Windows 10: W10 Worth it?

Discus and support W10 Worth it? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm thinking about downloading the beta version of W10 but I'm not sure if it would be worth the time or effort. How does it run? Is it too buggy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BeK, Feb 28, 2015.

1. BEK
    BeK Win User

W10 Worth it?

I'm thinking about downloading the beta version of W10 but I'm not sure if it would be worth the time or effort.

How does it run? Is it too buggy to be worthwhile?

If I do decide to DL it, would you recommend that I install it over my current OS (W8.1) or dual boot?
    W10 does look rather interesting but I just want to be sure that it is worthy of downloading.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

:)

2. Teddy2016 Win User

Upgrading to W10 - Is it Worth it?!

Hi!

The email is a forum email if you are subscribed to the thread. W10 has IE also under Windows Accessories.

Teddy2016, Feb 28, 2015
  3. MARGIME Win User
    Upgrading to W10 - Is it Worth it?!

Thank You Terrible Teddy for the fast response. I intended to respond moments later but my internet went out. I concede that more people complain than they praise. Regardless, this all keeps looking like too much work for a basic user like myself. I
    even had to look up what a clean install/upgrade meant and they say you could lose most of your Apps and even some personal data so back stuff up that you want to save. Well, that's alot! Yes, I have cloud storage but then i'd have to figure out what all
    i might be missing.

As regards the WMP, I already have it on this W8.1 and I don't want to risk losing all the music that is already stored in my Library or the special Folders. I don't know if this would happen, but your answer made it sound like I'd have to reinstall and
    start from scratch? Yes, there may be a way to reconstruct it from my actual music files, but again, i have ALOT of music and don't want to take that kind of time. Suffice, the more i read about all that's involved, i think i'm just going to stick with what
    i have. I never had W7, but those who do say its more like XP than W8.1 and they don't want to change it. Too back I can't go backwards ey? Thanks again for taking the time to assist this Windows dummy!

MARGIME, Feb 28, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

W10 Worth it?

Bek, welcome to tenforums. I think it is worth it. I would dual boot. There are tutorials for it.

5. Kesto Win User
    1. If you want to keep windows 10 use it as main os if not dual boot it/install in VM. 2. Its not that buggy to be fair. 3. It runs just fine.

Kesto, Feb 28, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Welcome to the forums.. and here's a link for you to get a copy of the curent build of Win10TP. Windows 10 Technical Preview - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Now, is it worth it.. well I think it is.. set it up as a dual boot to get the best testing. Now, if you like the looks of the new start menu.. then Yes.. Is it buggy,, there are minor things that need fixing but nothing major from my use and I use Win10TP as my main OS.

HTH,,,

BunnyJ, Feb 28, 2015
  7. Hi and welcome to TenForums,
    I'd wait for the new version to be released before jumping in

Personally I found running in either a virtual machine using VMware or using win-8's Hyper-v much safer way to test 10tp,
    Dual boot allot of people are doing that but I would not do it on the same hdd as your win 8.1 install,
    Use a separate hdd if you do and also make sure no other drives are connected during usage.

I would not install over 8.1 until the final release and free upgrade is what you want to do *Wink
    Otherwise your relying on beta builds to get 8.1 back,
    Lots of tutorials on all the above suggestions are here in the tutorial section *Smile
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Feb 28, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

W10 Worth it?

I would say, if you really have to ask this question, then the answer is probably "no". If you're that worried about your time and effort, then what would be the point? You are obviously too busy to spend any time tweaking or dealing with potential issues that might occur from using pre-release software.

Those of us who play with these builds do so because we enjoy doing so, and thus "time and effort" doesn't even enter the equation. Furthermore, you shouldn't install over your production system with any pre-release software unless you don't care if you lose everything you have. Not that this is a likely scenario, but there could be bugs that could cause, among other things, hard disk corruption or even total loss of all data.

In other words, you have to expect the worst *could* happen, even if it's not likely to.

