Windows 10: W10 VM set network to public by mistake -- now HOST has no Internet !!

Discus and support W10 VM set network to public by mistake -- now HOST has no Internet !! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Not sure if this is a fault with Windows or VMWare I accidently on network discovery hit the Public network instead of private on a W10 VM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jan 7, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W10 VM set network to public by mistake -- now HOST has no Internet !!

Hi there

Not sure if this is a fault with Windows or VMWare

I accidently on network discovery hit the Public network instead of private on a W10 VM on VMWare workstation -- Still have Internet on the VM but HOST has lost Internet and LAN connectivity -- Limited connectivity only gets flagged.

C'mon Windows Networking -- we can all easily make simple mistakes with the press of a button or Mouse click -- if selecting PUBLIC instead of PRIVATE network causes this problem then surely there should be a prompt "Are you sure you want to choose PUBLIC" .

Also VMWARE -- Surely setting something like this on a VM shouldn't effect the Host -- just think what a hose up a deliberate malicious intent causing user could do !!!!.

If reasonably experienced users can make this type of error easily then I pity those who have limited experience with computing or networking.

I know there's a balance between "Too much" nannying and not enough but I'd suggest losing Internet on a HOST, having to re-boot it and having to reset the network on the VM and reboot that too is worth an extra prompt to avoid this issue.

If Private is selected on Network discovery then Ms can leave it leave as is. !!!

Also re-booting the HOST is a bit of a pain as I'm running quite a few services on it as a server -- all for a really stupid mistake. !!!!!!!

Resetting Network and re-booting VM didn't fix problem as then the VM LOST connections!!!!

Windows Networking Grrrrrrhhhh !!! Why can't Ms get it right PLEEEEEASE !!!!!.

Fix : Reboot Server and restore VM from a Macrium image --what a pain for one tiny mistaken mouse click !!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 7, 2020

2. Can you allow the host to use the VM network connection?

If you use a VM...

this is possible although not immediately obviously useful. My situation was one where the vm os was able to change settings on a wireless network adapter which allowed me to pick up the signal at a useable strength. The host could not do this. So I was in the weird situation where the vm os - backtrack - had internet but the host - osx 10.6 - did not. Annoying.

Easily corrected as follows:
    1. connect the vm to the network, in my case this was wireless so wlan0
    2. set up the vm so that is has a local network with the host, make sure the host can ping the vm. In my case this meant enabling eth0 in the vm
    3. set up ip forward and iptables masquerade rules on the vm.
    4. change the default route of the host to be the vm local ip
    5. enjoy the vm network via the host

now I imagine some readers will want more detail on ip forward and masquerade with iptables but there are a lot of tutorials out there for this stuff. It depends on the vm os but if you are using linux then

ip forward with:
    $ echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

iptables rules something like this
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s $PRIVATE -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

{clearly $PRIVATE is your private subnet, set the rules up to run at ifup}

*Smile W10 VM set network to public by mistake -- now HOST has no Internet !! :)

MatteusBlanc, Jan 7, 2020
  3. davidb Win User
    Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host

the physical host needs to be on internet yes. vms don't. thanks

davidb, Jan 7, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host

Hi there

Some sort of Switch / subnet probably required here with firewall settings also perhaps to block communications from the subnet.

I think this is more of a Networking issue than a VM one itself. The other question - do you still want the HOST to have access to the Internet.

I've only done this where I've had a SINGLE VM which needed Internet access for a "Dodgy site" --was testing a Virus and so I attached the NIC physically to the VM and disabled networking on the HOST while I was testing.

However if you need Internet and LAN access on the HOST and you have more than one VM running concurrently I should ask the Network gurus as this is outside my area of expertise. I suspect also you might need two Physical NIC's for this - one for the Host and one for the subnet your VM's are on - but I can't give any more help than that.

Try asking @Kari -- I'm sure he's done things like that but he uses HYPER-V which is also a good system if you have W10 pro or Enterprise.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

1. W10 VM set network to public by mistake -- now HOST has no Internet !! - Similar Threads - W10 set network

2. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  3. public or private network settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    public or private network settings: windows 10, network created as private to enable sharing of network devices, but the public network takes over when rebooting, how to make the private settings stay primary? aslo the subnet pickups up the wifi factory address as 192.168.7.1 and locks to 255.255.255.0 no...
  4. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...
  5. W10, Setting, Network Profile: Privacy is Public? and vice versa?

W10, Setting, Network Profile: Privacy is Public? and vice versa?: Is it me or it's a reverse logic? Please check a screen capture and advice, mind you this is the case for a Desktop PC: [img] 124143
  6. W10, Setting, Network Profile: Privacy is Public? and vice versa?

in Windows 10 Support
    W10, Setting, Network Profile: Privacy is Public? and vice versa?: Is it me or it's a reverse logic? Please check a screen capture and advice, mind you this is the case for a Desktop PC: [img] 124143
  7. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  8. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...
  9. Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host

Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host: What network adapter settings mean vms can communicate with each other but not with host? Thanks Vmware Workstation 10 69475
  10. 1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!!

1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!!: Hi there after no problem with all the various updates on Windows 1607 I've really got a strange one now Laptop (HP envy) has lost Wifi and Internet connectivity on the Windows HOST - but a Linux VM I'm running on the same laptop has absolutely NO problem connecting to...