Windows 10: W10 seeing speakers and headphones as same device

Discus and support W10 seeing speakers and headphones as same device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My old Surface Pro/W10 setup saw the speakers and headphone as separate things; so when I plugged in my headphones it would revert to the settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wanstronian, Feb 17, 2020.

1. W10 seeing speakers and headphones as same device

My old Surface Pro/W10 setup saw the speakers and headphone as separate things; so when I plugged in my headphones it would revert to the settings previously in use. So I used to have my speakers muted to avoid annoying colleagues with system sounds, then W10 would automatically unmute when I plugged my headphones in.

My new Dell XPS appears to see the speakers and headphones as the same device ("Speakers/Headphones" in control panel, as opposed to separate devices on my SP). So I have to constantly remember to mute/unmute depending on what I'm doing.

Is this a limitation of the chipset of the Dell, or a setting in Windows, or something else? It's really basic functionality so I'm amazed it isn't available on my new machine.

Win ver 1909; build 18363.657

Thanks

:)

wanstronian, Feb 17, 2020
  2. Ivy Mun Win User

Speakers and headphones work at the same time

Hi.

Let us isolate your concern by answering these few questions.

• Have you tried connecting your headphones directly to your desktop?
    • Does your speaker work normally when connected to your desktop?
    You may try the following steps to help resolve your concern:

• Unplug or Disconnect your speaker from the desktop.
    • Connect your headphone directly to the desktop.
    If the headphone works properly when directly connected to the desktop, we suggest that you contact your speaker manufacturer for assistance.

Let us know how it goes.

Ivy Mun, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Headphones and Speakers not showing up in playback devices

Hi Jonathan,

To help us identify the cause of the issue and then find the proper resolution for it, please tell us if you made any significant hardware or software changes on your laptop prior to this issue. Also, can you provide us the steps you have already taken to
    try to resolve the issue? In the meantime, follow these steps on how you can enable your playback devices:

• Right-click on the speaker icon on the taskbar and select Sounds.
    • Under the Playback tab, right-click on the default speakers and select
      Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices. Your headphones or speakers should now appear here.
    • Right-click the headphones or speakers and select Enable.

Keep us updated with the results.

Aileen Alf, Feb 17, 2020
  4. txstoby Win User

W10 seeing speakers and headphones as same device

Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in

I have an HP laptop with windows 10. When my headphones are plugged in, the speakers are still playing. When I go to sounds, the only device listed is the speakers. How can I silence the speakers when the headphones are plugged in.

txstoby, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

W10 seeing speakers and headphones as same device

1. W10 seeing speakers and headphones as same device - Similar Threads - W10 seeing speakers

2. No Speaker/Headphone Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Speaker/Headphone Device: I have had the issue that suddenly I lacked an audio output for my headphones. I shut off every other driver in my device manager and I am left with just a microphone option as an input but no outputs. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the high definition audio driver and am...
  3. No Speaker/Headphone Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Speaker/Headphone Device: I have had the issue that suddenly I lacked an audio output for my headphones. I shut off every other driver in my device manager and I am left with just a microphone option as an input but no outputs. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the high definition audio driver and am...
  4. No Speaker/Headphone Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Speaker and headphone output device recognized as the same?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Speaker and headphone output device recognized as the same?: Hi, I'm not sure how to explain this problem. Basically, the headphones are working fine, the microphone attached to the headphone works fine, but the volume for both speaker and headphones are the same. What's more, when I check the audio devices, only the speaker appears......
  6. PC recognizes speakers and headphones as same device

PC recognizes speakers and headphones as same device: Hi there, It's been a while I've got this issue and never wanted to go through it until today. The problem is that my audio keeps playing from one device at time. I've got my speakers plugged rear jack+USB in and headphones front jack as well. Windows recognizes them as one...
  7. Headphones and speakers considered the same device.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones and speakers considered the same device.: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/ug82cbczuwk41.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=1a287333edbf70185411f2e7e7e0de31dea5b07c For some odd reason both headphones and laptop speakers are being recognised as the same device. How do I sort them out as two separate devices...
  8. Headphones and speakers playing at the same time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Headphones and speakers playing at the same time: Yesterday i was trying to fix an issue with microphone echo on my new lenovo laptop which led to me reintalling my audio drivers after this both my speakers and headphones are playing at the same time. my headphones are not showing up in playback devices or recording devices...
  9. Speakers and headphones working same time and headphones don't show up in devices when...

Speakers and headphones working same time and headphones don't show up in devices when...: Recently after a windows update, my HP laptop (HP Notebook-15-ay191ms) started playing audio thru my headphones and my speakers at the same time. When I plug my headphones into the front port the laptop recognizes they are plugged in, and when I unplug it recognizes that as...
  10. Using headphones and speakers at the same time.

Using headphones and speakers at the same time.: I recently bought a new headset and desktop. I just tried out the headset and found it to be amazing, but I was wondering how I could get sound to go through both the headset and speakers on my speakers system. The desktop is in Windows 10, and it's a Lenovo, and I can...