Windows 10: W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

Discus and support W10 OS Clean Install on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm currently wanting to install a 120GB SSD into my PC. 1) What I want to know is, will the OS on the HDD conflict with the one on the SSD after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WilliamH96, Nov 11, 2018.

1. W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

I'm currently wanting to install a 120GB SSD into my PC.

1) What I want to know is, will the OS on the HDD conflict with the one on the SSD after I do a clean install on it, and make it the boot disc?

All I want to use it for is the OS and the games I'm playing the most at the time.

2) Also, should I re-install graphics card drivers to the SSD as well or is that not necessary?

Aside from these two questions I assume, from reading similar questions and answers, that the remaining programs and files on the HDD should remain and be usable like usual. Would I be correct in this assumption?

Thanks in advance for the help!

:)

WilliamH96, Nov 11, 2018

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Nov 11, 2018
  3. Clean Install of OS

I have a Dell PC that is running very slowly on W10

After all usual stuff, clearing junk, defrag etc., still not good enough - as its currently on an old HDD, going to install an SSD for the OS.

Been advised to do a clean install rather than clone across an OS that might have issues.

This SSD will come from another W10 PC (one I'm using today) I will install a new larger SSD in this main PC (using Clone SSD software) so that will be easy enough.

I have 2 questions ....

Do I need to wipe or change something on this SSD before I install in the Dell - is there a boot log or something I need to delete to avoid it trying to boot off this 'wrong OS', or will using install media override that.

The Dell is currently all working on-line, and therefore full valid W10 licenses ... but I have no license code (was upgrade W200 > W7 >W10)

I had to delay upgrade for months as I could not find admin account password .......... I have now found this, so want to 'protect' myself, against being locked out again after upgrade.

How can I get to view the account & license details, I have full access from admin account.

Just don't want to get the 2 OS versions mixed up and end up being locked out of PC.

Sargan_499, Nov 11, 2018
  4. Aitch Win User

W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

clean install W10 on SSD designated drive B

Thanks Andre. I'd come across your article on how to do an upgrade to W10 which I didn't want to do as I wanted to maintain my W7 system/drive and data. But never saw your W10 clean install article. I'm done now but will give your article a thorough read.

Now I want to set up a dual boot for either W7 or W10 but each SSD drive is now designated "C".

Aitch, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

1. W10 OS Clean Install on SSD - Similar Threads - W10 Clean Install

2. Clean install of windows 11 on SSD current OS on HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install of windows 11 on SSD current OS on HDD: I am planing to install a SSD in my laptop, which already has HDD. laptop support SSD and HDD together. The currest OS on the HDD and i want to do a fresh install on the SSD, Please can anyone write a step by step guide on what to do, i am not confident on this....
  3. Clean install of windows 11 on SSD current OS on HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install of windows 11 on SSD current OS on HDD: I am planing to install a SSD in my laptop, which already has HDD. laptop support SSD and HDD together. The currest OS on the HDD and i want to do a fresh install on the SSD, Please can anyone write a step by step guide on what to do, i am not confident on this....
  4. Clean install of Windows 10 over existing W10 OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install of Windows 10 over existing W10 OS: I need to do a clean install of windows 10. My existing computer has it installed and works fine but will not update. I have a recovery drive and disk but keep getting error messages when I try to reinstall. At this point I would like to wipe my new SSD and do a clean install...
  5. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  6. Installing SSD & Clean install

Installing SSD & Clean install: Want to change out a HDD to SSD and also do a clean install (with no risk to licenses) of W10. What is best sequence. Install SSD first, do clean install pointing at SSD or do Clean install on HDD then move to SSD ? 121383
  7. Clean Install of OS

Clean Install of OS: I have a Dell PC that is running very slowly on W10 After all usual stuff, clearing junk, defrag etc., still not good enough - as its currently on an old HDD, going to install an SSD for the OS. Been advised to do a clean install rather than clone across an OS that might...
  8. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....
  9. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...
  10. Clean Install on a Working SSD?

Clean Install on a Working SSD?: My current installation has been upgraded several times from Windows 8 to Windows 10. What do I need to do to wipe the current installation on the SSD and do a new clean install? 62779