Windows 10: w10 reformat question

Discus and support w10 reformat question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a friend with a 7 year old dell inspiron and it came originally with 8.1 and he took the free upgrade to 10. If he reformats with 8.1 can it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MarkFuller2, Nov 23, 2019.

1. w10 reformat question

I have a friend with a 7 year old dell inspiron and it came originally with 8.1 and he took the free upgrade to 10. If he reformats with 8.1 can it once again be upgraded for free with 10?

:)

MarkFuller2, Nov 23, 2019
  2. saldy2 Win User

Reformat question

I have a 2 year old Dell desktop that runs slow, both pre and post Windows 10. I've decided to reformat the hard drive and start with a clean slate. My question ... I downloaded Windows 10 to a thumb drive, so can I use that a bootable disk when reformatting?
    Also, I don't recall getting a product key when I upgraded to W10, so will I need one after reformatting and loading? Thanks.

saldy2, Nov 23, 2019
  3. Recover or Reformat?

The reformat won't budge?

I did what you said and then was told to remove the CD from the CD-Rom Drive, put in the recovery CD and then press the 'OK' button to continue

So I changed to the next disk but the OK doesn't appear to be being 'pressed'. Yes I have pushed enter on the keyboard which is what I have been using to get me through the other steps..

Any suggestions?

Kymberly_S, Nov 23, 2019
  4. w10 reformat question

Reformat question

I downloaded Windows 10 to a thumb drive, so can I use that a bootable disk when reformatting?

-> Yes, you can.

Also, I don't recall getting a product key when I upgraded to W10, so will I need one after reformatting and loading?

-> No, you won't.

Silence

90% of all requests for help in this forum end with the phrase „All help will be appreciated” or words to this effect.

99% of all requests receive an answer.

40% of posters never acknowledge the help they receive.

Frederik Long, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

w10 reformat question

1. w10 reformat question - Similar Threads - w10 reformat question

2. W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested: Hi guys. I got my Stimulus money yesterday in my Bank Account, and placed order for 2 2TB Samsung Evo Plus 970 SSD's. They should both arrive this Wednesday. Here is my situation: I have an MSI GT75 Laptop, that has 3 SSD slots. Currently, the slots have 2 1TB Samsung Evo...
  3. Question about reinstalling W10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about reinstalling W10: Hi. I have a Lenovo laptop which has come preinstalled with W10. I have connected it to wifi and Windows shows as "activated". However as there are a lot of unwanted preinstalled apps, I was considering reinstalling W10 from scratch using a bootable USB created from...
  4. taskbar questions(W10)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    taskbar questions(W10): Going to make this super quick So i use Auto Hide and was wondering two things. Is there a way to speed up the task bar show/hide so that it pops up instantly when i put my mouse by it and it disappears instantly when i move my mouse away. I know removing the fade is a way to...
  5. Reformatting a DVD+R, 4.7 GB Disc - Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reformatting a DVD+R, 4.7 GB Disc - Question: Reformatting a DVD+R, 4.7 GB Disc - Question I was attempting to delete all files on a DVD disc that holds 4.7 GB. I did a reformat and the disc now shows 0 files. I then checked the Properties for the disc and it still shows most of my disc full. See screenshot #35. I then...
  6. Origin Problem And Reformat Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Origin Problem And Reformat Question: so i want to reformat my pc but i can't install origin is this gonna work? and if i do it do i lose my windows key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/origin-problem-and-reformat-question/a8720f9d-2f3c-486e-9c85-a713ff26327c"
  7. W10 Restore Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    W10 Restore Question: Good day all, We have a Windows 10 machine which would not boot correctly just after the most recent update from MS. Using a W10 repair USB drive we were able to bring the machine back up to normal working status. However, we now have a few missing files. Most notably we...
  8. W10 Reset question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Reset question: So I upgraded and want to reset it now, after I pick remove everything it gives the option to remove my files or remove files and clean the drive. What does it mean by cleaning the drive and will it **** with my windows being registered at all? 9219
  9. Question about W10 Image.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about W10 Image.: I usually back up my current system by making an image on another disk. I just did that, and thought I wonder if anyone's tested it for reliability. I mean is it still working as intended in W10 64? 26764
  10. W10 Reformats hard drive and reinstalls at least twice a day

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Reformats hard drive and reinstalls at least twice a day: I upgraded to W10 from W7 several months ago. In the succeeding week, W10 reconfigured my hard drive at least twice a day and, in the process, deleted all my files. Fortunately, I had a backup, but I replaced W10 with W8 and have had no problems since. I don't care to try W10...