Windows 10: W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested

Discus and support W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys. I got my Stimulus money yesterday in my Bank Account, and placed order for 2 2TB Samsung Evo Plus 970 SSD's. They should both arrive this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Skeet1983, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Skeet1983 Win User

W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested

Hi guys. I got my Stimulus money yesterday in my Bank Account, and placed order for 2 2TB Samsung Evo Plus 970 SSD's. They should both arrive this Wednesday. Here is my situation: I have an MSI GT75 Laptop, that has 3 SSD slots. Currently, the slots have 2 1TB Samsung Evo Plus 970s, and the other remaining slot has a 500GB SSD with the Windows 10 OS installed on it. Before I proceed with switching out and swapping around my SSD's, I have a few questions about the System Reformat process, as I think that would be the easiest way to do this.

- How should I go about doing the Reformat? What are my options?

- When I ordered my laptop about 3 years ago, it came with a bootable Windows 10 USB. If I use that, do I need to have an OS currently installed on one of the SSDs? Currently, the W10 OS is on the 500GB SSD and I am thinking about putting the OS on one of the 1TB SSD's I already have. For the 3 SSD slots that are under the Heat Sync, I would put the 1TB SSD (with the OS), and the 2 2TB SSD's.

My Windows 10 Version is 20H2

Thoughts and help appreciated *Smile

:)

Skeet1983, Jan 2, 2021

2. Installing W10 on a new SSD

Probably been asked a trillion times but I cannot find a straight forward answer.

I am soon to be changing my HDD for an SSD in my 6 month old Lenovo laptop, it came with W10 HOME pre installed with a partition for the drivers on the HDD.

If I put a new SSD in the laptop and then install W10 HOME will it automatically activate or will I have to buy a new licence as there is no key to activate on the underside of the laptop.

PeterWilkinson1964, Jan 2, 2021
  3. 27dgb Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on new SSD

hanks to all who have provided advice so far. Much appreciated. I am a novice to this process, so do not want to stuff it up. To date I have installed the SSD in a drive bay, but have not connected it to the motherboard. Once I have the step, by step details of what I need to do to install the current version of Windows 10, I will proceed further. Some of the steps I need to know about are:

1. Is the new SSD already formatted? If not, would this be done during the installation of W10 or do I need to format it beforehand?

2. If beforehand, what file system should I choose?

3. Do I disconnect the existing HDD from the motherboard before connecting the new SSD? If so, do I connect the SSD to the slot previously occupied by the HDD?

4. Do I plug in the USB with W10 on it before I restart my computer? If so, do I need to press any F key during startup to access the BIOS?

5. When I access the BIOS, what specifically do I do to ensure UEFI is used during installation?

6. What do I need to do once W10 is installed on the SSD and working with regard to the HDD? It currently has two partitions and I want to reformat it to once partition using UEFI so that I can store my data files on it.

27dgb, Jan 2, 2021
  4. W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested

1. W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested - Similar Threads - W10 Reformat Install

2. New SSD install partition help.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New SSD install partition help.: Hello. I am installing a new ssd and I need help with the partitions. I purchased a WD Black SN750 1tb. I installed it in my laptop (Alienware M15). I downloaded the windows 10 disc image iso file on a USB. I am in windows setup and I selected custom install and I'm on the...
  3. W10 ssd in new machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 ssd in new machine: Im getting a new system and putting my old ssd in the new system as the os drive. Do i need to reinstall Windows ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-ssd-in-new-machine/7e9d7623-86bb-4b2d-bc93-d89eef82d0c5
  4. w10 reformat question

w10 reformat question: I have a friend with a 7 year old dell inspiron and it came originally with 8.1 and he took the free upgrade to 10. If he reformats with 8.1 can it once again be upgraded for free with 10?...
  5. New W10 Install Slower On NVME Than SSD

New W10 Install Slower On NVME Than SSD: I have been using samsung 860 SSD over recent years and thought i would try m2 nvme 970. The boot on nvme is taking maybe more than double the amount of time on nvme to load windows compared to 860. Does that sound right ? I would expect the same if not quicker than SSD....
  6. Reformatting SSD and not HD

Reformatting SSD and not HD: Hello there! I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD. I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD. I...
  7. Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd: Hello, Got a new SSD and installed Windows 10 to it. Screenshot - 4088ea7e17f1f494fa39ca300dc6e2c2 - Gyazo Does this look correct? Or do i have some remnants from the old os or something because i have those system reserveds on the hdd. Or is it normal to have those....
  8. Install W10 on new SSD Failing

Install W10 on new SSD Failing: I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VPCYB15KX), a bit old but working nonetheless currently running Windows 7 Home Premium and works fine, but is quite slow so I decided to upgrade to an SSD. Picked up a crucial MX200 250 GB SSD and was going to upgrade to Windows 10 (fresh install)...
  9. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....
  10. How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd)

How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd): My current C: drive, won't refresh because of "unsupported layout for UEFI firmware". Research indicates that I would have to clean off the entire disk (4 partions) in order to make it GPT so the install could proceed. I have a 119GB SSD that I designated a GPT disk, but...