Windows 10: W2K22 Server - latest version used as a desktop workstation

Discus and support W2K22 Server - latest version used as a desktop workstation in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Latest version of using Evaluation W2K22 server as a Desktop workstation : Note one defect - you can't currently install openssh-server from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 20, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W2K22 Server - latest version used as a desktop workstation

Hi folks

Latest version of using Evaluation W2K22 server as a Desktop workstation :

Note one defect - you can't currently install openssh-server from the install optional features.
    I needed to set SMB1 otherwise some machines on my LAN couldn't see it (and the reverse this machine couldn't see the others).

Macrium knows its a server so if you want to use Macrium Free - use the bootable stand alone version - just at VM boot (power on time) set the VM to boot from the Iso image,

My version of Office 2019 is VL so I had no probs installing on a server -- others might have if using retail versions of Office

Other programs e.g ZOOM, VLC, Photoshop etc no problems -- Sound OK -- install the "Desktop experience" at the OS install time.

Got local themes to install too so you don't need that bland standard Windows background or the boring start up picture.

I've got a whole slew of things to get this to operate as a Desktop -- all the nag stuff and extra security gone and administrator changed to a proper user Id with standard passwords allowed. W7 Games also work on it.

W2K22 Server - latest version used as a desktop workstation [​IMG]

If people are interested I'll detail steps to convert to a Workstation -- Also works for W2K19 server.

These servers are a lot more efficient than the standard retail Windows W10 package --less bloat in them.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 20, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

can't install optional feature in W2K22 server

Hi folks
    can't install openssh-server on W2K22 evaluation server -(running it as a VM - nothing wrong in testing a server as a VM)- errors out with check insider levels but there's no options to do this !!!

I need this to be able to use sftp on the server.

The stupid server keeps retrying and failing every 15 mins too !!!!!! Can't find a way of stopping this "auto search"

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 20, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool

Hi folks
    From Brinks post in News on Server W2K22 - you get link to download and keys .

I got it working on KVM/QEMU -- everything apart from sound but who needs sound on a server. SMB1 also working for sharing with older NAS / Windows systems. (update- sound now working -- start the service !!!)

At install choose the standard server not the datacenter option with the correct key from Brink's post if you just want to play around at home.

It should work equally on Windows Hosts either on VMWARE / VBOX or HYPER-V.

Good also for nested VM's -- add a VM to this VM !! performance is not bad either.

Brilliant for those who want to learn using servers etc -- also as a VM it's great because if you break anything you just delete that VM and start again !!

Here's the main VM :

Update -- Sound now working - just needed to enable the sound service on the Guest (W2K22) (sound is ICH9 in the VM config (on the host)

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 20, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

W2022 server as Workstation

Hi folks

managed to get W2022 trial server to be really good as a workstation -- got rid of the various server nag bits like ctrl-delete to logon, change administrator name to local user, get rid of various other bits of server security.

(Works also on server 2019 too BTW)

note -- if you want themes -- add them manually -- themes created for W10 work just fine -- there's no store app yet for W2022 server. Ist 3 in the list were added manually. Lock screen only has slide show and picture as options so choose your own picture instead of the boring Ms one.

two other defects -- OPENSSH server won't install so you can't use a NAS server (non (file explorer).

VPN's won't install either -- some might but nordvpn fails.

Windows to Windows works i.e network browsing is OK if you set SMBV1 on the W2022 server via the server management.

Note also Free Macrium won't install unless it's a server edition -- the stand alone bootable iso works (create from W10 and it's OK)

here's my desktop for "W2022 -- Workstation" !!

Lock screen pic

just about to install photoshop

BTW even the old winamp works !!

The server versions if you spruce them up a bit run a load better than the standard desktops and they don't come with bloat -- Not sure if this is the purpose for which Ms intended them to be used for though.

These things are quite fun -- I think I'm beginning to like all @Edwin modifications --it gets quite addictive during all this covid lockdown.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

1. W2K22 Server - latest version used as a desktop workstation - Similar Threads - W2K22 Server latest

2. What’s is the latest version of msmq windows server 2022 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What’s is the latest version of msmq windows server 2022 ?: Can anyone confirm me the latest version of Msmq https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-is-the-latest-version-of-msmq-windows-server/eb2d91ef-4c2c-443b-9776-828ff5d4545c
  3. What’s is the latest version of msmq windows server 2022 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What’s is the latest version of msmq windows server 2022 ?: Can anyone confirm me the latest version of Msmq https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-is-the-latest-version-of-msmq-windows-server/eb2d91ef-4c2c-443b-9776-828ff5d4545c
  4. Update Sharepoint Server 2016 to the latest version from RTM version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update Sharepoint Server 2016 to the latest version from RTM version: Hi, I want to update my Sharepoint Server 2016 to the latest update KB 5002350 and the current version it RTM version. Is it safe to jump through to the latest update since is cumulative or there is a staging phase to upgrade from RTM version. Is there any consideration to...
  5. Update Sharepoint Server 2016 to the latest version from RTM version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update Sharepoint Server 2016 to the latest version from RTM version: Hi, I want to update my Sharepoint Server 2016 to the latest update KB 5002350 and the current version it RTM version. Is it safe to jump through to the latest update since is cumulative or there is a staging phase to upgrade from RTM version. Is there any consideration to...
  6. Desktop Upgrades with Windows 10 latest Version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Desktop Upgrades with Windows 10 latest Version: My desktop and a laptop were updated several months ago based on offers from Microsoft. So we updated all the computers in my family. I started having problems with my desktop and I put it aside as I have a laptop to work with. I recently figured out to fix the desktop. I...
  7. W2K22 Server Big BOO BOO from Ms (whether VM or real version)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W2K22 Server Big BOO BOO from Ms (whether VM or real version): Hi there What's up with Ms QC these days -- can't they even get the simplest of things correct. Anybody in the Windows insider program can download the W2K22 Server preview versions -- good for people who want to test / learn Windows server who for all sorts of reasons can't...
  8. can't install optional feature in W2K22 server

can't install optional feature in W2K22 server: Hi folks can't install openssh-server on W2K22 evaluation server -(running it as a VM - nothing wrong in testing a server as a VM)- errors out with check insider levels but there's no options to do this !!! I need this to be able to use sftp on the server. [img] The...
  9. W2022 server as Workstation

in Windows 10 Customization
    W2022 server as Workstation: Hi folks managed to get W2022 trial server to be really good as a workstation -- got rid of the various server nag bits like ctrl-delete to logon, change administrator name to local user, get rid of various other bits of server security. (Works also on server 2019 too BTW)...
  10. W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool

W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool: Hi folks From Brinks post in News on Server W2K22 - you get link to download and keys . I got it working on KVM/QEMU -- everything apart from sound but who needs sound on a server. SMB1 also working for sharing with older NAS / Windows systems. (update- sound now working --...