Windows 10: W10 Stop Code (BSOD) NTFS system failed when connecting external HD

Discus and support W10 Stop Code (BSOD) NTFS system failed when connecting external HD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have an older (2011-12) Compaq laptop that I use around the shop, mainly to access service and parts manuals for the various machines that come in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EVT Master, Aug 22, 2019.

1. W10 Stop Code (BSOD) NTFS system failed when connecting external HD

I have an older (2011-12) Compaq laptop that I use around the shop, mainly to access service and parts manuals for the various machines that come in for repairs. I upgraded to W10 when the free upgrade became available. I believe the latest update installed is 1903. For several years I have downloaded and saved these PDF files to an Axiom Mobile D 250gb external drive which was originally formattes to NTFS. About 3 weeks ago I began experiencing BSODs and stop code errors as soon as I connected the Axiom drive to the laptop. The error messages refer to a failure with the NTFS system. The laptop functions fine without the drive connected. Also, when I connect any of my thumb drives (also formatted NTFS) W10 recognizes the drive but when I try to access it the screen shows the drive to be empty. I have tried a system restore to a point prior to the 1903 installation with no success. Can anyone tell me what has happened and how to correct it? It is crucial that I access or recover these files.

:)

EVT Master, Aug 22, 2019

2. NTFS versus exFAT.. what is the difference for an external HD?

I'm setting up a WD 3TB external hard drive. The file system is exFAT -- but I've always used NTFS for Ex HDs.... Is there any major difference?

I've been Googling, but it's confusing...it seems exFAT is used mainly for flash drives. I think exFAT is newer? It seems to have some advantages, apparently faster, (and works with Apple, etc., which I don't
    need.) But it looks like NTFS has better security, and does journaling...

I use the external HDs for basic backup, and keep it connected all the time.

I'm very tempted to re-format it to NTFS.

My desktop PC is running Windows 10.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

StevenErnest, Aug 22, 2019
  3. After W10 Anniversaryupdate, external HD not recognized

I have three WD external harddisks on my system, two are recognized after W10 anniversary update but the third (biggest and most recent, USB3, used for backup) is gone. Windows on this pc does not see anything. If I plug something else in same port, it gets
    recognized and installed. Dirve - nothing. Drive light does come on, then nothing.

Rolled back update - still no HD. Changed USB ports - all working, printer, smaller external HD's working also on different ports. Re-started several times, no change.

BUT: WD system works fine when plugged in on Lenovo laptop with W10 anniversary editions. Dat accessible, normal NTFS.

No error messages on USB port drivers in system management panels.

Any ideas? Other drives too small to serve as backup....

TIA

Frans

Frans_C_Cornelis, Aug 22, 2019
  4. W10 Stop Code (BSOD) NTFS system failed when connecting external HD

W10 with "Storage Spaces" and external HD

After the latest update, when I plug in an external HD it gets renamed to something like "Test to check for updating to W10"and I get a report of storage problems. The HD has my system backups on it but they are not available, there is a random selection
    of my files showing in explorer.

Google shows others have similar problems. The common factors seem to be: W10 creators, Storage Spaces and an external HD.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

JohnRussell200, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

W10 Stop Code (BSOD) NTFS system failed when connecting external HD

1. W10 Stop Code (BSOD) NTFS system failed when connecting external HD - Similar Threads - W10 Stop Code

2. STOP CODE: NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    STOP CODE: NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hello, My laptop crashed yesterday and has been stuck in a loop of restarting after showing the blue screen with "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart, we'll restart it for you" and stop code: NTFS FILE SYSTEM I have tried sending it into the recovery mode by...
  3. STOP CODE: NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    STOP CODE: NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hello, My laptop crashed yesterday and has been stuck in a loop of restarting after showing the blue screen with "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart, we'll restart it for you" and stop code: NTFS FILE SYSTEM I have tried sending it into the recovery mode by...
  4. STOP CODE: NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What is stop code ntfs file system

What is stop code ntfs file system: What is stop code ntfs file system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-stop-code-ntfs-file-system/8ad61057-fc17-4a7a-93e5-029c23c60be1
  6. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  7. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  8. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

9. Windows stop code NTFS file system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows stop code NTFS file system: So I was in the middle of a of resetting my pc, I pressed remove everything and then it started to reset everything. When it was 47% done I got the blue screen. Then I got stuck in a restart loop. It would restart, then bring up the blue screen saying it needed to restart...
  10. Stop Code NTFS File System

Stop Code NTFS File System: I was resetting my HP All In One computer and it got to 58% and acted like it was going to do a restart. When it came back up it was a blue screen that said the PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart it for you. Below that it said to use this code: NTFS...