Windows 10: W10 Pro x64 new install

Discus and support W10 Pro x64 new install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Ive been running W7 on my desktop for the last 10 years and its been running quite flawlessly. Since W7 wont be supported by Jan 2020 I decided... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by email2r2, Dec 22, 2019.

1. email2r2 Win User

W10 Pro x64 new install

Hello,
    Ive been running W7 on my desktop for the last 10 years and its been running quite flawlessly. Since W7 wont be supported by Jan 2020 I decided that it was time to upgrade to W10 (clean install with a legit license). It went quite smooth and Ive unplug the internet connection while doing it to avoid creating a windows account. So far so good and everything powered up like it should but with the default display resolution. I plug back the internet and saw that it was downloading updates for my different cards...audio + video. It boot again after installing but now the display (now with the appropriate resolution) is semi frozen on the blue window start-up logo. I can see the mouse, can open the start menu but if i try to open an application, all I still see is the blue logo. Funny because if I place the mouse on the small icon in the taskbar (like internet explorer) the icon change color and I can see that internet is running underneath. Im pretty sure it is the display update but I dont know how to reinstall and be able to choose which update it will install...like with W7 because it will just automatically update sand I still will be stucked. So I cant say Im impressed with this first attempt. Any suggestion is welcome...Thanks

:)

email2r2, Dec 22, 2019
  2. dcbdbis Win User

W10 Pro x64 1607 For businesses

Excellent!

Thank you for the links and the suggestions. For some reason I didn't think sysprep applied to W10. I will be performing the following steps:

a) SysPrep, then wireshark the resulting installation to a VM
    b) Then one by one the various tools to secure Windows 10. Again, followed by a wireshark session.

Then I'll report back here on the results as reported by Wireshark.

I really appreciate the help and assistance!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

dcbdbis, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Windows Memory Diagnostics Not Installed On W10 Pro x64

Hi, running W10 Pro x64 on a desktop with i7 5820k.

When I try to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic, I initiate the action and restart the computer.

However, during boot when it gets to the point where it is ready to run the Memory Diagnostic it gives me a message that the Memory Diagnostic (memtest.exe) is not installed, and it needs the memtest.efi file on the installation disk.

Unfortunately, when I try to run the Memory Diagnostic with the Windows System Desk in the tray, it does not give me an option to install memtest.efi. I'd install it manually, but I cannot understand how to get from memtest.efi to memtest.exe.

I have googled this, but it is not directly addressed anywhere, except for a few places recommending a Windows reinstall, which is not practical for me.

Any suggestions as to how to solve this will be appreciated.

thanks

northstar7, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Vayra86 Win User

W10 Pro x64 new install

W10 Home > Pro

Question:

right now I made a bootable USB for W10, off my current installation which is a W10 Home.

Monday I'll use that on my new rig but I want to move to W10 Pro on that one. Is this possible with my bootable USB setup? My guess is that you just re-pick your version based on the activation code, amirite?

Vayra86, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

W10 Pro x64 new install

1. W10 Pro x64 new install - Similar Threads - W10 Pro x64

2. New W10 Pro installation locks up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New W10 Pro installation locks up.: Hi, Running 20H2 build 19042.867 Recently did a complete re installation on a news SSD From time to time it just stops. I have a few DCOM errors but one error pointed to possibly the Windows Driver Foundation so I went hunting. I cannot find WUDFSVC.dll on this...
  3. Installing W10 Pro on a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing W10 Pro on a new computer: I am about to retire my old desktop (W10 Pro Microsoft account) and replace it with a new one. Is there any way I can install version 1809 on the new machine without having to pay extra for an upgrade from Home? I have a bootable 1809 thumb drive from which I assume I can use...
  4. Random BSODs and freezes on W10 Pro x64

Random BSODs and freezes on W10 Pro x64: I have to write this AGAIN so I'll just shorten it: had W8, W7 twice and W10, all of them with BSODs and freezes. ZIP is here Attachment 53275 (2 months with Win 8, one year with the first w7 install and one year with the second, using w10 since day one) BSODs used to be...
  5. Rebooted from bugcheck, W10/pro x64

Rebooted from bugcheck, W10/pro x64: This is something new. I figured it was a reboot from an OS update. But when I checked my update settings, I have notify for update, not automatic update set. My event log said there was a reboot from a bugcheck about 1130pm last night (while the PC was unattended). My PC...
  6. pneteth BSOD W10 Pro x64

pneteth BSOD W10 Pro x64: For some reason PdaNet is causing a BSOD when the process crashes. When I go to end the process in Task Manager, it causes a BSOD. :/ 97602
  7. Windows Memory Diagnostics Not Installed On W10 Pro x64

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Memory Diagnostics Not Installed On W10 Pro x64: Hi, running W10 Pro x64 on a desktop with i7 5820k. When I try to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic, I initiate the action and restart the computer. However, during boot when it gets to the point where it is ready to run the Memory Diagnostic it gives me a message that...
  8. W10 Pro x64 1607 For businesses

W10 Pro x64 1607 For businesses: Good Afternoon All, My company is looking at migrating to W10 from W7. I spent a lot of time on my workstation cleaning off the consumer oriented junk, and closing all the nefarious spyware/telemetry. I signed up for the W10 Enterprise edition trial and threw it in a VM,...
  9. Upgrade install from W8.1.1 Pro X64 to W10 TP X64

Upgrade install from W8.1.1 Pro X64 to W10 TP X64: I installed W10 TP as a VM under Oracle VB on two computers. 32 bit on one and 64 bit on the other. Both work very well and are reasonable quick as a VM. I decided I wanted to run it direct, so did a Macrium backup of my Acer laptop then did an upgrade using a mounted 64...
  10. W7-W10 Pro x64 Upgrade error

in Windows 10 Support
    W7-W10 Pro x64 Upgrade error: I updated my drivers and bios on my Dell E6230, then tried the update. I get the following error. [img] Can I get some direction on what to look for? Thanks. 35454