Windows 10: W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD?

Discus and support W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I purchased a second internal hard drive (not SSD) for my computer a long time ago (maybe 2 years). I wanted to practice some basic skills... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Princess Wonder Woman, May 17, 2019.

1. W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD?

Hello,

I purchased a second internal hard drive (not SSD) for my computer a long time ago (maybe 2 years). I wanted to practice some basic skills that are not often used but wanted to refresh myself on the process. The basic skill I did was take that secondary 1TB HD and partition it into 2 equal partitions. One would be my main data drive (my C: drive I only use for the OS and programs - no data - that drive was original to my laptop and is 500GB) for my documents, pics and other incidental files and data including saved installers for third party software. This partition is connected to my 2TB Google Drive online for cloud back up and in trying to sync I have run out of room. The second partition on this 1TB drive is primarily for my music/iTunes library/files and is close to 400GB. I am working on uploading those files to my 2TB Google Drive in its entirety so that when the upload is finished I can merge the partitions and put the 1TB drive (currently divided into 2 equal partitions) back to being one whole 1TB drive again.

The data drive that has my main files and documents and pictures is important and I am unable to determine what is safely backed up on the Google Cloud and what is only on the data partition due to that partition being full (in red). I cannot risk losing any of the data on that drive that is hooked up to the Google Cloud for syncing.

My question is once the upload of my music files has completed if I wanted to go ahead with the merging of the two partitions what happens with the data on either or both of the partitions? I am currently in unfamiliar waters here and need information. As a side note I do have an old (really old) but still functioning 3 TB USB Seagate drive. I have 1.43TB free on that drive. This drive also is NOT SSD. I am afraid of burning out the drive if I attempt to back up all of the data from the partition attached to the Google Cloud sync as a precaution.

I can really use the advice on this situation please.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

:)

Princess Wonder Woman, May 17, 2019

2. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD? partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, May 17, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Hard drive partitions [2]

In Acronis, at least in version 10, when you right click on a partition, you can select "Merge". This will merge that partition with another partition, and put all its data in a folder on the destination partition.

newtekie1, May 17, 2019
  4. foxslink Win User

W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD?

Cant merge Partitions

Hi folks,
    i was trying to merge a partition to another one but i couldnt, it said i didnt have GPT or that i dont have enough space to extend it, does anyone know why? there is only 1 unallocated partition im trying to merge into another partition that has files, the idea is to keep the files intact. i tried deleting it then using the extend function but nada. pls help

foxslink, May 17, 2019
Thema:

W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD?

1. W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD? - Similar Threads - W10 happens data

2. How to merge 2 Drives that are on the same SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to merge 2 Drives that are on the same SSD?: I recently bought a new SSD M.2 NVMe which has 1 TB of storage. My old SSD had a storage of 250 GB SATA. My main goal was to make this new SSD my main C drive in order for BIOS to boot from the new SSD. Once I installed it, I cloned the old SSD to the new one and was able to...
  3. How to merge 2 Drives that are on the same SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to merge 2 Drives that are on the same SSD?: I recently bought a new SSD M.2 NVMe which has 1 TB of storage. My old SSD had a storage of 250 GB SATA. My main goal was to make this new SSD my main C drive in order for BIOS to boot from the new SSD. Once I installed it, I cloned the old SSD to the new one and was able to...
  4. How to merge partitions of the same SSD drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to merge partitions of the same SSD drive: Hello there,I wanted to merge my C and D drive, which are the same SSD, but the Store I bought it from, they've split it into 2 parts.I need them into 1 drive, as all my things are here and there, and it's confusing. I'm running Windows 11, if that makes a difference in the...
  5. How to merge a partition to boot partition(same ssd)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to merge a partition to boot partition(same ssd): submitted by /u/Ripcord999 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k2siue/how_to_merge_a_partition_to_boot_partitionsame_ssd/
  6. What will happen to all the drivers that and data in other partitions when i downgrade my...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What will happen to all the drivers that and data in other partitions when i downgrade my...: Hi, A quick question what will happen if i downgrade my windows 10 version from 1903 to 1809 by mounting and the only option it shows is "NOTHING" will it remove all my graphic drivers etc. ? will i have to Reinstall them? will it remove data in all the partitions ie :C ,...
  7. Merging non-adjacent partitions on the same disk.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Merging non-adjacent partitions on the same disk.: I bought a new pc, but when they set it up for me, they split the single drive into two partitions. I've been trying to merge them again, but there's a Healthy Recovery partition between the C drive and the D drive partitions. I've downloaded AOMEI Partition assistant, but...
  8. Merging non-adjacent partitions on the same disk.

in Windows 10 Support
    Merging non-adjacent partitions on the same disk.: I bought a new pc, but when they set it up for me, they split the single drive into two partitions. I've been trying to merge them again, but there's a Healthy Recovery partition between the C drive and the D drive partitions. I've downloaded AOMEI Partition assistant, but...
  9. Merging partitions.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Merging partitions.: [img] I'm trying to do something with the mini partition wizard that is raved about on this site. The FACTORY IMAGE D above is useless to my computer now that I have been on Windows 10 Home (latest build) and Windows 10 so graciously dropped a 449MB Recovery Partition...
  10. Installing W10 in a HD partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing W10 in a HD partition: Hello, I have a Windows 8.1 system (64 bit) and I "qualified" for the Windows 10 free upgrade, which I could already do. [img] (My system is in French, sorry about that).) What I'd like to do is to have both systems in the same computer, I know how to shrink my HD in...