Windows 10: W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool

Discus and support W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks From Brinks post in News on Server W2K22 - you get link to download and keys . I got it working on KVM/QEMU -- everything apart from sound... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 12, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool

Hi folks
    From Brinks post in News on Server W2K22 - you get link to download and keys .

I got it working on KVM/QEMU -- everything apart from sound but who needs sound on a server. SMB1 also working for sharing with older NAS / Windows systems. (update- sound now working -- start the service !!!)

At install choose the standard server not the datacenter option with the correct key from Brink's post if you just want to play around at home.

It should work equally on Windows Hosts either on VMWARE / VBOX or HYPER-V.

Good also for nested VM's -- add a VM to this VM !! performance is not bad either.

Brilliant for those who want to learn using servers etc -- also as a VM it's great because if you break anything you just delete that VM and start again !!

Here's the main VM :

W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool [​IMG]

Update -- Sound now working - just needed to enable the sound service on the Guest (W2K22) (sound is ICH9 in the VM config (on the host)

W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 12, 2021
  2. Aquinus Win User

qemu-kvm

It will not run under Windows as KVM is a kernel-level virtualization built for the Linux kernel.

It allows remote management (through KVM) using VNC (password optional, but I do recommend one.)

You don't need X installed on the server. You can install X Server on a windows machine, open an X tunnel using SSH, and open virt-manager and it will be displayed on your Windows box. I work with KVM in a business environment and it is a very nice platform (we have something like 8 QEMU/KVM virtual machines in production running on a dual-quad core xeon server with hyperthreading and 24gb of memory). Virt-manager makes it very easy to manage QEMU/KVM but the CLI tools gives you much more control.

I thought it could only run under the architecture it was compiled for.

Aquinus, Feb 12, 2021
  3. qemu-kvm

virt-manager is the gui that can be used to do exactly this.

from the open source project:QEMU is a generic and open source machine emulator and virtualizer.

When used as a machine emulator, QEMU can run OSes and programs made for one machine (e.g. an ARM board) on a different machine (e.g. your own PC). By using dynamic translation, it achieves very good performance.

When used as a virtualizer, QEMU achieves near native performances by executing the guest code directly on the host CPU. QEMU supports virtualization when executing under the Xen hypervisor or using the KVM kernel module in Linux. When using KVM, QEMU can virtualize x86, server and embedded PowerPC, and S390 guests.

Easy Rhino, Feb 12, 2021
  4. W1zzard Win User

qemu-kvm

i'm missing some kind of free gui based management thing for qemu-kvm that lets me do common VM tasks

W1zzard, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

1. W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool - Similar Threads - W2k22 pre release

2. MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2: I'm virtualizing a FreeBsd 13.0-2 machine on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS GNU/Linux 5.15.90.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2 x86_64 under WSL2 the base operating system is Win 11. I use virt-manager and everything runs fine until I try to upload a Window Manager, the mouse doesn't work in any...
  3. MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2: I'm virtualizing a FreeBsd 13.0-2 machine on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS GNU/Linux 5.15.90.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2 x86_64 under WSL2 the base operating system is Win 11. I use virt-manager and everything runs fine until I try to upload a Window Manager, the mouse doesn't work in any...
  4. Windows 10 Licensing on top of KVM/QEMU/Kubevirt

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Licensing on top of KVM/QEMU/Kubevirt: Greetings everyone!Have a question in regards to dynamic/standard licensing for Windows 10 based VMs Desktops RDP is not used and not planned to work with which run on KVM/QEMU/Kubevirt for dynamic scaling. If there is a possibility of dynamically activate them or use...
  5. Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM: Hi there If you have a spare external (or even internal) HDD / SSD that you want to use as a "Physical" Disk drive say on a Windows VM using native ntfs for exampleso you can unplug it later and connect to a Windows physical machine etc to copy data etc then it's easy enough...
  6. Windows activation in KVM/qemu virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation in KVM/qemu virtual machine: Hello, I have a problem with the activation of Win10 Pro. I have a digital license win7 upgrade in 2015 or something like that... I reinstalled my virtual machine with some new tweaks etc. the problem is now that I cannot activate Windows anymore with my Microsoft account...
  7. W2K22 Server - latest version used as a desktop workstation

W2K22 Server - latest version used as a desktop workstation: Hi folks Latest version of using Evaluation W2K22 server as a Desktop workstation : Note one defect - you can't currently install openssh-server from the install optional features. I needed to set SMB1 otherwise some machines on my LAN couldn't see it (and the reverse this...
  8. Going Bonkers - got W2K3 X-64 server working on KVM/QEMU

Going Bonkers - got W2K3 X-64 server working on KVM/QEMU: Hi there Must be going bonkers -- got W2K3 X-64 server version working on KVM/QEMU One needs a bit of fiddling to make it work as a Workstation as opposed to a server - but it's much better, stable and faster than XP 32 bit so I'm hoping to run my legacy XP stuff on this....
  9. KVM/QEMU users - creating a Network Bridge

KVM/QEMU users - creating a Network Bridge: Hi folks Those of you running a Linux host and wanting to run Windows VM's using KVM/QEMU then provided you've got a wired connection you should make a network bridge otherwise your VM will only be able to use NAT with connection limitations. so ensure net-tools and...
  10. Windows 10 pre-released version(18305)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 pre-released version(18305): updated my pc to the pre-released version(18305) and after that the MS Store app keep crashing all the time after a small pop-up, and also Groove app asks for a Media feature pack where Photos app doesn't....