Windows 10: W10 update killed my Brother printer

Discus and support W10 update killed my Brother printer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; June 13, 2020 W10 version 10.0.18362 A recent W10 update (the actual update number isn't available) knocked out my trusty Brother HL 4070cdw printer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by HamMam, Jun 13, 2020.

1. HamMam Win User

W10 update killed my Brother printer

June 13, 2020

W10 version 10.0.18362

A recent W10 update (the actual update number isn't available) knocked out my trusty Brother HL 4070cdw printer.

All W10 debug attempts, Brother printer settings, wifi and router settings to determine the trouble reported OK e.g. installed, working, ready etc. But my printer wouldn't 'budge'. After hours and hours of frustration and getting nowhere, I resorted to removing the latest W10 update (I can't see the actual update number because I removed the update!). As of June 13, 2020, it was the latest update.

Wala. my printer is back.

I hope this might save others of hours and hours of fruitless debug time.

Microsoft .... shame shame on you !!!!!

:)

HamMam, Jun 13, 2020

2. W10 - Printers - Brother HL-5140

This printer has been sporadically working since the W10 upgrade. Worked fine on W8.1. I tried to re-install the driver by first uninstalling the printer using device manager and then letting W10 find new hardware. Windows looks like it is installing
    drivers and the printer shows up on the Devices and Printers page. BUT: the stats shown at the bottom of the page is Driver is Unavailable.

Brother's website states that W10 has its own drivers for this printer and Brother has no downloadable drivers for W10, or for that matter 8.1, 8, 7.

Is it the case that maybe it was working sporadically as a fluke and now something has changed on my system that killed it? Is it the case that there are no useable drivers for this printer on W10?

As I said, there are NO drivers to download on the Brother site.

Ideas, other than toss the old printer out?

LionelBooth, Jun 13, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Can't Access networked Brother Laser printer- To print or use Web I/f

Not all Printer drivers are included in the installation media. Even mine (Brother HL-4040CN), you would need to manually add it to the list:

1. Control Panel->Devices and Printers->Add a Printer
    2. Follow the steps to set up a network printer. At one point, Windows will search for available printer, click on "The printer that I want isn't listed"
    3. Click on "Windows Updates". Windows will start downloading a complete list of Printers.
    4. Select your printer name & model then install.

EDIT: Just tried to install as a USB printer for MFC-7820N since I don't have this printer to set up as a network printer. The result as shown in the list after clicking on "Windows Update":

W10 update killed my Brother printer [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jun 13, 2020
  4. jacobacci Win User

Brother MFC J6720DW listed with strange icon in Devices and Printers

I have reinstalled the drivers for my Brother MFC J6720DW and now the printer icon is listed in the unspecified category instead of the printer category. The printer is the "Device" icon to the right.

Right clicking on the icon shows the usual items for a printer (printing properties etc.), In addition it shows a "Browse Files" entry that lists the card reader of the printer.

To the left of the Brother printer icon there is another similar one that seems to be my USB card reader

jacobacci, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

1. W10 update killed my Brother printer - Similar Threads - W10 update killed

2. Brother printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Brother printer: My Brother MFC235C printer does not work with Windows 11. Apparently, according to Brother, there is an update to fix this. Where can I get access to it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brother-printer/9671df8d-6654-451a-9a40-c937072572de
  3. Brother printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brother printer: My Brother MFC235C printer does not work with Windows 11. Apparently, according to Brother, there is an update to fix this. Where can I get access to it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brother-printer/9671df8d-6654-451a-9a40-c937072572de
  4. Brother printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brother printer: I can load my Brother printer software but it will not actually install, why?. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brother-printer/29dde689-b09c-4cbe-bfb4-acf6c49ac5d1
  5. Brother printer

Brother printer: when i send a print it comes out as A5 but all the settings appear to be A4. when i send it from another device the print is correct in A4. There must be a setting somewhere that needs to be changed, but i can't find it....
  6. Brother Printer

Brother Printer: I cannot get my printer to print anything from my laptop. The internet is unstable, so I have it cabled connected. It copies and work wireless to pint PDFs only. I've removed it and added the device again; still no luck. ugh...
  7. windows update disables my Brother Printer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows update disables my Brother Printer: windows update KB4560960 comes back after I uninstall. This update disables my MFC-290C Brother Printer. Need to stop this update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-disables-my-brother-printer/ce6bc2a0-d64b-442d-8ab9-734aa593be38
  8. BROTHER PRINTER NOT WORKING WITH LATEST UPDATE KILLED IT...

BROTHER PRINTER NOT WORKING WITH LATEST UPDATE KILLED IT...: I have a Brother DCP-195C printer. The printer is a little old but it is supposed to have a windows 10 driver. It was working fine until you released the latest feature update 2004.. Now the printer says error with driver. Installing from brother the driver..it shows as...
  9. W10 update kills the taskbar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 update kills the taskbar: First, I'm new to this and thought I posted this already, but there doesn't seem to be any way to find one's own post. After updating the latest W10 my PC eventually kills the bottom taskbar. Placing the cursor there gets a perpetual blue circle. Open applications like mail...
  10. Brother printers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Brother printers: Hi, I am a new Surface Go user - loving it so far. Just had a small hiccup installing a printer driver for my wireless printer. I've checked the Brother website, which shows my printer, HL-2270DW, is compatible with Windows 10 s, but the driver download is not available as...