Windows 10: W10 Reformats hard drive and reinstalls at least twice a day

Discus and support W10 Reformats hard drive and reinstalls at least twice a day in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to W10 from W7 several months ago. In the succeeding week, W10 reconfigured my hard drive at least twice a day and, in the process, deleted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hstahlke, Apr 19, 2016.

1. hstahlke Win User

W10 Reformats hard drive and reinstalls at least twice a day

I upgraded to W10 from W7 several months ago. In the succeeding week, W10 reconfigured my hard drive at least twice a day and, in the process, deleted all my files. Fortunately, I had a backup, but I replaced W10 with W8 and have had no problems since. I don't care to try W10 again.

:)

hstahlke, Apr 19, 2016
  2. Zio_Excel Win User

Having to do battery pull at least Twice a day to stop screen flickering and app close downs on HD7

I am having to reset my phone at least twice a day due to apps closing down and the screen will flicker randomly making it unresponsive. Will I have to hard reset? How do I back-up my apps? I am a Mac user.

Currently using the HD7

Zio_Excel, Apr 19, 2016
  3. Proton2 Win User
    Having to do battery pull at least Twice a day to stop screen flickering and app close downs on HD7

You should be able to hold down the power button for a short while to do the same kind of reset as pulling out the battery. Check your user manual for details. Don't have a user manual? Go to the website of your device manufacturer and download it from
    there.

Proton2, Apr 19, 2016
  4. Hydranix Win User

That's a pretty cool story.

So what was the issue that you came to the volunteer general support forum for?

Hydranix, Apr 19, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I guess Microsoft didn't share your taste in music.

NavyLCDR, Apr 19, 2016
  6. hstahlke Win User
    I tried to contact Microsoft back then about the problems, but didn't find this forum. Then today I got another popup, a somewhat more insistent one urging me to upgrade now or postpone, so I thought I'd post my experience and see if I was alone or if someone might have an idea what the problem was.

hstahlke, Apr 19, 2016
  7. hstahlke Win User
    Probably true. Would that it were as simple as that.

hstahlke, Apr 19, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

All kidding aside, I can say that W7 upgrades to W10 tend to have a lot of problems that are cured with a clean install (Not so much with Windows 8 upgrades). I have never seen what you've described though.

simrick, Apr 19, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    I've done nearly 30 Upgrades from both Win7 w/SP1 and Win8.1 without problem but will admit to getting the machines fully up-to-date and ran full antivirus and antimalware programs to assure they were as clean as possible.

Berton, Apr 19, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User

But it left the Police's "Ghost in the Machine" album alone ... too Spooky !*Huh

mrgeek, Apr 19, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    I must have done fairly similar too -- the VL license keys I got from the old TECHNET subscription are still valid and work for the upgrades. I've also installed into VM's running on both Windows and Linux hosts using vmware workstation and KVM (Hypervisor on Linux rather like Windows HYPER-V).

Can't say I've ever had any instability problem with any W10 upgrade I've done.

I've torn (what little I have left) my hair out with the randomness of Windows Networking at times - but that's par for the course with Windows -- a quick glance at the networking section on this Forum should just show people that Ms needs to work considerably on that area.

I've never on any version of Windows seen a request to format an HDD other than at initial install time unless you specifically request a reset Windows.

Cheers
    jimbo.

jimbo45, Apr 19, 2016
  12. That's a shame, because your issue wasn't Windows 10. Again, not to sound like a broken record, but if Windows 10 was broken, we'd all have the issue or issues. Reconfiguring your hard drives would require access to the system volume with Windows 10 running. If the drive was being reformatted, how was Windows 10 getting reinstalled? If you weren't doing this on purpose, then it sounds like some malware was causing you to lose files. Honestly, I don't know what to say, because the OS doesn't cause or have the ability to do what you've said was happening.

If you got to the point of activating Windows 10, a clean install would solve the issue.

DeaconFrost, Apr 19, 2016
  13. hstahlke Win User

What you say makes a lot of sense. I suspect it was malware, but it was connected with W10 somehow because it happened only after I installed it and stopped after I went to W8.

hstahlke, Apr 20, 2016
  14. If you had malware present with Windows 10, then it is possible it was wiped and removed by installing 8.

DeaconFrost, Apr 20, 2016
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Exactly. Time to try W10 again and be careful about what software you install.
    Have Malwarebytes or similar handy never hurt anyone.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 Reformats hard drive and reinstalls at least twice a day - Similar Threads - W10 Reformats hard

2. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidently reformatted hard drive: How can I re-install Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-reformatted-hard-drive/6ec8bc4d-6d70-43e8-8689-d1688888aa80
  3. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidently reformatted hard drive: How can I re-install Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-reformatted-hard-drive/6ec8bc4d-6d70-43e8-8689-d1688888aa80
  4. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reformatting A Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reformatting A Hard Drive: I have an issue with a hard driveIt needs do be reformatted buy its on read only but but I cant set it to read only thehard drive was used so i tried to change the setting of security. It greyed out...
  6. Hard drive appears twice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive appears twice: My file explorer shows my d drive twice. I have already did the suggested regedit to remove it. After doing that the drive remains. Also the key that you need to remove is not in the registry. Any Ideas? Is is possible to manually enter the key then delete it?...
  7. reformatting my hard drive

reformatting my hard drive: Previous old answers to this question did not answer how to format and wipe a hard drive in order to completely reload a PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reformatting-my-hard-drive/92a215f1-7444-4a89-bca4-e11b8146e1b8
  8. Reformatting Hard Drives.

Reformatting Hard Drives.: I am in the process of backing up my entire PC to an external hard drive including a system image. After backing up I want to reformat my existing internal hard drive that contains the windows 10 operating system. My question is: Can I reinstall windows 10 after I have...
  9. BSOD at least twice a day after upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD at least twice a day after upgrade: Hey all. I've been experiencing the BSOD after finally making the upgrade to Windows 10. The crash is attributed to POWER_STATE_DRIVE_FAILURE which from my understanding is a very generic exception. WhoCrashed application reveals it to be an issue with ntkrnlmp.exe, but this...
  10. Need Hard Drive reformatting help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need Hard Drive reformatting help: Hello everyone, I have got a external hard drive that was used for extra storage with a Dish DVR. We now want to format it for use on windows now. I been doing some research on it and everything so far I tried, didnt work. I have tried using Western Digitals Tool to do...