Windows 10: W10 Restore Question

Discus and support W10 Restore Question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Good day all, We have a Windows 10 machine which would not boot correctly just after the most recent update from MS. Using a W10 repair USB drive we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Pachuco, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Pachuco Win User

W10 Restore Question

Good day all,

We have a Windows 10 machine which would not boot correctly just after the most recent update from MS. Using a W10 repair USB drive we were able to bring the machine back up to normal working status. However, we now have a few missing files. Most notably we have six WMP playlists that store about 10,000 songs. Since creating those Playlists we have edited and refined them to meet our specifications. Now the edited Playlists are MIA.

We have a full system BU using W10 Backup stored on an attached USB 3.0 external drive. We would like to restore from that back-up but we wand to be sure that we will not loose some critical files that were created since that back-up was created.

I believe those new files will be OK and will not be deleted. Still, could someone please confirm that for us, or not?

Thank you all,

:)

Pachuco, Feb 21, 2016

2. How is Norton Ghost for w10?

Hello Hula_Baloo:

I have no experience of using BACKUP/RECOVERY in w10. MY question will be

simple.

You use BACKUP/RECOVERY in w10 for years, do you also use SYSTEM POINT/RESTORE

of w10 build-in function?

Sorry trouble you again. --Zhao

HonglinZhao, Feb 21, 2016
  3. Gmak1520 Win User
    Windows 10 backup-restore rudimentary-advanced questions.

I need some aid with W10 Backup-Restore. However, I've been using it

for well over a year now, and still have some questions. Also, I want to

confirm my backup strategy to ensure I'm not missing-overlooking any-

thing. I'm still having some difficulty understanding some components.

This system is W10 Pro - 1607(build 14393.693), with a 4TB external USB3.0

backup unit. Additional USB2 units exist via hub for various data storage.

File history=off, and only Backup-Restore(W7 variant) used.

Is this forum the best-correct place to talk W10 Backup-Restore ? I guess

this could somewhat fit either "question post", or "discussion post".

Thank you.

Gmak1520, Feb 21, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

W10 Restore Question

.................We have a full system BU using W10 Backup stored on an attached USB 3.0 external drive. We would like to restore from that back-up but we wand to be sure that we will not loose some critical files that were created since that back-up was created.

How about backup those critical files first, then run the system image backup.

If all goes well, copy those files back to the system and create a new system image backup.

davidhk, Feb 21, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Why don't you just restore (copy) the MIA files from the backup. Open the backup. If it is a VHD, mount that with disk management and pick the files you need.

6. Pachuco Win User
    Well, because I have never done this before and I did not know it could be done. You W10 Gurus should remember us 86 year old folks sometimes need a little help. Not much, just a little. Thank you.

Pachuco, Feb 21, 2016
  7. Pachuco Win User
    Thank you for that superb idea! Simple is always best. Brillant.

Paucho

Pachuco, Feb 21, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

W10 Restore Question

If you need further help with this operation, let me know. I like to help older people. I am only 80 and hope to be as alert as you are once I am 86.

9. I definitely agree with the end result here, but I will say that there are third party tools that do this more inclusively.

Programs like Comodo Time Machine or Rollback Rx will do a much more comprehensive backup. You're losing some versatility on things like hardware failiure, but in my tests I find these tools work well for recovery from a wide variety of issues.

Just my two cents *Nerd

HanginJang, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

W10 Restore Question

1. W10 Restore Question - Similar Threads - W10 Restore Question

2. Restoring windows question:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring windows question:: So early today i suffered from a win 10 bug which prevented me from right clicking files and caused the hourglass loading symbol for me. I couldn’t find the necessary registry files to fix it and restarting the explorer didn’t work. I did a virus scan and I got no sign of...
  3. Question about reinstalling W10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about reinstalling W10: Hi. I have a Lenovo laptop which has come preinstalled with W10. I have connected it to wifi and Windows shows as "activated". However as there are a lot of unwanted preinstalled apps, I was considering reinstalling W10 from scratch using a bootable USB created from...
  4. taskbar questions(W10)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    taskbar questions(W10): Going to make this super quick So i use Auto Hide and was wondering two things. Is there a way to speed up the task bar show/hide so that it pops up instantly when i put my mouse by it and it disappears instantly when i move my mouse away. I know removing the fade is a way to...
  5. w10 reformat question

w10 reformat question: I have a friend with a 7 year old dell inspiron and it came originally with 8.1 and he took the free upgrade to 10. If he reformats with 8.1 can it once again be upgraded for free with 10?...
  6. Restore Point question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Point question: I have restore point space limited to 2Gigs on my Tablet. I've noticed that when a new restore point is created at the top of the list, an old one is removed from the bottom of the list. Sooner or later, I will end up with totally new restore points. Is there a way to save...
  7. backup and restore question

backup and restore question: Hi everyone, I clean installed windows 10 from previously having windows 7, however I noticed in control panel>system and security>backup and restore, that it shows windows 7 in brackets. I've posted a screenshot below, and a screenshot of the next screen if I click on...
  8. Restore points in W10

Restore points in W10: I like to have some kind of safety net - a reinstall is always possible but dull. Restore points are one option but I like to have several options since we know that restore points are very volatile. For the purpose I tried AOMEI OneKey which worked perfectly.. One Key...
  9. Restore points question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restore points question: Is there anyway to save a restore point to an external drive? Every time I do a repair in-place install, I lose all my restore points. 81267
  10. W10 Reset question

W10 Reset question: So I upgraded and want to reset it now, after I pick remove everything it gives the option to remove my files or remove files and clean the drive. What does it mean by cleaning the drive and will it **** with my windows being registered at all? 9219