If this were finished software, it would be released. It's not. And it's still in development. You should start off by running it in a virtual machine, or on a computer you don't care about. If, and only if, you feel it's usable at that point should you consider installing it on your main system, if you are prepared for the worst (make backups, etc..).

Mystere, Feb 28, 2015
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    If you are a Windows 8.1 user, it will be easy to adapt. As a windows 7 user you wil be a bit discombobulated at first. I would install it in VM. Here is a tutorial I made on how to install and operate it in VM.

10. BEK
    BeK Win User
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! W10 Worth it? :)

Thema:

W10 Worth it?

1. W10 Worth it? - Similar Threads - W10 Worth

2. hola, tengo un problema a la hora de actualiaar w10 a w11, me da un error de "se ha...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hola, tengo un problema a la hora de actualiaar w10 a w11, me da un error de "se ha...: ya probe usar estos comandos y sigue sin funcionar, dism /online /cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanupdism /online /cleanup-image /CheckHealthdism /online /cleanup-image /ScanHealthdism /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealthsfc /scannowtambien probe instalarlo de la forma ISO...
  3. hola, tengo un problema a la hora de actualiaar w10 a w11, me da un error de "se ha...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hola, tengo un problema a la hora de actualiaar w10 a w11, me da un error de "se ha...: ya probe usar estos comandos y sigue sin funcionar, dism /online /cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanupdism /online /cleanup-image /CheckHealthdism /online /cleanup-image /ScanHealthdism /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealthsfc /scannowtambien probe instalarlo de la forma ISO...
  4. hola, tengo un problema a la hora de actualiaar w10 a w11, me da un error de "se ha...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Sing-in window outlook, store, account verification blank in W10, freezes in W11

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sing-in window outlook, store, account verification blank in W10, freezes in W11: Hi, I know this isn't the right category, but none of the ones offered fit. I have work and own office 365 profile. I have no problem to log in windows on my desktop W10 and laptop W11. Everywhere in system, where you have to sing-in to your microsoft account outlook,...
  6. Sing-in window outlook, store, account verification blank in W10, freezes in W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sing-in window outlook, store, account verification blank in W10, freezes in W11: Hi, I know this isn't the right category, but none of the ones offered fit. I have work and own office 365 profile. I have no problem to log in windows on my desktop W10 and laptop W11. Everywhere in system, where you have to sing-in to your microsoft account outlook,...
  7. Sing-in window outlook, store, account verification blank in W10, freezes in W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. i need help with KB5034441 0x80070640 W10 Pro V22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help with KB5034441 0x80070640 W10 Pro V22H2: I NEED HELP WITH KB5034441 0X80070643 ERROR. I KEEP RCEIVING THIS UPDATE DAILY, I HAVE RECEIVED LATER KB'S & GENERAL UPDATES THAT INSTALL. I HAVE TRIED VARIOUS FIXES THAT WERE ON THE WEB, NONE WORKED. MY PC IS RUNNING W10 PRO V22H2. MANY THANKS IN ADVANCEEMAIL *** Email...
  9. i need help with KB5034441 0x80070640 W10 Pro V22H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i need help with KB5034441 0x80070640 W10 Pro V22H2: I NEED HELP WITH KB5034441 0X80070643 ERROR. I KEEP RCEIVING THIS UPDATE DAILY, I HAVE RECEIVED LATER KB'S & GENERAL UPDATES THAT INSTALL. I HAVE TRIED VARIOUS FIXES THAT WERE ON THE WEB, NONE WORKED. MY PC IS RUNNING W10 PRO V22H2. MANY THANKS IN ADVANCEEMAIL *** Email...
  10. FCU - Linking Phone to W10 PC - Worth It?

in Windows 10 Support
    FCU - Linking Phone to W10 PC - Worth It?: I just had the FCU installed and one of the first things that showed up in EDGE which was open when the reboot finished was the option to link an iPhone to the PC. It says I really can't find what this feature does and what advantage it would have, or more importantly, what...