Windows 10: W10 won't allow to set default browser

Discus and support W10 won't allow to set default browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I am having a problem setting my default browser. In to reset my defaults in settings. Restore to default. Now Edge is now my default browser. Now I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Langsey, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Langsey Win User

W10 won't allow to set default browser

I am having a problem setting my default browser. In to reset my defaults in settings. Restore to default. Now Edge is now my default browser. Now I can't set my default browser to Cyberfox or any other browser. I press the cyberfox icon and nothing happens. The plus sign stays on next to the browser icon. I have rebooted a couple of times. Nothing has changed. How can I resolve this problem? I updated to W10 from W7 64bit about three months ago. Thanks in advance.*Sad

:)

Langsey, Jun 1, 2016

2. Default app designations

I am trying to select IE as my browser default. I am going in to settings, going to default applications, selecting web browser, selecting IE.....nothing happens. I did a reset to Windows defaults and that got rid of Google Chrome and a few others, but the
    only default application that will allow me to change it is changing Groove Music default to Windows Media Player. All others won't change no matter what I select.

Any ideas?

I've rebooted several times. I just had an update that came through I allowed it to install and reboot, still nothing.

StephanieBasile117, Jun 1, 2016
  3. color printing in W10

printer was updated with Brother support. that did not help. then i asked the Community.

so still the same problem.

my guess is that it is a W10 default setting in the background.

i just can not find where that setting is (mayby W10 does not allow users to this setting, there are more W10 issues like this).

appeltjeeitje, Jun 1, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Have you tried the following 2 methods ?

1. The Win 10 way:
    Left click at Start button > Settings > System > left side, click Default Apps > right side, scroll to Web Browser > click the box > do you see Cyberfox in the list > if yes, click it.

2. The old fashioned way:
    Right click at Start button > click Control Panel > top right, click View by > click either large or small > click Default Programs > wait for loading > click Set your default programs > left side, do you see your Cyberfox ?
    If yes, click it > right side, click set this program as default > click OK when done.

Does any of the above help ?

davidhk, Jun 1, 2016
  5. Langsey Win User
    David, the second option did work. The first I had tried before and didn't work. Thanks.

Langsey, Jun 1, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.
    Happy computing.

davidhk, Jun 1, 2016
  7. Wynona Win User
    Langsey, once an issue is solved for you, it's customary to mark the thread "solved". You can only mark a thread solved if you are the one who started it, so no one else can do it for you.

Wynona, Jun 2, 2016
  8. Langsey Win User

Wynona,
    I did press the solved icon.

Langsey, Jun 2, 2016
  9. Wynona Win User
    Very strange, Langsey, because although my email notification tells me it's solved, I don't see "Solved" at the top of this thread. Maybe it's not supposed to be there? *Sad I thought it should be once the OP marks it solved.

Oh, well, forget I said anything. I'm totally confused now.

Wynona, Jun 2, 2016
  10. Langsey Win User
    Wynona,
    On my window there is a button that says "Mark Unsolved" I can click on it and it is not solved any longer.

Langsey, Jun 2, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    FYI only.....................
    1. When Wynona posted to you, the thread was not marked solved.
    Only a few minutes ago it was marked as solved.
    Perhaps, there was a long delay for whatever reason.

2. As the OP, original poster, you have the sole right, besides the mods, to mark your thread as Solved.
    However, if after marking it as Solved, there will be a green button "Mark Unsolved". That button is again only for you and the mods to use should you change your mind.

davidhk, Jun 2, 2016
  12. K1NYK Win User
    I did try both methods and neither solved the problem of setting Cyberfox as the default browser. That is, neither approach showed cyberfox as a selection option. Would you have another way to fix this? BTW what started this is that Win 10/Office 2010 apps won't allow me to click on imbedded URL's. Thx for any help!

K1NYK, Jul 24, 2016
  13. Wynona Win User

Have you opened Cyberfox and then typed or pasted a link? Sometimes I have to open the app and try to use it before it will show up in the default apps box.

Wynona, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 won't allow to set default browser - Similar Threads - W10 won't allow

2. cant set default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant set default browser: each time i update chrome it switches my browser to yahoo and doesnt let me change it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-default-browser/ffc10c08-25a5-4794-8192-a9736afe2257
  3. cant set default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant set default browser: each time i update chrome it switches my browser to yahoo and doesnt let me change it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-default-browser/ffc10c08-25a5-4794-8192-a9736afe2257
  4. Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps: Hello,I am unable to choose a default browser in my case I am trying to set Microsoft Edge as a default browser in the 'Default Apps' in Windows 10It was earlier set to Google Chrome. I also reset the 'Microsoft Recommended Defaults' but Windows 10 still cannot the attach...
  5. Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps: Hello,I am unable to choose a default browser in my case I am trying to set Microsoft Edge as a default browser in the 'Default Apps' in Windows 10It was earlier set to Google Chrome. I also reset the 'Microsoft Recommended Defaults' but Windows 10 still cannot the attach...
  6. Set default browser to alternative browser

Set default browser to alternative browser: In the "Set Default Apps" settings page, there is no possible way to select a browser that is not either on the Windows store or has large userbase like Chrome. You used to be able to use Control Panel for this, but you changed that to just redirect to the same Settings page...
  7. Default Browser Setting

Default Browser Setting: I want my default browser to be Chrome. I change it in settings from Edge to Chrome, then when I re-boot, it goes right back to Edge. How do I make the change permanent?...
  8. set chrome as default browser

set chrome as default browser: how to set chrome as default browser https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-chrome-as-default-browser/620d5e83-ab61-4586-93dc-eb5244b96387
  9. Firefox won't stay as default browser (W10-1909)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Firefox won't stay as default browser (W10-1909): As stated. I obviously tried pretty much anything that was recommended to try. I also went ahead and manually disabled Edge but it still doesn't stay. Any ideas people? Thx ahead. submitted by /u/mrrobc97 [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows won't set ANY default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Windows won't set ANY default browser: Pressing + will bring up the list but not set/keep the selection. 75048