Windows 10: W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba)

Discus and support W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks it's definitely a windows update problem with version 1709. FROM Nas server -- cannot access windows shares vua samba anymore -- says... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Nov 21, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba)

Hi folks

it's definitely a windows update problem with version 1709.

FROM Nas server -- cannot access windows shares vua samba anymore -- says timeout on xxxxx - and this comes up immediately !!!

other windows machines have no problem.

Accessing the server FROM windows is OK but I need to access windows FROM the server as well (auto backups from server).

Any suggestions folks.

I actually didn't want this last update but some how windows set to auto update.

version is W10 pro 1709 build 16299.64

SAMBA on server running just fine -- TV's, phones etc can all access OK. SAMBA V4 (latest) being used on server.

Note Windows TO server works, Windows FROM server fails. I have 2 NAS servers and same problem -old Windows works but not the latest.

Tested also disabling BOTH sets of firewalls and Windows has all the allow remote access stuff enabled.

Is there some type of local security policy default enabled that wasn't there before. ??

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 21, 2017

2. SMB writes to remote computer freezes or dropps to 5kbs after creator update

After installing Windows [Version 10.0.15063] my access to NAS (RaspberryPI with USB disks connected) is nearly impossible.

Coping even few megabytes to the NAS takes a long time (minutes) and often does not finish - no errors on the Samba end , just connection from Windows goes dead. Speed seems to be around 5KB/s.

Same network and same NAS with my laptop :
    Windows [Version 10.0.14393] and all is working fine - 20+ MB/s - which is what I can expect from this setup and is enough for documents and source code backups.

Reading from the NAS Samba share is fast.

Reading from the laptops' share is fast.

Writing to laptops' share is 5KB/s slow as well. Laptop is sharing folder using the normal Windows SMB. All Microsoft.

Writing to NAS share , SAMBA , is slow.

Looks like any writes I do from the Creator Update computer are slow. Very Slow.

Has anybody got similar problem or solutions to a very slow , unreliable connection to SMB/Samba after the creators update?

PawelWarnenski, Nov 21, 2017
  3. Pin to Quick Access on a Mapped Network Drive

It seems to be a problem with the samba protocol, the problem is only on a NAS running linux. A large majority of NAS are using samba protocol for file sharing, that's a big problem...

boustalahit, Nov 21, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

I think you need to accept the new certificate that is all. Like if you update a VM then RDC will fail as certitficate has changed after update of Windows version.

For SAMBA I never had a problem - I know you always do with every upgrade - but since about Windows 8 I use this and never change it Code: # # /etc/fstab: static file system information # # <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass> UUID=b023985e-c449-4301-ae92-582e6d3c39b3 / btrfs defaults,compress 0 0 //192.168.1.100/Downloads /mnt/MacBook cifs credentials=/root/secret.txt,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,nounix,nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=1 0 0[/quote] with the "/root/secret.txt" being in plain text: Code: username=Hali domain=TP5 password=xxx{whatever}xxx[/quote]

5. heikwith Win User
    I got the same problem with my Buffalo NAS in W10 1607 and SMB 1.0 disabled. Enabling did the job here.
    Can it be that in W10 pro 1709 build 16299.64 SMB 1.0 CIFS File sharing Support is disabled.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...xploited_smb1/
    Can it be that your Samba needs SMB 1.0.
    Try an Firmware update of your NAS or try to enable SMB 1.0 again in W10 1709.

heikwith, Nov 21, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    There was also a security worry about using SMB 2 in 1709 and it was disabled by default. Perhaps that was it.

Guest access smb2 disabled by default in windows 10

I would say though that connecting using CIFS it has NEVER been a problem for me connecting from Linux to Windows. Jimbo seems to get a problem every upgrade so perhaps his security requirements are more extreme than mine.

I'm pretty lax - I even store my password in plain text (although root only access).

7. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Nov 21, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Now you mention it I've not tried. I only share Downloads from Windows which I have on C. I'll try sharing another partition or drive and see.

9. heikwith Win User
  10. Rogerfp Win User
    Try this
    Run gpedit.msc
    Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Network>Lanman Workstation
    Enable insecure guest logon = enabled
    The 1709 update has introduced a policy on Pro and higher version to disable the guest account by default

Rogerfp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba) - Similar Threads - W10 pro update

2. Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works: I have several shared directories on a Samba NAS server mapped on a couple windows 10 server. Yesterday after the latest Windows 10 upgrade I could no longer access my personal home share. I received a popup requesting my credentials password prompt. I entered the password...
  3. Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients: Hi folks there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix. the best way is to do the following 1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended...
  4. XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

XP to NAS / SAMBA shares: Hi folks If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system. (The NAS can usually by default...
  5. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  6. NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity

NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity: Hi folks I posted in the VM section but as a lot run NAS servers / Linux OS's I'll repeat the info as some don't use the VM section. You might find that after an update to SAMBA 4.8.X (4.7.x is ok and needs no change) that you lose connectivity, can't see your network from...
  7. Umounting Cifs (Samba) share from virtual (or physical) servers

Umounting Cifs (Samba) share from virtual (or physical) servers: Hi there If you've got a REAL or Virtual Linux server where you have some samba (cifs) shares mounted and the other computer serving the share goes down or has a problem it's easy to force umount the share(s) without needing a server reboot simply as root (or sudo) type...
  8. Update 1709 -- cannot now access W10 shares from Non Windows devices

Update 1709 -- cannot now access W10 shares from Non Windows devices: Hi there I KNOW this must be a 1709 update -- I have several Windows machines with earlier releases than 1709 and they all work. With 1709 my NON Windows devices cannot access Windows shares even though they see the computer and can ping it. Connecting via IP also doesn't...
  9. Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7

Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7: Hello everyone, I'm having this very annoying issue with samba shares. The server is running on a CentOS 7 distro with samba-4.1.12-23.el7_1.x86_64. My Windows 10 build is 10240. The shares are visible but when I try to connect it waits a while and then gives me this...
  10. Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s)

Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s): Hi folks If you are messing around with say Linux / NAS servers on VMs or even a mix of real / virtual sometimes you want to connect one NAS share to another NAS server without messing around with config files etc. This daisy chains shares across entire networks including...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. debian samba cannot be accesed from windows