Windows 10: W10 Tech Preview upgraded to full version. Huh? Is that expected?

Discus and support W10 Tech Preview upgraded to full version. Huh? Is that expected? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, This is more curiosity that anything - I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth... I had two installations of the tech preview: One on an ex-XP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by vk3diw, Aug 10, 2015.

1. vk3diw Win User

W10 Tech Preview upgraded to full version. Huh? Is that expected?

Hi,
    This is more curiosity that anything - I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth...
    I had two installations of the tech preview: One on an ex-XP Dell laptop for my father to play around with, and one in a VM.

About 5 days ago my dad reported that it had "done something" and I found that it had upgraded to the full W10 Pro version. Yesterday, my W10 (which was running build 10130 in a vm) said there were updates - and installing them, it installed W10 Pro.

Am I missing something here? I know the upgrades are free to 7/8/8.1 - but are they upgrading all tech preview builds as well? certainly nice to have a new Windows 10 machine, virtual or not.
    I still will hang onto my main Windows 7s - I don't think W10 is desktop friendly, but well...cool... and the info may help someone with that old laptop they don't want to spend OS money on.

Cheers

:)

vk3diw, Aug 10, 2015
  2. dvey22# Win User

Technical Preview isn't allowing me to get my reservation to Windows 10 RTM

I think I have two issues here, which may be related. I'm currently running W10 Tech Preview build 10162 (which I'm hearing isn't the last build). I cannot update this version after the release of W10 RTM. I'm not getting the Window 10 app icon in my
    system tray and I cannot reserve my upgrade. What can I do to get Win10 RTM? I was running Windows 7 prior to upgrading to W10 tech preview.

dvey22#, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Problems with Windows 10 update from 10/22/2015

Hello all,

I installed the new update this morning. I have been part of the Preview program until one of the updates this summer converted my installation to the "Full Version" of Windows 10 Home. The update rolled it back to the "Insider Preview build 10565". Can
    anyone tell me why this happened? I upgraded from v8.1 to the Insider Preview and then to the Full Version of 10 Home. I am just confused as to why they would go backward from the full version to the tech preview.

thanks for any help in advance

Stephen

StephenP_., Aug 10, 2015
  4. pparks1 Win User

I'm pretty sure if you stay in the Insider program, your tech previews indeed update to Windows 10. Mine did.

pparks1, Aug 10, 2015
  5. vk3diw Win User
    okaay. that was it? cool .... and good to hear, because with this one I've been trying to feed back as much as possible, so it's good when they return the courtesy.
    current battle is with trying to tailor what the start menu looks like ... but I'd better post that in an appropriate thread.
    thanks, pparks1!

vk3diw, Aug 10, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    In an elevated command prompt type slmgr /xpr and make sure you have a permanent activation and not a preview that will expire.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 Tech Preview upgraded to full version. Huh? Is that expected? - Similar Threads - W10 Tech Preview

2. huh?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    huh?: every time I switch a window, the heart with the thingy appears next to the downloads in my Microsoft Edge,since I use it. what is it and why it only appears when i don't look at edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/huh/6bb6c55a-b700-4274-8708-29f9e055ff50
  3. huh?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    huh?: every time I switch a window, the heart with the thingy appears next to the downloads in my Microsoft Edge,since I use it. what is it and why it only appears when i don't look at edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/huh/6bb6c55a-b700-4274-8708-29f9e055ff50
  4. huh

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    huh: What happened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/huh/22ff75ea-2a87-4b03-a8b4-de633ce746cc
  5. HUH

in Cortana
    HUH: I click the search box and it turns black. I click it and it works. Another bug in 20h1? It also turns black in the start menu, and I can also open both the search and the start menu at the same time....
  6. huh

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    huh: why do computers slow down to a crawl? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/huh/ca298913-6097-462e-8965-d278bbcda527
  7. Metro/Modern version of IE - is it in W10 tech preview?

in Browsers and Email
    Metro/Modern version of IE - is it in W10 tech preview?: I'm just playing with 32-bit Windows 10 in Oracle VirtualBox. I can't find the Metro version of IE - has it gone? (It was never something I liked in Windows 8, but I can imagine it would be useful for folks using tablets and touchscreens.) 2049
  8. Windows Update Prompting an Upgrade to Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Prompting an Upgrade to Tech Preview: Hello all, I'm running Windows 7 Ult x64 and I continue to receive this notification upon startup: [img] Showing more details: [img] Any ideas on how to remove? It's quite annoying. Choosing "Hide Update" doesn't work. Thanks! 2209
  9. Is Windows 10 tech preview as updted as Win10 official version?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Windows 10 tech preview as updted as Win10 official version?: I currently am dual-booting windows 8 and windows 10 tech preview and of course I've been offered a free upgrade to windows 10 on my windows 8 partition (And I prefer windows 8 because I had crashing problems with some games in 10 TP). I was wondering, are they (Win 10 TP...
  10. Possible to install W10 preview as upgrade now?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Possible to install W10 preview as upgrade now?: I have more time on my hands now than what I will when W10 is officially released later this month. So, I wondered if it were possible to install the latest W10 preview as upgrade to W7-64bit now, then when W10 is released, just do an update with the proper W10 product key...