Windows 10: w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop

Discus and support w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I can't paste into another folder, nothing. It will not let me even though I am an administrator. Every once in a great while it will let me move... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by aggravated user, Oct 5, 2015.

1. w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop

I can't paste into another folder, nothing. It will not let me even though I am an administrator. Every once in a great while it will let me move something but I have to grant myself permission. I have seen other users post this exact same issue and have yet to see it resolved. Probably wasting my time, but why not.

:)

aggravated user, Oct 5, 2015

2. Desktop Shortcut/Option Missing in Window 10

The "Save to desktop" in the save as dialog box disappeared sometime today. I can no longer find a desktop option anywhere for anything.

I've looked into quite a number of threads regarding similar situations. The most prevalent has been the same situation in Win7 with a fix of using "Restore Favorites". I haven't found that option in Win10, nor have I been able to find my exact situation
    listed anywhere with a fix available on my system.

Coming from My Computer or This PC...none show a desktop option or shortcut/icon for proceeding to the desktop. The desktop and its icons are still there. It isn't an issue of being in tablet mode. Only the desktop option/icon itself has disappeared leaving
    me unable to access it from a dialog box or save anything to the desktop.

muscledaddybear, Oct 5, 2015
  3. Won't let me open "add device and printer"

Hi All, after updating to W10, I have no network connections, it won't let me open the Add devices and printer tab, network connections folder is empty, it tells me my adapter is working correctly and is updated. I've tried to follow a few solutions to no
    avail and my computer won't let me go back to W7.

Please can someone help!! I've been trying for a week and I'm not getting anywhere! w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop :(

seanmcateer, Oct 5, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop

Hello aggravated user, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You should be able to directly save anything in anyone of the folders in your "C:\Users\(username)" user profile folder. Afterwards, you should be able to move it to where you like.

By default, Windows will not let you save anything from an external source into a system folder.

Brink, Oct 5, 2015
  5. Well, I can't. It tells me I don't have permission.

aggravated user, Oct 5, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop

1. w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop - Similar Threads - w10 won't let

2. New Laptop won't let me do anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Laptop won't let me do anything: So I got a new laptop Dell G16 7620, charged it and updated it, tried logging in and it wouldn't let me. So I skipped for the moment to set up the rest of the computer and it wouldn't let me. After a lot of googling I got onto Windows 10 and was finally able to set up the...
  3. The search won't let me type anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The search won't let me type anything: I restarted my computer after installing iTunes and now it won't let me type in the search box in the start menu. If anyone knows what that means or needs any clarification, let me know. Thank you. submitted by /u/MotesBro [link] [comments]...
  4. Microsoft store won't let me download anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store won't let me download anything: So, I'm trying to download Forza Horizon 5, I choose which drive to install it on, and after that it loads for a minute, and crashes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-wont-let-me-download-anything/b397eb65-548f-4998-8216-b5f408b5cc90
  5. Microsoft store won't let me download anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft store won't let me download anything: So, I'm trying to download Forza Horizon 5, I choose which drive to install it on, and after that it loads for a minute, and crashes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-wont-let-me-download-anything/b397eb65-548f-4998-8216-b5f408b5cc90
  6. Store won't let me download ANYTHING

Store won't let me download ANYTHING: I am so beyond infuriated with Microsoft on this one. I’ve tried every fix I’ve seen online and nothing changes anything. I bought Forza Horizon and Minecraft from the microsoft store yet it refuses to let me download them. I’ve tried the wsreset, resetting from settings,...
  7. The store won't let me download anything.

The store won't let me download anything.: are there any fixes? submitted by /u/TheRealArborkid [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/envl6m/the_store_wont_let_me_download_anything/
  8. TrustedInstaller Won't let me access anything

in Windows 10 Customization
    TrustedInstaller Won't let me access anything: Okay, I'm more than a little frustrated at the moment. I've been trying to fix this for hours now, but I've had no success. This TrustedInstaller program won't let me access anything at all. I can't troubleshoot anything, I can't change file permissions, I cant view my...
  9. The Microsoft store won't let me download anything

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    The Microsoft store won't let me download anything: I've had my computer for a while, its a good computer, it has served me well. One thing, however, that is not serving me well is this: When I try to download things from the Microsoft store, it simply. Just. Won't let me. Instead of downloading whatever it is I try to...
  10. Windows 10 won't let me access anything

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 won't let me access anything: Hi everyone, Had to borrow someone's laptop to post here. Yesterday my (brand new) laptop auto-updated, and I'm not sure if it's entirely related or not, but now I can't do anything with it. I can still move the cursor, see options on right-click, and it does register...