Windows 10: W10p asks for user/pass only when mapping share from other subnet.

Discus and support W10p asks for user/pass only when mapping share from other subnet. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some explicable reason, windows has decided to no longer accept access to it's shared folder from other subnets, and no one appears to know why. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by -idiocracy, Jan 4, 2020.

1. W10p asks for user/pass only when mapping share from other subnet.

For some explicable reason, windows has decided to no longer accept access to it's shared folder from other subnets, and no one appears to know why. I have asked high and low and no one has the foggiest idea what's going on.

1. Short version: If i map "\\x.x.x.x\files" from the same subnet, explorer will map it, no questions asked and everything works. If i do the same from another subnet i am asked to provide user/pass, which i can't because there isn't any. This only happens when mapping from another subnet and never happens when mapping from same subnet.

2. Setup. Windows 10 pro 1909.

1909 or possible earlier version broke network sharing and required clients to edit gpedit and activate "allow insecure guest logon".

Folder is shared, permissions are "everyone" and have been given "full control".

settings/network/network and sharing center/edit advanced sharing settings

Private profile: All machines are using this profile.

Network registration = on

activate automatic config for devices with network access = on

File and printer sharing = on

All networks

Use 128-bit encryption = on

password protected file sharing = off

Firewall, this i am unsure what effects have as it was a suggestion made from another thread i found.

The default settings for these, properties/scope/external IP are all set to "local subnet" by default.

smb-in

nb-datagram-in

nb-name-in

nb-session-in

For all of them i have added 10.x.x.x/24 to the list, this has made no difference. Local IP is set to "all ip's". I am unsure about what defines local and external. To me local is lan ip's and external are wan or possibly external subnet ip's. This is apparently not the case as "local subnet" is default under external ip.

Logbook/logfile for programs and services/microsoft/windows/smbserver/security creates two entries when trying to connect from other subnet

Event ID 551

Permission error in smb-session

Username: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON

Event ID 1009

server denied anonymous access to client

So there's clear evidences that both host and client machines are seeing and responding to each other, but for some reason the client machine is being asked for user/pass, this even tho every setting on the host machine that should allow the connection without asking for user/pass is set that way.

Any ideas?

:)

-idiocracy, Jan 4, 2020

2. Can't map a network share with a different user/pass. Just refreshes.

First of all, before I tried mapping again, I cleared all of the credential related to my server using the credential manager. I also did "net use * /d" as suggested from the online research that I've done. I also rebooted my computer after all of this. Now, last thing I did to my computer was change the wifi card. I am assuming this might be the one causing the problem because I might still have some cached credentials from that wifi card(from registry). I'm able to map the network drive using the ip address, but not the netbios name. Whenever I map it(I tick the "connect using different credentials"), it would attempt to connect then it would refresh, then ask again for the user/pass. I'll get an error after that("cant map drive, already mapped with different credentials"). I'll attach a vid showing what Im saying.

2017-07-24 01-24-23 - Streamable

badogski29, Jan 4, 2020
  3. louis14 Win User
    sharing netbios without password across subnets

I have shared files between 2 laptops on my homenetwork (1 subnet) without password.
    I have read netbios can also share across subnets if you place a hostfile with the mapping hostname-ipnr on the client.
    My question is, if bios can share across subnets, isn't it dangerous to share without password because someone can share your files from the internet?

louis14, Jan 4, 2020
  4. W10p asks for user/pass only when mapping share from other subnet.

cannot open files on network shared drive

Is the remote shared folder mapped? Do you have a drive letter assigned to it?
    I'd suggest calling the software developer and asking them.

thebluebumblebee, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

W10p asks for user/pass only when mapping share from other subnet.

1. W10p asks for user/pass only when mapping share from other subnet. - Similar Threads - W10p asks user

2. other users logged in, when there are no other users

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    other users logged in, when there are no other users: Computer is being very slow. So i was removing an unused program via the control panel and it told me that there were other users logged in. This is a personal device and there are no other users. I checked the C:/Users folder and there are several there: Allison...
  3. [LAN] - How to share a map with only 1 or 2 other pc's?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [LAN] - How to share a map with only 1 or 2 other pc's?: I have the following situation: - Main PC - Home Server PC (for media files and backup purpose) - HTPC PC (in the living room) - Synology NAS - 2nd PC (for just in case) - 3th PC for backup files I want to share the files on the Home Server PC for just ONLY my own (main) PC...
  4. login defaults to other user only, no other users show

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    login defaults to other user only, no other users show: My W10 keeps defaulting to other user when there is none, and no way to get back to my login. Admin was set up by someone else, so don't have that. have always logged in w me as user. When I go to repair, i see my user name so i know it's out there somewhere....
  5. Unable to See Network Share Drive when Mapped only with Alphabet 'S'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to See Network Share Drive when Mapped only with Alphabet 'S': Hello Microsoft, We are unable to map a network drive with Letter S on Windows10 all versions of OS. Little Story behind - There are few folders on a network share and they have to be mapped with letter S - As its configured on one of our local applications. When we map...
  6. Username and Password required when mapping share drivers from another subnet mask

Username and Password required when mapping share drivers from another subnet mask: For some explicable reason, windows has decided to no longer accept access to it's shared folder from other subnets, and no one appears to know why. I have asked high and low and no one has the foggiest idea what's going on. Similar issue here, unresolved:...
  7. Always prompted for user/pass when accessing windows share from other subnet.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Always prompted for user/pass when accessing windows share from other subnet.: I have 3 windows pro machines, one is running as a NAS and has a regular share with "everyone" user rights to allow read/write. In gpedit "allow insecure guest login" is activated on all machines. In networking, network registration is on, file sharing is on, password...
  8. maps hangs when asked to get directions?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    maps hangs when asked to get directions?: win 10 maps hangs when instructed to get directions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maps-hangs-when-asked-to-get-directions/a223df84-efe5-4b11-898b-af5429db6575"
  9. Other User is the only account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Other User is the only account: Hi, its no great loss, I backed everything up. but my PC, I was using for basic testing and web stuff, is now not letting me in, I did the free upgrade, all good. decided, what the hell, lets reset the lot. (using the delete everything option) Windows 10 boots fine, but...
  10. Can't map a network share with a different user/pass. Just refreshes.

Can't map a network share with a different user/pass. Just refreshes.: First of all, before I tried mapping again, I cleared all of the credential related to my server using the credential manager. I also did "net use * /d" as suggested from the online research that I've done. I also rebooted my computer after all of this. Now, last thing I did...