Windows 10: W10 won't start up

Discus and support W10 won't start up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; W10 working fine. This morning part way through creating an email it stopped ... only cursor/mouse movement no buttons or apps would work. After an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sargan, Aug 24, 2016.

1. sargan Win User

W10 won't start up

W10 working fine.
    This morning part way through creating an email it stopped ... only cursor/mouse movement no buttons or apps would work.
    After an Hr did forced shutdown.
    Now pc starts ... POST run ..
    But stay a lot longer on screen than normal .. 3 to 4 tmes) then screen clears follwed by single blue windows icon ... and spinning wheel of dots under it.

Boot up does not complete.
    I left it for an Hr ..did then get line on screen repairing E:\ 1% complete.
    There are no system files on E:\

I don't have a CD to boot off.

:)

sargan, Aug 24, 2016

2. After upgrade form W7 to W10 my laptop only starts after a cold boot

After the lengthy update process (28 hrs), my laptop won't start. It hangs up at the W10 start screen forever. I have to do a cold boot to get it started and I have to do this every day. Any help to resolve this problem is greatly appreciated.

thanghuynh, Aug 24, 2016
  3. BeckyAS Win User
    Windows Hello

Hi Vanessa,

That's the problem....HP doesn't have drivers for Windows 10! I installed W8 drivers because that's what I had on it before and it worked when I did an upgrade to W10. However, when the system started getting glitchy (I couldn't type in search boxes or use
    Office programs), I did a RESET to W10 and now the fingerprint sensor won't work.

At this point I'm waiting for HP to get up to speed with W10!

Thanks,

Becky

BeckyAS, Aug 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

W10 won't start up

Hello, I assume what you're seeing about drive E: is related to chkdsk running?
    IDK what Hr is - CUTMP?
    I don't know what Hr is- could you tell me please?

My guess is you need to check a disk.. but which one?
    If your PC should boost off your SSD without the HDDs in, try removing them.
    On which disk is E:?
    If it boots ok with the HDDs out, then run
    chkdsk E: /F
    on each relevant partition or disk.
    Then install e.g. Crystal Diskinfo (free) and check their SMART parameters.

Please post the results of the above.

Of course there could be some other hardware problem..

You can easily download bootable Win 10 media or an iso file.
    MS's media creation tool, or directly download the appropriate ISO file. Free.

Do you have full backups? Do you use disk imaging? (everyone should.. so much better recovery options.. protects your PC, your data, and your sanity - and may well mean you don't need technical help. Faster recovery than a clean install by hours.. even if your disk fails. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage.

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  5. sargan Win User
    C = SSD and has OS & profiles.
    D&E are partitions on seperate 1TB HDD
    Apps on one D:\ and data on E:\
    No POST errors ... but can't get further as it does not get to login screen.

sargan, Aug 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, as I suggested, remove your HDDs and try a restart.

Could I check what you mean exactly about 'apps on D:'?
    - your universal apps?
    - your desktop programs with the default install location $programfiles changed in the registry?
    - where you manually install programs?

( I do the last of these, the second will cause problems).

So if the first, I'm not sure what will happen if you take the disk out.. that's one of the pitfalls of using separate disks like this.. but try it.

Your specs indicate 2x 1Tb HDDS..

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  7. sargan Win User
    OS & profiles on C:/
    When apps manually installed they go on D:/

My pics, My docs etc are moved by changing storage location to E:/

C:/ is an SSD
    There is a 1TB HDD split into D & C partitions.
    As all OS is on C: and not getting to login ... does that mean fault is likely to be on SSD?

sargan, Aug 25, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

W10 won't start up

Ok, try removing your HDD and reboot.. that way you remove the disk chkdsk? is having a problem with.

And you get to see if your SSD/PC are ok.

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  9. sargan Win User
    OK ..
    HDD has failed partition ... 3rd WD caviar black that has failed on me.

sargan, Aug 25, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Mm, I usually use Hitachi drives.. so did your PC boot up and do you have appropriate backups?

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  11. sargan Win User
    With HDD removed I can boot up. Looks like E:/ partition has failed.
    Strange D:/ is OK. HDD won't come up in another W10 pc ... but will at least scan when connected to a MAC.

sargan, Aug 25, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Good.. all makes sense.. good, that is, if you have backups. Else you can try data recovery on the failed disk. As to why 1 partition not another, it depends exactly what failure/corruption has occurred.

Recently saw a recommendation for a program called 'Diskdrill' (free)- data and partition recovery. There are many such.

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  13. sargan Win User

W10 won't start up

Any other good free ones .. never had much success with RECUVA

sargan, Aug 25, 2016
  14. Looey Win User
    Looey, Aug 25, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Yes, could be. We're now post event, dealing with the recovery - I don't know that anyone yet knows the cause.. just that MS is working on that as one of the several more common issues reported about the anniversary update.

@sargan - see my post #11 - I mentioned Diskdrill - I've not used that myself, but have used other partition recovery software previously. Also worth researching how other people have dealt with drives affected like this.

If you have appropriate backups, you can just reformat of course.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

W10 won't start up

1. W10 won't start up - Similar Threads - W10 won't start

2. Windows won't start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't start up: HelloFew days ago I was getting a message on my desktop computer "USB current....." something and was "shutting down in 15 seconds to protect.......". After an online search it brought me to opening up the machine and cleaning it and then everything worked fine until...
  3. Windows won't start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't start up: HelloFew days ago I was getting a message on my desktop computer "USB current....." something and was "shutting down in 15 seconds to protect.......". After an online search it brought me to opening up the machine and cleaning it and then everything worked fine until...
  4. Window won't start up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window won't start up.: When I turn my desktop on it has a black screen with a bunch of letters and words that I don't understand. Then down towards the bottom it says "initializing USB controllers," then after a few seconds it says "done press F10 to enter set up." When I press F10 nothing happens,...
  5. W10 won't start up

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 won't start up: I'm working on a PC that won't start up any more. I get the blue screen with the menu's, but not the Windows screen. System restore wouldn't work properly, or at least, didn't solve the problems. Tried to do a repair by taking out the HD and check the disk on another PC. It...
  6. W10 won't start, will only beep

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 won't start, will only beep: Version #: I don't know, the pc won't start so I can't check it. cant even get in to the bios/diagnostic area I hope this is the right section to post, I didn't see anywhere else close to this subject. the machine is a compaq something or antoher. It started freezing...
  7. Won't start up or reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Won't start up or reset: My tower begins the startup, but goes right into repair, but saies unable to repair, Have tried the reset system but it saies there isn't enough memory to do so. As I cannot access the desktop have no idea what I can do....
  8. Slotomania Won't Start-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slotomania Won't Start-up: I have Windows 10 on my laptop. I recently downloaded three Playtika games from the Microsoft Store; Slotomania, Caesar's Slots, and Slots-House of Fun. Caesar's Slots and House of Fun work fine; however, I cannot get Slotomania to open. I have uninstalled and reinstalled...
  9. computer won't start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    computer won't start up: turned computer on just got though updating and it did something to computer I have windows10 but now it saying i have windows 7 i get a blank page and said personal info not responding...
  10. Computer won't start up

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't start up: When I went to start up the computer, It will not start up. The power indicator light won't light up. There is power going to the computer.as the light on the back is lite up. In July I upgraded to windows 10 Pro 64 bit from Windows Ultimate 64 bit. It has 12gb ram and a 256...