Windows 10: W10 Spring Creators Update 2018 (1803) Bricked my PC

Discus and support W10 Spring Creators Update 2018 (1803) Bricked my PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I defer any major feature update for 6 months to let others iron out the faults created by dodgy MS software engineering. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Steve C, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Steve C Win User

W10 Spring Creators Update 2018 (1803) Bricked my PC

I defer any major feature update for 6 months to let others iron out the faults created by dodgy MS software engineering.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018

2. Basically, I am unable to access anything except settings. All my files icons are locked and just opening up the File Explorer makes it go "Not Responding".

I would take a screenshot and post it here, but that is impossible because I can't open up anything except settings. Before I attempt a rollback, is there anything I could do?

Specs: AMD FX 8320
    R9 270X
    8 GB RAM
    1 TB HDD
    256 GB SSD <- Windows 10 is installed here
    128 GB SSD

Everything worked perfectly before this update.

The interesting thing is that I did the exact update on my laptop, went through the exact same procedures, yet there are no perceivable issues on my laptop. So why is it broken on my desktop?

:)

ThatOthell, Apr 10, 2018
  3. Windows 10 RedStone 4 release date??????????

I realised that version number is really release date (with some slip in spring release) with 2 digits for year and 2 digits for month so there is hope that 1803 will be 2018 03 (march) with couple of weeks slip. It may also be the date of the date system
    is compiled before release.

N/A
    July 29, 2015

November Update
    November 10, 2015

Anniversary Update
    August 2, 2016

Creators Update
    April 5, 2017

Fall Creators Update
    October 17, 2017

Spring Creators Update
    Early 2018

TBA
    Late 2018

Krzysztof Sobierajski, Apr 10, 2018
  4. W10 Spring Creators Update 2018 (1803) Bricked my PC

Windows 10 Spring 2018 Creators Update - How to get it now

This years (2018) Spring update has not yet been released. Should be available as early as April 2nd or as late April 9th or 10th.

Please note that since I have not yet installed it since it not yet available the instruction posted are:

1) At this time is temporary and subject to change once the Spring Creators Update (version 1803) is released.

2) Some information is at this time based on last years Fall Creators Update (Version 1709 / Build 16299) and will be updated once this years (2018) Spring Creators Update is released. For now just substitute
    Spring wherever you see the word Fall in the details listed below.

J W Stuart, Apr 10, 2018
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

can you open Windows (reboot) in SAFE MODE or "Repair system"

That often works.

Otherwise quickest way is to perform an Image restore (you DID take one before a major update didn't you !!!!).

Free macrium etc make this job simple so there shouldn't be any reason for NOT having a backup.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 10, 2018
  6. sgage Win User
    If you can boot at all, your computer is not 'bricked'. Broken, but not bricked.

sgage, Apr 10, 2018
  7. Davy49 Win User
    Hi All,
    As jimbo stated "Free macrium etc make this job simple so there shouldn't be any reason for NOT having a backup." , that's saved me more than once ! I also have used a 'rescue disc', to get my system functioning properly once again...also a 'system disc' has helped me previously. ThatOthell, I know how you feel..it's rather frustrating when our system's act up on us, but at least for me..that's how we learn.
    David *Wink

Davy49, Apr 10, 2018
  8. W10 Spring Creators Update 2018 (1803) Bricked my PC

There are literally thousands of variables that would differ from your laptop to the desktop. It's impossible to test for every setup, which is why Microsoft is asking the community to do some of that testing and report back what doesn't work.

That all being said, you quickly realize how embarrassing and ridiculous it is that Apple has so many issues with phone and OSX updates.

DeaconFrost, Apr 10, 2018
  9. Davy49 Win User
    I'd STILL rather have windows any day than an apple product !!
    David *Tongue

Davy49, Apr 10, 2018
  10. Hi,
    Besides you who the heck brought up Apple and why would you lol *Biggrin

ThrashZone, Apr 10, 2018
  11. Seemed relevant at the time, given another prominent thread on this subsection.

