Windows 10: W10 not discovering SAMBA devices starting in 10049 and Other Tips

Discus and support W10 not discovering SAMBA devices starting in 10049 and Other Tips in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I registered to let everyone know how I solved my problem with connecting to my NAS by NETBIOS name. Starting with build 10049, my NAS would not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sp00k001, Apr 30, 2015.

1. sp00k001 Win User

W10 not discovering SAMBA devices starting in 10049 and Other Tips

I registered to let everyone know how I solved my problem with connecting to my NAS by NETBIOS name.

Starting with build 10049, my NAS would not appear when I go to "Network" in explorer. All of my Windows based PC's showed up but my NAS wouldn't.

Even when I try to connect to the share by UNC name "\\WIFIHDD", Windows was unable to resolve the name.

I'm now on 10074 and was able to resolve this issue by forceably enabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

For those who don't know where this is:
    • Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
    • Right-Click on your network adapter and click on "Properties"
    • Double Click on "Internet Protocol Version 4"
    • Click on "Advanced..."
    • Click on the "WINS" tab
    • Select "Enable NetBios over TCP/IP"

The default option says it will fall back to NetBIOS over TCP/IP if the DHCP server doesn't provide it, but I think that logic might not be working right (or my router provides NetBIOS settings that I don't know about).

Other tips I've found working with 10049 and 10074:
    • Setting Metered Connections:
      I tether to my phone so I need to make sure Windows Update won't try to download while I'm mobile.
      • 10049: The setting is in the "Show Available Connections" slide out. Right click on your wifi connection and select metered connection. "Show Available Connections" is available when you go to the "Metro" style wifi settings.
      • 10074: In the "Metro" style wifi settings, click on "Properties".
    • Public/Private network:
      The only way I've found to set a network connection as private is to join a wifi network, then open "Explorer" and click on the Network link in the left hand column. The yellow warning bar on top will tell you that you are in a public network. Click on that, then click NO in the next dialog.
    • Drivers not installing since 9926:
      I'm running Win10 on a WinBook TW801 which has very bad driver support. All of the drivers I have were backed up and contain only INF files, not setup files. Since the upgrade to 9926, after the first reboot, all the drivers failed to load correctly and I could not install them correctly. It would either complain about "File not found" or "Driver not made for this OS".

My only solution for this problem was to prepare an Install.wim that already contains all my drivers by injecting them using DISM, then I performed a full install. Even then, the Intel video drivers would not install, but fortunately, Win10 will automatically install it when you connect to the Internet.

:)

sp00k001, Apr 30, 2015
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Bluetooth not discovering devices on MULTIPLE Windows 10 computers

We suggest installing first all available updates since we have a lot of updates for Windows Insider Preview.

You may also check this link for the latest Windows 10 Insider
    Preview Build.

Let us know the result.

Riel Alc, Apr 30, 2015
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Bluetooth not discovering devices on MULTIPLE Windows 10 computers

Hi,

For better assistance, we'd like to ask the following:

• When did you start encountering the issue?
    • Were there any recent changes made to your computer prior to this issue?
    • Are you running a Windows 10 Insider Preview? If yes, which Build?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Apr 30, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

I think someone posted that here around somewhere but thanks for sharing.

And Welcome to Ten Forums! *Party

badrobot, Apr 30, 2015
Thema:

1. W10 not discovering SAMBA devices starting in 10049 and Other Tips - Similar Threads - W10 discovering SAMBA

2. Tips for starting win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tips for starting win10: I am going to upgrade to win10 soon, any tips? submitted by /u/EW05 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l2vbtk/tips_for_starting_win10/
  3. can't discover other computer on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't discover other computer on network: I have spent a lot of time with 3 different techs at Microsoft trying to fix the lack of discovery on my wifi network. Help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-discover-other-computer-on-network/a9047407-7e56-4560-be00-48c28e979630
  4. Laptop can neither discover near by bluetooth devices nor can be discovered to other...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop can neither discover near by bluetooth devices nor can be discovered to other...: I have been using Samsung's NP300E5A laptop and I recently happened to clean format my device. The bluetooth had been working fine before the format but it has brought up some issues after the format. I tried every possible solutions but failed to solve the problem. The...
  5. W10 10049 to 10074 error 0xc1900107 will not install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 10049 to 10074 error 0xc1900107 will not install: Have not been able to install W10 10074. Believe I've tried every solution advised. Sony VAIO went right through. HP Pavilion 500-164 DT no go. May have to wait for ISO? Security issue/Network issue? Lost. Any thoughts well appreciated. (Downloads but errors out install) "We...
  6. 10049->10074 Start button doesn't respond

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    10049->10074 Start button doesn't respond: Just completed update. Get nothing when I click on the start button. Everything else seems fine. 10049 and earlier have been fine. Really don't want to have to do yet another clean install. Seems to have been an issue for others on 10049 & 10041 which were fine for me but...
  7. W10 no longer can access other devices on network.

W10 no longer can access other devices on network.: I THINK I found the problem/answer in another thread, ... but it is an old thread and I am not sure. That thread is here: Cannot access shared network drive In any case, here is the case: Computer #1 DELL W10-64 Computer #2 Toshiba W7-64 Computer #3 Acer W7-32 NAT...
  8. Computer stopped being discovered by other devices on network

Computer stopped being discovered by other devices on network: My problem is rather strange and one I haven't come across before. Today, out of the blue, my PC stopped being discovered by other devices on the home network; the Plex media server and Unified Remote servers running on the computer are being discovered by their respective...
  9. Can't access Samba shares on 10049

Can't access Samba shares on 10049: I just reinstalled after I was having issues. Everything seems to be working smoothly, except that I can't access the shares on all but one of my other computers for some reason. Most devices that aren't running either some flavor of Windows or Samba show up just fine. I...
  10. 10049 and VPN

in Windows 10 Support
    10049 and VPN: The new 10049 version will not let me install and run a VPN server. It is blocking the TAP driver need to run My Internet Access Server Since Microsoft is running a key logger on Windows 10 I suppose a VPN would not let them spy on all of us. How good or even crook is...