Windows 10: W10 update on 16GB SSD laptop using 32gb USB drive - but it keeps failing

Discus and support W10 update on 16GB SSD laptop using 32gb USB drive - but it keeps failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; W10 update on 16GB SSD laptop using 32gb USB drive - but it keeps failing, Have tried loads of times over the last year and while the USB stick shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by indana13, Apr 26, 2021.

1. indana13 Win User

W10 update on 16GB SSD laptop using 32gb USB drive - but it keeps failing

W10 update on 16GB SSD laptop using 32gb USB drive - but it keeps failing, Have tried loads of times over the last year and while the USB stick shows $Windows .-LS and WUDownloadCache the thing fails to update. /Do I need the USB to do something?

:)

indana13, Apr 26, 2021

2. 1909 update on laptop with 32gb ssd

Hi Microsoft Community!

How can I update my laptop (32gb ssd) to 1909 version?

I use a USB stick and the best free space I can get from the C: is 3.24 GB but the update keeps asking me to find 2 Gb more which is impossible!

Any help?

markos.lio, Apr 26, 2021
  3. Jay 45 Win User
    UNABLE TO DO WIN 10 ANNIVERSARY UPDATE ON 32GB SSD LAPTOP

I have a Dell laptop Win 10, Home Edition, (July 2015 Ver.) w/32GB SSD... I've tried on several occasions to update it, most recently to the Anniversary Edition without success, insufficient disk space is the reason given for the failed install... I've
    gone thru, done a disk cleanup and removed programs, etc. currently have 5 - 5.4GB's free disk space available, still update fails...

I was more or less resolved to staying with the original version until I read where Microsoft is going to stop supporting this version in June 2017... I've been revisiting this issue and according to an article on the web, Microsoft now has an option to
    download the update to an external USB drive, is this correct..?? Any suggestions on this issue would be most appreciated...!!!

Jay 45, Apr 26, 2021
  4. GuyRutter Win User

Devices with a 32GB SSD as a main drive are not updateable

I've yet to find a solution to the issue of using windows on devices with a 32GB SSD as a main drive.

Windows insist that it must be updated with a warning message.

Windows update fails.

Windows Media creation tool insists on having free space on drive C:

Pc is now an expensive doorstop. Even through it has plenty of storage plugged into the SD/USB ports.

Not a very good situation.

On top of that I have another machine stuck at the same place. Update fails, MS advice to go off disabling services and deleting folders and then not running Windows update as it will fail.

Not very good either.

On top of that Media Creation tool fails an another machine (one with a larger C: drive) with an error code.

I give up.

Any ideas ?

GuyRutter, Apr 26, 2021
Thema:

1. W10 update on 16GB SSD laptop using 32gb USB drive - but it keeps failing - Similar Threads - W10 update 16GB

2. Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?: I just purchased a new 1TB external SSD and made a Windows 11 recovery drive of it. The recovery drive uses approximately 32GB of the 1TB of space. However, it will not allow me to transfer any files to it, though there should be about 960GB available. Can a recovery drive...
  3. Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?: I just purchased a new 1TB external SSD and made a Windows 11 recovery drive of it. The recovery drive uses approximately 32GB of the 1TB of space. However, it will not allow me to transfer any files to it, though there should be about 960GB available. Can a recovery drive...
  4. 32GB Installed 16GB Usable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    32GB Installed 16GB Usable: One month ago I upgraded from 16GB ram to 32GB ram. But since then it has said 32GB Installed memory 16GB usable and the other 16GB is in the hardware reserved.The motherboard does support 32GB ram and so does the processor. But I have tried these steps and still doesn't...
  5. 32GB Installed 16GB Usable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    32GB Installed 16GB Usable: One month ago I upgraded from 16GB ram to 32GB ram. But since then it has said 32GB Installed memory 16GB usable and the other 16GB is in the hardware reserved.The motherboard does support 32GB ram and so does the processor. But I have tried these steps and still doesn't...
  6. 1909 update on laptop with 32gb ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1909 update on laptop with 32gb ssd: Hi Microsoft Community! How can I update my laptop 32gb ssd to 1909 version? I use a USB stick and the best free space I can get from the C: is 3.24 GB but the update keeps asking me to find 2 Gb more which is impossible! Any help?...
  7. Hardware Reserved Ram 32Gb installed 16Gb In Use

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware Reserved Ram 32Gb installed 16Gb In Use: I just bought one more stick of ram off amazon (Ballistix Gaming Memory 16Gb DDR4 3200), I installed the ram to my recommended slot (a1). I opened up task manager it said, Memory 32 GB 15.9 GB usage. I checked bios it said 16 GB capacity but it showed it sees my two sticks of...
  8. 32GB laptop - install updates on external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    32GB laptop - install updates on external drive: Hi there guys, I bought a cheap 32GB Acer laptop recently and it's been quickly filled with Windows updates to the point where the largest program i have installed is the Chrome browser at 387MB. I need to free up 8GB for the latest round of Windows updates but that's just...
  9. Using an SSD as a USB Data Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using an SSD as a USB Data Drive: I have an "old" SSD (250 GB Samsung 840 EVO) available to use as a USB 3 data drive for some not-too volatile data - a Lightroom data catalog that benefits from being fast to read and write. I formatted it and put a 220 GB NTFS partition on it - leaving about 16 GB...
  10. Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery?: I have upgraded a Win 7 and a Win 8 computers to Win 10. On the Win 7 I used an 8 GB USB Drive for Recovery and it did not use all of the space. On the Win 8 computer I'm getting a message that I need a 32 GB drive. I understand that it may also be backing up my Win 8...