Windows 10: W10 threw away printer and scanner

Discus and support W10 threw away printer and scanner in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I used an HP printer for months after 'upgrading' to windows 10. Suddenly it stopped appearing - apparently after an overnight update. It seems it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Fedup10, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Fedup10 Win User

W10 threw away printer and scanner

I used an HP printer for months after 'upgrading' to windows 10. Suddenly it stopped appearing - apparently after an overnight update. It seems it is an 'old' printer, and I had to go and reload the drivers. Now it works. How can that possibly make any sense - either the thing works or it doesn't - by what right was it thrown away without comment or question?

I have only brought this up because even later than that my Canon scanner has just disappeared overnight, no comment, no questions. Since it's been working for ages under 10, why oh why has someone decided that last night it must stop?

I'm getting teed off with this random arrogant junking of my kit - what should I expect to go next?

More importantly - anybody know how to get a Canoscan 8800 back under W10?

:)

Fedup10, Feb 7, 2016

2. Canon MP980 multifunction printer works but scanner is not on Windows 10.

Original Title: Canon MP980 multifunction driver for W10

After the installation of W10 on my Surface Pro3 my multifunction printer (Canon MP980) needed to reinstall the drivers. As Canon does not support W10 for this high-end printer (!!!), I reinstalled the driver for W 8.1.

Printer works fine, but the scanner does not work at all! The only message displayed says scanner is not connected (?), but printer works fine, so wireless connection is working correctly.

Can someone help?

Jorge Calado, Feb 7, 2016
  3. tdug Win User
    Windows 10 driver for CanoScan 9950F.

Hi BrianBarber,

I upgraded my 3rd and last PC to W10. This one has peripherals, a Canon printer : Pixma IP4300 and a scanner : Canoscan 9950F.

Both are running well with W10.

Concerning the printer. I tried to install the downloaded driver with no success. W10 didn't even detect it. Then I uninstalled the driver and used the old setup DVD (the one given with the printer), with not much hope.

I was wrong ! As soon as the driver was installed, my printer jumped to life. I printed a pdf file for test : OK !

Concerning the scanner. Upgrading to W10 transfered the toolbox from W7 (V4.9) to W10 and it runs well too. I successfully made a test scan. I didn't reinstall the driver.

In fact I did nothing, Windows did it. I didn't took note of the driver version Windows installed, but if you want, I'll do it.

In brief : our (very good) scanner is compatible.

tdug, Feb 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this might be related to the enforcement of driver signing - for your security. Or just simply that it's obsolete.

Note too that Win 10 will update your drivers for you... to whatever build Uncle MS deems appropriate- and will replace a later or older driver with whatever it thinks is current.

Thus if you reinstall a particular driver, but it doesn't match what Windows thinks it should be it will be replaced.
    Unless you take special steps to block an update.
    Windows Updates - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Driver Signing Policy - Windows 10 hardware dev

Note the difference between x86 and x64, and with and without secure boot enabled.

Further:
    If you're now running x64 Win 10 (your specs are incomplete) and your manufacturer didn't provide a 64 bit driver, the only chance you have is to use a virtual machine with a 32 bit OS (I did that with my old Visioneer scanner which worked in 32 bit Win 10, but not in 64 bit Win 10).

CanoScan 8800F - Canon Europe
    - says no Win 10 compatible drivers are or will be available.

So you'd need to run e.g. VirtualBox, with, say, Win 8 installed and USB extensions, running under your existing Win 10.

Changing the OS always runs the risk of leaving some hardware as incompatible.
    It is prudent to check this. At one point there was a site to check such things, but I've not seen it for some months.

dalchina, Feb 7, 2016
  5. Fedup10 Win User
    Yes - thanks for all that so soon, dalchina.

I suspect I'd got resigned to all that already, so it was letting off steam - this has been such a screamingly frustrating change.
    Throwing away perfectly good kit on a whim is not my style.
    I still wonder what exactly they think they needed to break after months of perfectly fine working.
    And I'm still fuming about the "your printer is old - thought you would like to reload the drivers so we could make a point" fiasco.
    Still, Canon are happy - I did check their site. Fix - buy new kit.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

['Uncle MS' eh? - that's far too benign an image]

Fedup10, Feb 7, 2016
  6. Fedup10 Win User
    For anybody checking this after the indifferent approach of Canon to W10 and their scanners, it may be bypassable.

