Windows 10: W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool

Discus and support W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks From Brinks post in News on Server W2K22 - you get link to download and keys . I got it working on KVM/QEMU -- everything apart from sound... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 12, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool

Hi folks
    From Brinks post in News on Server W2K22 - you get link to download and keys .

I got it working on KVM/QEMU -- everything apart from sound but who needs sound on a server. SMB1 also working for sharing with older NAS / Windows systems. (update- sound now working -- start the service !!!)

At install choose the standard server not the datacenter option with the correct key from Brink's post if you just want to play around at home.

It should work equally on Windows Hosts either on VMWARE / VBOX or HYPER-V.

Good also for nested VM's -- add a VM to this VM !! performance is not bad either.

Brilliant for those who want to learn using servers etc -- also as a VM it's great because if you break anything you just delete that VM and start again !!

Here's the main VM :

W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool [​IMG]

Update -- Sound now working - just needed to enable the sound service on the Guest (W2K22) (sound is ICH9 in the VM config (on the host)

W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 12, 2021
  2. Aquinus Win User

qemu-kvm

It will not run under Windows as KVM is a kernel-level virtualization built for the Linux kernel.

It allows remote management (through KVM) using VNC (password optional, but I do recommend one.)

You don't need X installed on the server. You can install X Server on a windows machine, open an X tunnel using SSH, and open virt-manager and it will be displayed on your Windows box. I work with KVM in a business environment and it is a very nice platform (we have something like 8 QEMU/KVM virtual machines in production running on a dual-quad core xeon server with hyperthreading and 24gb of memory). Virt-manager makes it very easy to manage QEMU/KVM but the CLI tools gives you much more control.

I thought it could only run under the architecture it was compiled for.

Aquinus, Feb 12, 2021
  3. qemu-kvm

virt-manager is the gui that can be used to do exactly this.

from the open source project:QEMU is a generic and open source machine emulator and virtualizer.

When used as a machine emulator, QEMU can run OSes and programs made for one machine (e.g. an ARM board) on a different machine (e.g. your own PC). By using dynamic translation, it achieves very good performance.

When used as a virtualizer, QEMU achieves near native performances by executing the guest code directly on the host CPU. QEMU supports virtualization when executing under the Xen hypervisor or using the KVM kernel module in Linux. When using KVM, QEMU can virtualize x86, server and embedded PowerPC, and S390 guests.

Easy Rhino, Feb 12, 2021
  4. W1zzard Win User

qemu-kvm

i'm missing some kind of free gui based management thing for qemu-kvm that lets me do common VM tasks

W1zzard, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

1. W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool - Similar Threads - W2k22 pre release

2. W2K22 Server - latest version used as a desktop workstation

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W2K22 Server - latest version used as a desktop workstation: Hi folks Latest version of using Evaluation W2K22 server as a Desktop workstation : Note one defect - you can't currently install openssh-server from the install optional features. I needed to set SMB1 otherwise some machines on my LAN couldn't see it (and the reverse this...
  3. can't install optional feature in W2K22 server

can't install optional feature in W2K22 server: Hi folks can't install openssh-server on W2K22 evaluation server -(running it as a VM - nothing wrong in testing a server as a VM)- errors out with check insider levels but there's no options to do this !!! I need this to be able to use sftp on the server. [img] The...
  4. WinXPalso working on QEMU/KVM with Nero, Minidisc and audio CD mounter

WinXPalso working on QEMU/KVM with Nero, Minidisc and audio CD mounter: Hi folks Finally also got a standard XP PRO SP3 (32 bit) system to work properly on KVM/QEMU with a Minidisk recorder (professional version) , Nero 7 for compiling audio CD (inc from flac) and saving as an audio cd image, being able to mount it recogniseable to windows as an...
  5. Going Bonkers - got W2K3 X-64 server working on KVM/QEMU

Going Bonkers - got W2K3 X-64 server working on KVM/QEMU: Hi there Must be going bonkers -- got W2K3 X-64 server version working on KVM/QEMU One needs a bit of fiddling to make it work as a Workstation as opposed to a server - but it's much better, stable and faster than XP 32 bit so I'm hoping to run my legacy XP stuff on this....
  6. KVM/QEMU users - creating a Network Bridge

KVM/QEMU users - creating a Network Bridge: Hi folks Those of you running a Linux host and wanting to run Windows VM's using KVM/QEMU then provided you've got a wired connection you should make a network bridge otherwise your VM will only be able to use NAT with connection limitations. so ensure net-tools and...
  7. W10 VM Bridged networking QEMU/KVM (External Switch)

W10 VM Bridged networking QEMU/KVM (External Switch): Hi folks Really SIMPLE way of getting Bridged networking to work in QEMU KVM for proper VM access to rest of your LAN -- equivalent to external switch in HYPER-V Note you need to do this after re-boot from host each time --you can set a script etc for permanence but as I...
  8. Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge

Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge: Hi folks For those running Windows VM's on Linux Hosts and want to try the Linux Hypervisor (VMWare and VBOX will run concurrently so you don't even need to power off any running Windows VM's) with decent networking you need to set up a network Bridge (roughly analogous to...
  9. Windows 10 pre-released version(18305)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 pre-released version(18305): updated my pc to the pre-released version(18305) and after that the MS Store app keep crashing all the time after a small pop-up, and also Groove app asks for a Media feature pack where Photos app doesn't....
  10. Learning Tools for OneNote improves learning for all

in Windows 10 News
    Learning Tools for OneNote improves learning for all: “Students spend so much energy decoding that they can’t focus on content. This tool will help making learning more efficient.” —Joel Reese, educator at Sammamish High School “If my imagination designed technology, this would be in my wildest dream.” —Haley Heck, educator...