deal.

This is from W10 and W7 network. W8 may be a hole new issue if you are using the UEFI bios.

Teddy2016, Oct 2, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

Probably not the answer your looking for but this is one of the reasons I give my computers (and phones) a static IP on my network.

I have found that using File Explorer and typing into the address bar

EG:
    Code: \\192.168.200.101[/quote] And then right click on any of the shared drives and select "Map Drive" then follow the default prompts will save you some aggravation.

Note: your IP will not be the same, use ipconfig command to find the right IP, Or the static IP you gave to the computer you want to connect to.

When you click on "This PC " in File Explorer they will show up.

sml156, Oct 3, 2017
  5. Ken429 Win User
    In desperation I went in and deleted the two profiles I was not using - a Wi-Fi connection to a Hawking range extender device and a profile "Ring-0" that got created for a remote camera that I was playing with a few months ago. After deleting the two profiles in the Registry and leaving only the "Network" profile for the Ethernet connection magic happened and all is well again!! I suspect it was something with the Ring-0 profile that was screwing things up since I have the Wi-Fi profile on several other systems and do not have the "Discovery" issue. Can someone please explain what the heck was going on?

Ken429, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 Network Discovery stopped working - Similar Threads - W10 Network Discovery

2. Intune + Network Discovery not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intune + Network Discovery not working: I have configured Intune for a Windows 11 test machine with a Firewall policy, and EDR policy using MDE. The test machine is Azure AD joined but will not allow network discovery and file sharing.The Network interface is connected to a Private Network, and here are the...
  3. Intune + Network Discovery not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intune + Network Discovery not working: I have configured Intune for a Windows 11 test machine with a Firewall policy, and EDR policy using MDE. The test machine is Azure AD joined but will not allow network discovery and file sharing.The Network interface is connected to a Private Network, and here are the...
  4. Network discovery stopped working suddenly a couple of days ago.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network discovery stopped working suddenly a couple of days ago.: I am not exactly sure when this started but I can no longer see computers and printers on my network. I think it started a day or two ago. I noticed it yesterday when I tried to print something and I got the message that the printer was offline. I then checked my network and...
  5. Network discovery doesnt work

Network discovery doesnt work: I can no longer right click on the wifi button to open up available wifi networks. I have tried resetting, troubleshooting etc and the "sharing button" doesn't work either. What do I do?...
  6. Network Discovery not Working

Network Discovery not Working: As a part-time IT support person for a non-profit organization I have found that correcting the issues with network discovery over the years on different versions of Windows to be almost impossible and have found ways of living with them. Now that I have managed to end up...
  7. Network Discovery Issue - 1903 W10 Pro X64

Network Discovery Issue - 1903 W10 Pro X64: Hi all, I have got a weird intermittent issue with a recently upgraded Windows 10 Pro PC which has been updated from 1803 to 1903. The PC shares a printer and files. Before the upgrade, their hasn't been any issue with the PC until after upgrading to 1903. Ever since...
  8. Network Discovery not working ?

Network Discovery not working ?: Hi Forum *Smile I am facing a problem that my PC running Windows 10 cant see other PC's/Devices on my network. Idk. if it have something to do with i cant make/join a homegroup. I was told to remove a file in...
  9. Home network discovery not working after latest W10 Update

Home network discovery not working after latest W10 Update: I just installed (yesterday) the latest W10 update that installed Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3) and my home network consisting of five W10 PC's has been "destroyed." I do not use Homegroup. Instead, I have always set up all the drives/folders as shared on all the computers....
  10. Network discovery stopped working

Network discovery stopped working: I know this problem has been discussed with many variants but not quite the same as I'm experiencing, so I'm starting a new thread. I did a clean install of Windows 10 pro 64 bit, and everything was running perfectly, that is until two days ago when the computers on the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 network discovery not working

2. w10 network discovery