Windows 10: W10 not detecting 2 monitors, so cannot extend the screen?

Discus and support W10 not detecting 2 monitors, so cannot extend the screen? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Due to the Coronavirus, I'm working from home indefinitely now. I would like to work using two monitor screens as I do in the office,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Stockdale, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Stockdale Win User

W10 not detecting 2 monitors, so cannot extend the screen?

Hello everyone,

Due to the Coronavirus, I'm working from home indefinitely now. I would like to work using two monitor screens as I do in the office, but I'm unable to work out how.

I have a laptop and 2 monitors. I have only 1 HDMI port in my laptop, so bought a HDMI splitter and have separate HDMI leads from the splitter into each monitor.

It works in the sense that I am typing on my laptop now, and I can see my two monitors with the same display as my laptop currently. The issue comes when I want to extend the screens (i.e. close my laptop, and use two screens only. Left monitor being primary, and right monitor being secondary).

When I try to extend screens, it keeps my laptop screen as Screen 1, and then classes both of my monitors as screen 2. There is no screen 3, even though I am technically using 3 screens (laptop and 2 monitors).

I've spent hours trying to work this now; is anybody able to advise how I can work use one monitor as primary, one as secondary with screen extended, and the laptop screen effectively being off?

I've been into device manager, and ensured my display adaptors are up to date as well.

Thank you so much in advance W10 not detecting 2 monitors, so cannot extend the screen? :)

:)

Stockdale, Mar 30, 2020
  2. Stockdale Win User

Hello everyone,

Due to the Coronavirus, I'm working from home indefinitely now. I would like to work using two monitor screens as I do in the office, but I'm unable to work out how.

I have a laptop and 2 monitors. I have only 1 HDMI port in my laptop, so bought a HDMI splitter and have separate HDMI leads from the splitter into each monitor.

It works in the sense that I am typing on my laptop now, and I can see my two monitors with the same display as my laptop currently. The issue comes when I want to extend the screens (i.e. close my laptop, and use two screens only. Left monitor being primary, and right monitor being secondary).

When I try to extend screens, it keeps my laptop screen as Screen 1, and then classes both of my monitors as screen 2. There is no screen 3, even though I am technically using 3 screens (laptop and 2 monitors).

I've spent hours trying to work this now; is anybody able to advise how I can work use one monitor as primary, one as secondary with screen extended, and the laptop screen effectively being off?

I've been into device manager, and ensured my display adaptors are up to date as well.

Thank you so much in advance W10 not detecting 2 monitors, so cannot extend the screen? :)

Stockdale, May 25, 2020
  3. extending monitors

Hello,

I hope I can help you today

solote allow two monitors but here I leave this possible solution

Step 1

Connect a monitor to the normal video card, using the necessary cable (DVI, VGA or HDMI). This will be the main screen, so place it directly in front of your computer's cabinet.

Step 2

Connect the second monitor to the alternative port of the video card, and then restart the computer. The PC will automatically detect the second monitor.

Step 3

Go to the "Show options" window by right clicking on the desktop, then select the "Properties" option. From there, click on the second monitor (which will appear in the drop-down menu), and then activate the "Extend my desktop on this screen" checkbox.

Step 4

Connect the third monitor to your original video card (if it has three outputs) or to another video card, and then restart the computer one more time.

Step 5

Go to the "Show options" window by right clicking on the desktop, then select the "Properties" option. From there, click on the third monitor (which will appear in the drop-down menu), and then activate the "Extend my desktop to this screen" checkbox

regards...

MiguelChiappori, May 25, 2020
  4. KW1NM Win User

Extending 2 Dell Monitors

Hello!

I am very technologically challenged, and I am trying to EXTEND (not mirror) my 2 desktop Dell monitors.

My computer only has one vga port, and my monitors have hdmi cables.

I bought a uGreen hdmi female to vga male adapter but I still can't figure it out.

I am able to mirror them but not extend them as i'm wanting to do for my work.

I looked in the display settings area, and it only shows one monitor, and it won't detect the 2nd one at all.

If anyone could be so kind to do a STEP BY STEP instruction on how to set this up, i'd greatly appreciate it!!

Keri W

Albuquerque

KW1NM, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. W10 not detecting 2 monitors, so cannot extend the screen? - Similar Threads - W10 detecting monitors

2. 2 Monitors win10 extend option

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    2 Monitors win10 extend option: Added another monitor to my 1 monitor win10 system. Every thing looks good. I am using Nvidia Video card. Problem: Main monitor No problem. Second monitor when i open an application such as Firefox it opens on my main monitor too. When I drag an app or doc over to second...
  3. W10 not detecting 2 monitors, so cannot extend the screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 not detecting 2 monitors, so cannot extend the screen?: Hello everyone, Due to the Coronavirus, I'm working from home indefinitely now. I would like to work using two monitor screens as I do in the office, but I'm unable to work out how. I have a laptop and 2 monitors. I have only 1 USB port in my laptop, so bought a USB...
  4. Windows 10 not extending to 2 monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 not extending to 2 monitors: Hi, I updated to windows 10 and bought 2 monitors to extend the display. However, it seems that the monitor is not extending properly even if I chose the extend display in the multiple display option. I read in the discussion thread to press Microsoft+X then select display...
  5. Extending a wallpaper over 2 monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extending a wallpaper over 2 monitors: I have 2 27 inch monitors, and I want to find a wallpaper that would span over the both of them. The issue I’m having is that they both have different resolutions. The monitor on the left is 1920x1080 144hz and the one on the right is 3840x2160 60hz. What resolution wallpaper...
  6. Extending 2 Dell Monitors

Extending 2 Dell Monitors: Hello! I am very technologically challenged, and I am trying to EXTEND (not mirror) my 2 desktop Dell monitors. My computer only has one vga port, and my monitors have hdmi cables. I bought a uGreen hdmi female to vga male adapter but I still can't figure it out. I...
  7. Cannot Extend to a 3rd Monitor - Doesn't Detect the Monitor

Cannot Extend to a 3rd Monitor - Doesn't Detect the Monitor: I have a Windows 10 64 bit system. I have a Nividia Control Panel and tried to get the monitor to detect there, but it does not. It works but it duplicates, not extends. I gather I need something called an extender rather than a splitter. But I have no clue what type of...
  8. Extended monitor(s) detected but no signal available

Extended monitor(s) detected but no signal available: Hello andthanks for taking a look at my issue. Any input would be very appreciated. The setup: · SurfaceBook: 256GB/Intel Core i7 - 8GB/ dGPU Nvidia. · Laptop isconnected to a Surface Dock (Surface Dock) · 2 extendedmonitors: AOC i2267fw 22-inch LED Monitors (2) ·...
  9. black lines with 2 monitors on extended displays

black lines with 2 monitors on extended displays: This issue is almost driving me crazy! People where I work use 2 monitors used as extended displays. All the extended displays work fine on Windows 7, but when I upgrade or redo the PC with Windows 10, black lines are on the monitor(s). Sometimes the lines are thin and in...
  10. Cannot extend display to second monitor

Cannot extend display to second monitor: I am using windows 10 pro on my Powerspec desktop PC. I have one HP monitor and one AOC monitor. I had three monitors (one HP and 2 AOC monitors) working fine using extended display. After removing one monitor (now have 2), the extended display does not work any more. I can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 detect hdmi monitor