Windows 10: W10 won't install new updates, now won't let me install any OS at all

Discus and support W10 won't install new updates, now won't let me install any OS at all in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Solved problem, ignore. I'm using Windows 10 Build 10041. First of all, Windows wouldn't update to the newest build. This never got fixed so I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cosmopath, Apr 29, 2015.

1. cosmopath Win User

W10 won't install new updates, now won't let me install any OS at all

Solved problem, ignore.

I'm using Windows 10 Build 10041. First of all, Windows wouldn't update to the newest build. This never got fixed so I tried installing the newest Windows 10 ISO, using Rufus to make it bootable. So I went into Settings and got to Advanced Startup. First I tried putting the USB in, and it didn't detect it. So I tried going into BIOS and changing the boot order. BIOS didn't detect the USB either.
    I tried tons and tons of solutions and none of them worked (including a System Restore which didn't work, doing SFC /scannow, it got 3% into the scan and said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation").
    So, out of anger I chose "Remove everything and re-install Windows" to go back to the OEM copy of 8.1 I was using (at this point I wish I was just using 8.1 again). Well guess what; that gave me an error too!
    So, right now I'm in a position where I'm locked into using a half-broken version of Windows 10 Build 10041, without the ability to switch to a different operating system, even Linux!
    I'm a bit scared, actually...I've run into problems with my laptop but nothing anything like this. I'd really appreciate it if I got help...

:)

cosmopath, Apr 29, 2015

2. uninstall windows 10 updates

Windows 10 has updates and now won't accept my scanner drivers, they worked up to the updates but have now stopped, my scanner are not likely to be releasing new drivers for W10.

I've gone into update history but it won't let me uninstall the last lot of updates that have caused my scannewr to stop working.

I'm quite pissed at this as i wasn't going to update to W10 in case my scanner wouldn't work after, it worked for 18 months then stopped and i no longer have the option to roll back to W7

I don't really want to install W7 from scratch but my scanner is more important than W10 to me

Chris Glen, Apr 29, 2015
  3. paulw67ZV Win User
    Windows 10 won't open progs

After my old computer died during the w10 update I've now got a new one successfully installed w10 but now it won't open any progs only Internet I'm trying to get into settings personalise some stuff as i ran out of time after install opens menu but it
    won't open any options I can't even open control panel to restore to b4 w10 my security says it needs to restart computer to update but I can't open the PROG HOW CAN I RETURN TO B4 W10? I've seen similar questions posted but as I can't open any progs there
    not much use .

paulw67ZV, Apr 29, 2015
  4. dtong22 Win User

Can you elaborate the circumstance why you cannot install Linux? When you boot up your computer with a Linux install disc, cam you see the harddrive?
    I assume you had Win 8 and Win 10 dual boot. So your strategy is to install either Ubuntu or Linux Mint onto where your Win 10 is. Format the now dead Win 10 partition into Ext4 file and a small swap partition say 10 Mb. Then install the Linux after which it will pick up your Win 8 (or other Linux partition) in the boot up selection menu. Good luck.
    Please note that Win 10 has a reputation of bricking hard drive. Let us know the exact issue there

Daniel

dtong22, May 1, 2015
  5. cosmopath Win User
    Oh, sorry, I solved this already a few days ago, and I forgot I made this post! I updated it so no one will think I still need help.

Thanks anyways!

cosmopath, May 2, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    Just out of courtesy it would be nice to post how you fixed your problem. It may help someone else in the future. And welcome to the forums.

Winuser, May 7, 2015
  7. YOLOnline Win User
    Happy to see that your problem is fixed now. But why did you delete your OP?

YOLOnline, May 7, 2015
  8. cosmopath Win User

Restored the OP.

I was able to install the new Windows 10 build by downloading the ISO, extracting it and executing "setup.exe". That seemed to have worked.

cosmopath, May 8, 2015
  9. Winuser Win User
    Thanks for reposting the original post and telling us how you solved your problem. It just might help someone else who is having the same problem.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 won't install new updates, now won't let me install any OS at all - Similar Threads - W10 won't install

2. Downloaded new update on my laptop, now won't let me sign in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloaded new update on my laptop, now won't let me sign in: I recently downloaded a new update on my surface laptop 2It brings up blue screen asking "choose if you want to keep signing in with your face or fingerprint"Regardless of which option I choose the next screen shows "Something went wrong but you can try again" and in yellow...
  3. Downloaded new update on my laptop, now won't let me sign in

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downloaded new update on my laptop, now won't let me sign in: I recently downloaded a new update on my surface laptop 2It brings up blue screen asking "choose if you want to keep signing in with your face or fingerprint"Regardless of which option I choose the next screen shows "Something went wrong but you can try again" and in yellow...
  4. Windows won't let me install an app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows won't let me install an app: I have windows 10. I'm trying to install an app and when I click on the install file I get a big red box that says "Malicious file" and then "this application may cause damage to your device. Sensitive personal data may also be at risk. More info. I select "More Info" and...
  5. Why won't it let me see & install optional updates?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why won't it let me see & install optional updates?: I try, only get grey, faded box, so I'm not able to install optional updates. What's causing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-wont-it-let-me-see-install-optional-updates/5925468d-c0bc-4178-8d01-70ef64c8401e
  6. Windows won't let me install updated drivers... Help? :-(

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't let me install updated drivers... Help? :-(: Hello! Really hoping someone can help... My computer suddenly won't let me install new, updated drivers. I typically use DriverEasy and it let me know yesterday that some devices needed updating (including my graphics card), so I clicked to allow all the updates, but it then...
  7. New Version won't let me update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Version won't let me update: I just updated to the 2019 version. Now it won't let me update a program for this version. How do I fix this? [img] 148979
  8. ORIGINS WON'T LET ME INSTALL NEW CLIENT

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ORIGINS WON'T LET ME INSTALL NEW CLIENT: I'm stuck at the new update of Origins client for EA games. It says I can't install. Anyone here has the same experience? Please tell how to fix. Thanks. submitted by /u/1xyk9 [link] [comments]...
  9. trying to install Fortnite but it won't let me

trying to install Fortnite but it won't let me: trying to install Fortnite on my sons laptop but get the message " The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" I have basic old man people skills on computers, so can someone help? and put it into baby terms so i can understand please. Thanks in...
  10. New build won't let me install Windows

New build won't let me install Windows: Here is my build - Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 960 4GB - System Build - PCPartPicker So this has been a nightmare for the past two days trying to get everything installed correctly and to actually boot up and allow me to install windows from my USB drive. I...