By installing the driver with "run in compatability mode" for W7, I have managed to get the scanner going.
    It remains to be seen how long this will last.

Fedup10, Feb 8, 2016
  7. m0nk3n Win User
    right click "my computer" click manage. open device management -> right click the device you are having trouble with and click update software.

this works wonders in windows 10 *Smile

m0nk3n, Feb 8, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

It's often worth trying compatibility mode- but not, of course, if your driver is 32 bits and your OS 64.
    I have a Visioneer scanner bought 2nd hand on Ebay many years ago- last driver was W2000 or XP. I still had it working on 32 bits Win 10- all posts I saw gave up at Win 8.

But now I need virtualisation for 2 32 bit only devices.

dalchina, Feb 8, 2016
  9. Fedup10 Win User
    It's no longer solved. *Sad
    It seems MS noticed I'd beaten the problem, so their last update (~2 Mar 16) made sure it doesn't work.
    Ludicrous.

Fedup10, Mar 4, 2016
  10. m0nk3n Win User
    if it is a canonscan 8800F it says on canons homepage it's not supported on windows 10. ask canon tech support?

m0nk3n, Mar 4, 2016
  11. Fedup10 Win User
    1. Switch on scanner.
    2. Get message that Windows 10 cannot see the scanner.
    3. Photograph the document with digital camera.
    4. Extract document from camera with 3rd party software.
    5. Print document.
    6. Switch off scanner.
    7. Use scanner as paperweight to keep the document flat.

Fedup10, Mar 5, 2016
  12. See if they have windows 8.1 drivers as they work ok with Windows 10
    Found this link for your Scanner
    CanoScan 8800F Drivers Download for Windows 10, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP

hTconeM9user, Mar 5, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

To : Fedup10,
    As m0nk3n suggested..................
    Have you tried asking Canon tech support ?

davidhk, Mar 5, 2016
  14. Fedup10 Win User
    HTCONE - thanks, but it's the same driver as the not-work W7.

DHK
    Canon? - First thing I tried

but thanks all.

Fedup10, Mar 5, 2016
  15. Then sorry out of ideas

hTconeM9user, Mar 5, 2016
Thema:

1. W10 threw away printer and scanner - Similar Threads - W10 threw away

2. Scanner to Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scanner to Printer: Hello, I have scanned an instruction sheep which is 6" X 4", and I would like to print it as an A4 size, making the instruction lettering larger, I have poor eyesight and cannot read the instructions properly, Is there a way to do this please, I woud appreciate any help yo...
  3. Printer/Scanner

Printer/Scanner: Why doesn't my computer running Windows 10 recognise my Canon MG5350 Printer/Scanner. Any help appreciated. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printerscanner/30d13de0-b95e-406b-a500-07c253d655e4
  4. printer/scanner

printer/scanner: I cant scan from my printer/scanner into my computer although the printer is connected correctly. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printerscanner/fcb77770-4348-46c3-8aee-98f60600fbd8
  5. Printer Scanner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printer Scanner: Why does my Canon MP550 printer / scanner not appear under my printers in devices. It is connected through a USB port https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-scanner/3cae5b9f-a3e1-4102-a865-0708844911d9
  6. Printer and Scanner

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Printer and Scanner: I have all in one printer and scanner Brother HL-L2390DW LAN Monochrome and I scanned some documents but does not show on my HP Computer Lap top. It was working but now I cant find scanned papers. ????? HeLp!...
  7. printer/scanner

printer/scanner: I have a Brother MFC multifunctional printer when I go into it now I cant select the scanning option well it is not showing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/printerscanner/17414f47-8f6c-4f26-baa8-df3bc61b1830
  8. printer and scanner

printer and scanner: my scanner not show on destop so I can not scan any documents. Kindly help me. thanks Hariom https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/printer-and-scanner/40e6688e-ebb6-40e7-96e0-b371dbcb9733
  9. Printer/scanner

Printer/scanner: I have an epson XP-610 printer and scanner. I have the printer connected to my new laptop, but when I try to scan it says the scanner is not connected. I am using Windows 10 can you help?...
  10. scanner and printer

scanner and printer: build 10049; i'm able to print but when i scan i get this error message ; i change location but i get the same error; can some one help, sure appreciated [img] 5355