Windows 10: W10 Very High Disk I/O

Discus and support W10 Very High Disk I/O in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My PC runs with System close to 100% Disk I/O for an hour or two, after wake-up. (Then it drops to 40% or so.) The PC is barely usable, during that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Andrew4Main, Oct 25, 2019.

1. W10 Very High Disk I/O

My PC runs with System close to 100% Disk I/O for an hour or two, after wake-up. (Then it drops to 40% or so.)

The PC is barely usable, during that time.

I find it very awkward that the operating system monopolises my PC.

How can I change that?

:)

Andrew4Main, Oct 25, 2019
  2. Jan Del Win User

High disk I/O leading computer freeze

Hi, Prabal.

There are many reason why the I/O of the disk is high causing the computer some performance issues. For us to provide a suited solution to your concern, please answer the following questions:

• Have you made any changes to your device prior to the issue?
    • Can you access Safe Mode and check if you're experiencing the issue?
    • Can you provide us a screenshot of the Processes and
      Performance
      of Task Manager?

Looking forward to your reply.

Jan Del, Oct 25, 2019
  3. Windows 10 100% disk usage problem

Hi Jae,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.
    Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 25, 2019
  4. W10 Very High Disk I/O

Windows 10 100% Disk Usage on startup.

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.

Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 25, 2019
Thema:

W10 Very High Disk I/O

1. W10 Very High Disk I/O - Similar Threads - W10 Very High

2. Disk I/O error on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk I/O error on startup: Recently I had an issue where my pc was slow to start up. I managed to determine that it was due to my external hard drive, as when trying to access it I got the device I/O error. I have noticed that windows starts fine if the drive isn't plugged in at startup. But here's the...
  3. Disk I/O error on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk I/O error on startup: Recently I had an issue where my pc was slow to start up. I managed to determine that it was due to my external hard drive, as when trying to access it I got the device I/O error. I have noticed that windows starts fine if the drive isn't plugged in at startup. But here's the...
  4. Disk I/O FUBARed by update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk I/O FUBARed by update: Everything was more or less okay with my Win10 laptop for 1.5 years. Then suddenly after the .5GB cumulative update from April for my already installed 2004, these problems arose: -disk usage is almost always 100%. Transfer rate is usually low, as <50KB/s. 'System' (PID4) is...
  5. Very high disk usage on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very high disk usage on startup: Hi... I'm using windows 10 home and I'm having a problem of very high disk usage... Idling at 100% until I use other applications and games.I also noticed that 'System' and 'Sysmain' causes the usage and sometimes 'Windows cryptographic service' and some other windows...
  6. W10 High Disk Usage Frustration

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 High Disk Usage Frustration: I've had problems with high disk usage (as shown in task manager) for a long time. Tried all the usual fixes like disabling Superfetch and updating drivers, but nothing has helped. (Using a HP Pavilion dv6) I've noticed that most of the time System will show that it's using...
  7. O&o defrag not disk activity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    O&o defrag not disk activity: Had anybody run into issues with using zoning/complete, where it stop defraging. Like it stalls and no disk activity for hours. Or goes to a craw. Newest version. Ran chkdsk /f Sfc scannow Ran dism repair All came back clean I just wondering it does it because it's a...
  8. Dell G3 15 Disk usage very high

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dell G3 15 Disk usage very high: i just got the dell g3 15 laptop and yet it is running very laggy. disk usage is running very high when i got the computer. i tried ways to make it down but its not working. i have returned the computer once and got another one and still have the same problem. at the...
  9. Very high RAM usage all the time w10

Very high RAM usage all the time w10: Hey, so I have read alot of articles about this problem but none of them helped me out. Whenever I try to play a game it gives incredible frame drops all the time, making it unplayable. This is what I did so far (installed ram is 16GB): I turned off Superfetch,...
  10. Very high disk usage

Very high disk usage: *Confused What's happening guys, I've decided to finally let the experts assist me since I've been really yanking my nerves and wasting time on maybe bad thought solutions. Okay so the issue is I'm getting a constant high disk usage without even having anything running...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. playing minecraft max disk usage

2. w10 high disk usage freezing computer