Windows 10: W10 Upgrade: Windows keeps saying the editions are different when they arn't?

Discus and support W10 Upgrade: Windows keeps saying the editions are different when they arn't? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to upgrade my W7 Home x64 to W10 using the Media Creation Tool I just downloaded from MS, but I keep having the same issue when it gets to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Modify, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Modify Win User

W10 Upgrade: Windows keeps saying the editions are different when they arn't?

I'm trying to upgrade my W7 Home x64 to W10 using the Media Creation Tool I just downloaded from MS, but I keep having the same issue when it gets to the part: "What would you like to keep?"

I have 3 options, but the 1st option, "Keep Everything!" is greyed out". I can only select one of the other two options. The message at the bottom of the screen explains why I can't select the 1st option:

"Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because you're installing an edition of windows that's different than the one you're currently using."

W10 Upgrade: Windows keeps saying the editions are different when they arn't? 03835639-3e35-4d5b-a6aa-be954687774e?upload=true.png

So obviously you would think I have or chose the wrong edition, so it's my fault, but you'd be mistaken...remember, I'm using the Windows Media Tool which chooses the edition automatically well, it's suppose to and has before many of times, yet during the upgrade process, I get that dreaded message above when it asks me what I would like to keep.

What could be causing this?

I have confirmed the region and language, I have all current W7 updates.

:)

Modify, Jan 22, 2020

2. Windows Vista editions to be easily upgradable

Every "edition" of Windows Vista will have all the features and functionality of the most expensive edition, but they'll just be locked away. Users will be able to get features of a more expensive edition by buying a key from Microsoft - you won't have to have buy a new CD/DVD package.

It isn't clear if all the bits of the complete Windows Vista will be installed on the harddrive or if you'll need the CD/DVD to install upgrades. If the former is true, buying from PC builders like Dell, who generally package basic editions of Windows, will be more attractive as the opportunity to get a more complete Windows will only be a click and credit card away. But having a few gigabtyes of data you're not using on you harddrive isn't too attractive.

Microsoft has not made an official statement, but sources close to the company say this type of distribution system is the plan. Things might change.

A source familiar with this upgrade plan says with the five editions of Windows XP, Microsoft manages five "master images." The company will only have to manage one master image of Vista with the new plan.

Microsoft has announced seven editions of Windows Vista. In order of price and functionality:
    • Vista Starter Edition
    • Vista Home Basic Edition
    • Vista Home Premium Edition
    • Vista Professional Edition
    • Vista Small Business Edition
    • Vista Enterprise Edition
    • Vista Ultimate Edition
    Source: CRN.com

grazzhoppa, Jan 22, 2020
  3. felipaopl Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

Wait, but have you done the whole step-by-step guide described in the OP? DDL/DTS isn't supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 either, unless if you do the steps listed there.

felipaopl, Jan 22, 2020
  4. DrPepper Win User

Best way to keep vista clean and healthy

Yeah just caught it there.

I'm going to attempt to have a step by step guide on how to use these programs efficiently.

DrPepper, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

1. W10 Upgrade: Windows keeps saying the editions are different when they arn't? - Similar Threads - W10 Upgrade keeps

2. Minecraft Windows 10 edition keeps saying free trial

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minecraft Windows 10 edition keeps saying free trial: I have a problem recently with the new launcher, because of the new bundle coming in summer 2022 I got windows 10 edition of Minecraft for free, because I already purchased java edition before, when I loaded up the game instead of being able to log into my xbox account I...
  3. Minecraft Windows 10 edition keeps saying free trial

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Windows 10 edition keeps saying free trial: I have a problem recently with the new launcher, because of the new bundle coming in summer 2022 I got windows 10 edition of Minecraft for free, because I already purchased java edition before, when I loaded up the game instead of being able to log into my xbox account I...
  4. windows 10 edition store differences and upgrading win 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 edition store differences and upgrading win 7: When I searched on Youtube about upgrading to Windows 10 ,i saw that pro edition users will get Microsoft store for business .Will i able to buy software for work facilities on Home edition from app store ? what features will be absent for me,as I work in the accounting...
  5. Keeping files/programs intact when upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keeping files/programs intact when upgrading from W7 to W10: Hi. I have a couple questions regarding upgrading from windows 7 to 10. I was considering upgrading for a while now, but i have one problem. I want to keep my games/programs/files intact when upgrading to windows 10. Now i know that W10 gives you the option to do that anyway,...
  6. Minecraft w10 edition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft w10 edition: Hi, im not sure where i have to ask for this, so im posting it here. If i bought minecraft java edition from mojang site, should i receive free copy of windows 10 edition (bedrock)?...
  7. Does Edition Make A Difference When Activating?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does Edition Make A Difference When Activating?: I received a desktop computer from a friend, and I see that the edition is Windows 10 Enterprise. I noticed at the bottom right corner of the desktop that it says activate windows. I didn't have a key so I purchased a key, and the edition is Windows 10 Home. I tried to...
  8. Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible?: Hello, I was sure I would be able to use W7 Pro OEM key I have spare to upgrade my W10 Home to Pro (preinstalled OEM OA), but when I try to change product key in Settings> Updates> Activation, the W7 key is refused with 0x004f210 error. Did I misunderstood the process or is...
  9. Installing a Different Edition of Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing a Different Edition of Windows: Hello guys. My very first thread feels like a very stupid one though. Can I upgrade install Windows 10 Home Version 1511 to a Windows 10 Pro Version 1507? I just don't want to clean install my Windows since I have some programs that I need to re-install again (if you have any...
  10. W10 Build difference ???

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Build difference ???: Hey gang, i have 2 computers that i installed W10 on about a week apart one has Windows 10 Home (x64) 1115 (build 10586) on it, the other has Windows 10 Home (x64) (build 10240) !!! My question : what is the difference between build 10586 and build 10240 ???? Thanks...