Windows 10: W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ?

Discus and support W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ex_Brit, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Ex_Brit Win User

W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ?

I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no idea what to do in Win 10 because of the dumbed down way everything behind the scenes is displayed, which appears not to have anything remotely resembling such a thing.
    Anyone else having similar issues? Or am I doomed with my now-almost-extinct 2009 Alienware machine?

:)

Ex_Brit, Jun 10, 2016

2. How to format a disk in windows 10 using Disk Management

Trying to format a blank external SATA drive for Windows 10 backup. Disk Management recognizes the drive, but greys out the Format option. ???

KendallDinwiddie, Jun 10, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Have 4 x 3.o Gb ports and 2 x 6 Gb ports. How do they differ?

A SATA II interface has a maximum throughput of 3 GB/s. A SATA III interface has a maximum throughput of 6 GB/s. That's in a laboratory. You won't see anything close to either of those in real life.

If you're connecting a SATA III device, use a SATA III port. If you're connecting a SATA II device, use a SATA II port.

BulldogXX, Jun 10, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

A few questions come to mind: is the drive plugged into a eSATA port on the computer and its cable rated as SATA II? Or is it in an External USB drive case that is plugged into a USB 2.0 port or maybe a USB 3.0 port?

Berton, Jun 10, 2016
  5. Ex_Brit Win User
    Sorry. It's a LaCie 3TB eSATA drive with a high speed 6Gb/s (as advertised, 80-wire I believe) cable plugged into my eSATA port. It's new and a replacement for a very ancient LaCie SATA II that died on me which worked fine for years using this cable. The BIOS is set to AHCI. The drive works as it should in Win7 but in my 2 X Win10 multi-boots the Post screen sometimes indicates SATA I when I'm booting between the 2 W10 OS's. It may be a false warning because Win 10 makes it impossible to really check the status of ATA channels.
    Here's a pic of Device Manager with the drive highlighted and the relevant sections expanded.

W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ? [​IMG]

Ex_Brit, Jun 10, 2016
  6. Ex_Brit Win User
    I think I've solved it - sort of, and this is rather complicated.
    I boot between systems a lot and when not in use the computer is powered completely off. The old external drive had a 3-way power switch: On, Auto and Off. Auto worked just fine for all systems and all scenarios.
    The new drive only has On and Off and the literature says that On is supposed to be Auto, but I've watched the drive sometimes power itself back on long after I turned my machine off. So....bear with me.....
    If I power the drive off when shutting down the PC or booting between systems then power the drive back on prior to the "Post" screen, all is well and it is detected every time as SATA II.
    Perhaps a handshake issue in which case I will try another cable as you suggested, when I can get one.

Regarding the ATA speed, I realised that if I tell Device Manager to show hidden devices, then all the channels display and they all seem to be Ultra DMA Mode 5 or 6, so that tells me things are normal...as normal as things can be in Windows. ;-)

Ex_Brit, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ? - Similar Threads - W10 Recognizes External

2. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  3. SATA drive issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SATA drive issues: I use a WD Black 6TB HDD SATA drive as a second drive for files not as a system drive. The operating system is on a M2 SSD. The drive has been working fine for a few weeks until I started getting an error message on startup saying that the $RECYCLE.BIN is corrupted. I get...
  4. external SATA drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external SATA drive: My win 10 cannot recognise my Prestigio external SATA drive when it previously can. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-sata-drive/5c2030a1-97ce-48d4-9f12-dc4980914ebf
  5. SATA CD drive

SATA CD drive: my HP desktop will not recognize the sata CD drives. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sata-cd-drive/5d6da69b-7d11-4954-9b7a-93a26cb3fb09
  6. SATA drives missing

SATA drives missing: My PC has just installed the latest Windows 10 updates but 2 of my drives are now missing. There should be a SATA HDD and Blue Ray disc drive. They are showing in the BIOS but when I checked Device Manager they are hidden, when I checked properties they are showing as...
  7. SATA III SSD shown as SATA II

SATA III SSD shown as SATA II: Hi everyone.*Nerd I have just noticed that my Intel 520 SSD Drive is showing as SATA II drive. Now, I am aware that it is connected to a SATA2_0 port controlled by native Intel SATA II controller on my mobo and current speed should be 3gb/s. Why does it say though that the...
  8. USB 3.0 Seagate SATA External Hard Drive Not Recognized Win. 10

USB 3.0 Seagate SATA External Hard Drive Not Recognized Win. 10: I recently purchased a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive and a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive flat docking station to connect via usb to my Dell XPS L702x laptop. Upon putting the hard drive in the external enclosure and connecting to my laptop via usb my computer is not...
  9. Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo: I have a DIY box with an Asus P5K-E mobo that provides SATA II ports. I upgraded to a pair of Samsung 850 EVO ssds and naturally got a great speed boost. Now I am getting greedy and thinking about doubling my gains with a SATA III controller card. I have been reading online...
  10. How do I install W10 to a SATA drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I install W10 to a SATA drive: When I download my free version of Windows 10, I want to install it to my 128gb SATA drive which is now labeled Drive S, and keep my current installation of Win 7 Ultimate on drive C in case I want to revert back to Win 7. How do I install Win 10 on my SATA drive, change...