Windows 10: w10 occasionally will have a slow boot up to login screen

Discus and support w10 occasionally will have a slow boot up to login screen in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Normally when I power up I get to the W10 login screen pretty quickly. I have a Dell XPS 8900 with I7 and SSD cache. Within the last two weeks when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by arejfour, May 10, 2021.

1. arejfour Win User

w10 occasionally will have a slow boot up to login screen

Normally when I power up I get to the W10 login screen pretty quickly. I have a Dell XPS 8900 with I7 and SSD cache. Within the last two weeks when I power up first thing in the morning I will get a blue screen "waiting" with the swirling dots before I get to the login screen. Until two weeks ago I never saw this except during a W10 update. Now this doesn't happen every time, but it's been persistent. During the course of the day I may power off and power up again, 3-4 times, and will usually not have this problem. I've checked task manager and have disabled a few start up programs t

:)

arejfour, May 10, 2021
  2. JOE
    joe Win User

Windows 10 occasionally fails to login after screen lock

Occasionally (meaning, not always), after screen lock, login will fail on my Windows 10 desktop. I've tried looking online for possible solutions, but I find more topics about not being able to get to the login screen at all.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Lock screen
    2. Press key/click to access login prompt
    3. Enter anything for login information (either right or wrong password)
    4. Wait some amount of time (>10s) with a spinner
    5. Screen returns to lock

Reproduction rate: Very low, but once it occurs, it will continue to happen until restart.

Occasionally, I will also see a black screen with a cursor for a very short time after attempting unlock.

I'm not running any modifications to my lock screen. The amount of time locked doesn't seem to matter (it's happened within as little as 10min). So far, it only seems to happen after my computer has been on for a long time (weeks). The computer isn't frozen, since I can still attempt logins (and my applications and network connections are still open underneath, as verified from the network and other computers' clients). Unfortunately, it's Win10 home, so I can't attempt a remote desktop connection.

Not sure where to start looking for possible solutions to this problem, since I get so many results for other login screen issues.

3. regan1985 Win User
    login screens

is there anyway to stop windows going into the login screen wen i boot up and leave my pc for more then 10mins?i have no password set and im the only user!!

cheers

regan1985, May 10, 2021
  4. w10 occasionally will have a slow boot up to login screen

2 minutes of Black Screen before Login Screen & Slow Booting.

Hi Saurav,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I see that you are facing black screen issues with the system. This might be due to the corruption of display driver in the system.

I would suggest you to refer the link on Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10 by
    Sharath Srinivasa replied on August 7, 2015

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

I would also suggest you to refer the article in the link below on
    Troubleshoot black screen problems

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

I also see that your system has become slow hence I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps,

Method 1: System Maintenance troubleshooter

Please follow the steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer:

• Type “Control Panel” on the search box.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.
    • Click on System Maintenance option.
    • Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.
    Method 2: Disk Clean Up

Cleaning out your PC on a regular basis frees up drive space and helps it run better. One of the easiest ways to clean up files you no longer need is by using Disk Cleanup. Try performing it on the system and check if it helps to
    resolve the issue.

Refer the below link to perform a Disk Clean Up on Windows 10.

Disk cleanup in Windows 10

I would also suggest you to perform a clean boot to check if third party applications are causing the system slow.

Method 3: Clean boot

Place your computer in clean boot state and check if it helps.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Reply us if you have any further queries we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, May 10, 2021
Thema:

w10 occasionally will have a slow boot up to login screen

1. w10 occasionally will have a slow boot up to login screen - Similar Threads - w10 occasionally slow

2. Slow boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow boot up: HelloI have gaming pc with the this optionCPU: i9 12900kRam: 32 DDR5Storage: Samsung 980pro 1TBGPU: 3060 12GBMotherboard: Zsus z690-eCooling: Kraken water coolingWhy is the bios bootup is 19 sec? the ssd is in the right place.Thank you...
  3. Slow boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow boot up: HelloI have gaming pc with the this optionCPU: i9 12900kRam: 32 DDR5Storage: Samsung 980pro 1TBGPU: 3060 12GBMotherboard: Zsus z690-eCooling: Kraken water coolingWhy is the bios bootup is 19 sec? the ssd is in the right place.Thank you...
  4. OCCASIONAL slow saves

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OCCASIONAL slow saves: My desktop is a Dell XPS 8920 with an Intel i7-7700K processor with 8M Cache, up to 3.6 GHz. 15GB memory, 2400MHz, DDR4. 256GB M.2 PCle x4 SS drive + 2TB 7200 rpm HDD. Save times are USUALLY sub-second. I've had this system for a couple of years, and this issue started a...
  5. W10 slow boot and poor performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W10 slow boot and poor performance: Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your time and dedication. Originally, my problem is stated in the title. I've been stuck with this for months. Recently I found this forum and tried to fix it for 264542th time (not kidding, just exaggerating) by following steps given...
  6. Fast Start Up and then slow Login Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fast Start Up and then slow Login Screen: Hi. Im having a weird problem when my laptop boot Windows At first,when the O.S is loading it took 30-40 seconds to load the login screen and then takes nothing to load the Desktop when i logged.However,after installing Xilinx,for some reason,it takes like 2-3 seconds to...
  7. Boot up login screens

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot up login screens: During the startup sequence the last thing that happens before Windows 10 goes to the Desktop is for me to login in my password. Most of the time the startup sequence lands on the Welcome Screen. That is what I prefer because my old laptop keyboard is on its last legs. I have...
  8. W10 Login screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    W10 Login screen: So my problem is that everytime i boot windows i have to press the OK button bellow the "other user" sign-in to be able to select my actual user on the bottom left corner. Its kind off annoying to do this everytime. Is there a option to get my user as default instead of...
  9. W10 slow boot and icons load

W10 slow boot and icons load: Hi. I've upgraded my laptop from W8.1Pro to W10Pro. At first everything was fine, but now the boot is very slow with the icons taking ages to appear on the desktop and the taskbar. Any ideas please? I've removed almost all the automatic start up items, defragged and...
  10. Login screen slow to come up?

Login screen slow to come up?: Hi, I have the PIN page setup to show on my machine. The screens go into standby after a while - and when I come back to the machine, I have to press something on my keyboard - then wait about 4-5 seconds for the screen to come up - before I can actually enter my PIN. On...