DeaconFrost, Apr 10, 2018
  12. Hi,
    Not so much to me but seems you want the flame to continue in other threads *Tongue

ThrashZone, Apr 10, 2018
  13. Davy49 Win User

I won't mention apple again..but maybe banana..*Biggrin

Davy49, Apr 10, 2018
  14. How did you upgrade and where did you get your install media? It's not officially released yet, as far as I know? Just want to confirm you used a reputable source.

alphanumeric, Apr 10, 2018
  15. Tip noted, I will use this the next time I'm having trouble.

Most of my work is done on Google Drive (Docs, Slides etc.) so backup never really come to mind, especially after my PC has worked year after year using Windows 10 while never having any issues even when it comes to updates EXCEPT this time.

Yup I know there are thousands of variables, but that is exactly what I found strange, how come it is so stable and so unstable on the other, when my lower-spec laptop had no issues.
    Checked for updates (Windows Update on local PC in settings) at approximately 7:00 PM PST and installed the updates at 11:00 PM PST.

ThatOthell, Apr 11, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 Spring Creators Update 2018 (1803) Bricked my PC - Similar Threads - W10 Spring Creators

2. Spring Creators Update 2018

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Spring Creators Update 2018: Quick question [PANIC] is the HP 15-f010 wm compatible with the update because last time I tried I had to reinstall windows and I'm trying again (Note to self: GOD IM SO SMART BUT SO STUPID AT THE SAME TIME)...
  3. windows 10 spring creators update

windows 10 spring creators update: Can't do update. Finds issues. Avira Antivir. The suggested file Avipbb.sys is not found & all old Avira folders are deleted. I ran AviraRegistercleaner in safe mode & it completed successfully. Back in regular mode & get the same issue with update. I am not currently using...
  4. Windows 10 spring update 2018

Windows 10 spring update 2018: Why do people STILL put up with the arrogant attitude put forth by the Microsoft organization? On 4 occasions Windows 10 tried to update my system with the spring 2018 creators upgrade. On the 4th attempt, it bricked my computer. AND I MEAN BRICKED. I spent a full 3...
  5. Windows 10 1803 spring creators edition file sorting issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 1803 spring creators edition file sorting issue: Hi all! I installed the newest Windows 10 edition, the spring creators update 1803 and encountered a weird issue regarding file sorting. I usually sort files by date and group by type. This worked in the previous editions, now, grouping by type does not work. Is someone...
  6. Some Start Screen Apps Not Working After 1803 Spring Creators Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some Start Screen Apps Not Working After 1803 Spring Creators Update: ....... after the 1803 Spring Creators Update some apps with live tiles are not working. One of them is the Asparion Clock tile and the other is the World Clock - Time Zones. I uninstalled the apps and reinstalled twice, still not working. If I click on the app tile, the...
  7. Windows 10 Mail App issue after Springs Creators Update Version 1803

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail App issue after Springs Creators Update Version 1803: I updated to the Springs Creators Update Version 1803. I have about 6 email registered on the Windows Mail App, but only 3 are showing on the left side under accounts. If I go to Manage Accounts all emails show up. I have done a Reset on the Windows Mail app and re-register...
  8. another way to get Creators Update (spring)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    another way to get Creators Update (spring): Installed 1803 from a converted ISO back before April 10th, after backing up all the data, currently having no issues--in place upgrade at the time, planning clean install when real build comes out whenever that is. So far runs all my games good, and such. I know was taking a...
  9. Disable Cortana and Web Search for the Spring Creators Update (1803)

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Cortana and Web Search for the Spring Creators Update (1803): Try this one, but it probably does not work for Home. Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "DoNotUseWebResults" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f Policy CSP - Search | Microsoft Docs[/quote] No luck with this one too for Home ed. Thanks for...
  10. Preparing System for Spring Creators

in Windows 10 Support
    Preparing System for Spring Creators: Hi All Preparing system for the upcoming Spring Creators, right now removed with Revo uninstaller games hardly used, backed up personal files, and such, debating on leaving Avast in or using Defender on my Intel I7 Desktop. Might do a clean install of the Spring...