Windows 10: W7 to W10 ISO Ugrade, hang with spinning dots after Brink step#19

Discus and support W7 to W10 ISO Ugrade, hang with spinning dots after Brink step#19 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My previous attempts all ended the same place whether I used GWX "Get Windows" or Windows Update. This time was ISO method. Where the upgrade broke... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bam12b, Jul 20, 2016.

1. bam12b Win User

W7 to W10 ISO Ugrade, hang with spinning dots after Brink step#19

My previous attempts all ended the same place whether I used GWX "Get Windows" or Windows Update. This time was ISO method.

Where the upgrade broke down is when the install 100% screen goes to Welcome screen (step 19 in Brink tutorial -I do not know if there are any logs to post here if so how to access them.

Repair Windows was unsuccessful.

Rebooted to "installation seems to not be complete (sic)", replied No to whether to continue; got Troubleshoot menu; entered command prompt: I see a D drive that looks like my W7 files, and an empty C except a a zero size install txt file - no Windows 10 files I can see except on the X drive (install disk).

Tried to run sfc /scannow: failed.

I am able to recover my W7 image backup .

Tried several things to no avail after reading this forum:
    - uninstall Bitdefender/install MS Defender/Firewall
    - install IE replacing Chrome
    - install all windows updates
    - ran disc cleanup/chkdsk
    - uninstall logitec unifying program and all excess nvidia programs
    - disabled intel onboard graphics in BIOS.

:)

bam12b, Jul 20, 2016

2. Windows 10 update to version 16299 - Fails to restart to apply updates - error code: 0x80070032

For me the UPGRADE STOP AT 82% WHEN THE dots are spinning around. it hangs up.

Grzegorz B_1, Jul 20, 2016
  3. nicom028 Win User
    Upgrade W7 64bits to W10 32 bits. computer hangs after upgrade without reason. downgrade back to W7, now i have the 32 bits version.

Good day,

After upgrading from W7 64 bit pro, i received the W10 32 bit ??

W10 hangs even itself many times, only hard power down works.

So, i decided to go back to W7, but nw i have the W7 32 bits version.

What can i do to get my "old" W7 64 bit again, so i can try to update to W10 64 bit later????

eventvwr.exe did not show any help in W10, it reported that some snapp-in did not react.

Thanks for anyone who can help me out here.

nicom028, Jul 20, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Maybe it's me, but I can't follow your post.

Did you download the .ISO? Did you prepare a USB drive or DVD from the .ISO? (Or install a utility to allow Win 7 to mount the .ISO as a virtual drive?)

bobkn, Jul 21, 2016
  5. bam12b Win User
    Thanks for responding Bobkin. I used Media Creation tool to download the ISO corresponding to the upgrade to my W7 version (Home Prem x64 -> Windows 10 Home); then I burned the file to a RW DVD using Windows Explorer.

Sorry it was unclear I edited it. Hope thats better.

I am going to try updating BIOS. Motherboard forum suggests W10 does work on my mothrboard.

bam12b, Jul 21, 2016
  6. fireberd Win User
    What I remember, from using the Media Creation tool, it does everything including burning to a disc or writing to a flash drive.

I used it to create flash drive ISO's. I Think it also creates disc ISO's. If not, do not use the built in Windows burning. Use a program such as the free Imgburn.

I would not use an RW disc, either.

fireberd, Jul 21, 2016
  7. bam12b Win User
    OK I will try burning to a flashdrive instead. Thanks Fireberd

UPDATE I don't have large enough flashdrives to use this approach. Was the fail because of using a RW DVD for the ISO file? If so, I will go buy one.

bam12b, Jul 21, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

I doubt that the use of a RW disk matters.

Did you burn a copy of the .iso to the disk, or recreate the disk that the .iso is an image of?

You need to extract the .iso to a USB flash drive or DVD. You could make a bootable flash drive or DVD, although that isn't necessary to do an upgrade install.

bobkn, Jul 21, 2016
  9. bam12b Win User
    Thanks Bob - Not sure I understand the distinction but what I did was download the zip file thru Media Creation Tool, unzipped it to my hard drive then burned the image file using the tab in Explorer.

bam12b, Jul 23, 2016
  10. My advice to you and to everyone is just run the clean install, backup your data, install drivers... Before check if your EVERY piece of hardware works with Win10.. Is that hard to do?

WebbyLight0, Jul 23, 2016
  11. My advice to you and to everyone is just run the clean install, backup your data, install drivers... Before check if your EVERY piece of hardware works with Win10.. Is that hard to do?

WebbyLight0, Jul 23, 2016
  12. CmmTch Win User
    There isn't a need to do a clean install in all cases, it's not something that has to be done to get a good, working install of W10. I have upgraded 5 pc's from Win7 Home and Pro to W10 without incident. All previous OS files are intact, favorites, programs, etc...

If a user wants to do a clean install then fine, it will resolve issues that were there with the previous install/OS, if there were no issues with the previous OS then IMO it's not necessary.

CmmTch, Jul 23, 2016
  13. W7 to W10 ISO Ugrade, hang with spinning dots after Brink step#19

The PC will just run a lot better with fresh clean software. You can get a real impression and your opinion about that OS. Just my way of thinking.

WebbyLight0, Jul 24, 2016
  14. bam12b Win User
    please help
    webby i wish you had not hijacked my post with lame advice as i am not trying to clean install
    - i asked for specific help from the knowledgable community

bam12b, Jul 24, 2016
  15. bobkn Win User
    If you have an .ISO, it's an image of a disk. You can use the .ISO to re-create that disk.

Or, you can burn a copy of the .ISO to an optical disk. Then what you have on the disk is just the .ISO file.

If you are running it as an upgrade, you don't need a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. (You have to run the upgrade from the OS that you're upgrading.) You just need the .ISO expanded. Under Windows 8, you can mount the .ISO directly as a virtual disk and run the upgrade directly from that. (You can also do that under 7, but with a third-party utility. 8 and 10 mount .ISOs natively.)

No doubt I'm being very confusing, but I'm confused myself on what exactly you've done. Sorry.

bobkn, Jul 25, 2016
Thema:

1. W7 to W10 ISO Ugrade, hang with spinning dots after Brink step#19 - Similar Threads - W10 ISO Ugrade

2. How to proceed after Windows 10 hangs on spinning dots when booting after update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to proceed after Windows 10 hangs on spinning dots when booting after update?: I have a computer that updated and then won't finish booting. It hangs on a black screen with the blue window and spinning dots. It is a ASRock Z87 Extreme6 motherboard and Intel Core i3-4130T processor attempting to update Windows 10.When trying to boot from a USB drive with...
  3. How to proceed after Windows 10 hangs on spinning dots when booting after update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to proceed after Windows 10 hangs on spinning dots when booting after update?: I have a computer that updated and then won't finish booting. It hangs on a black screen with the blue window and spinning dots. It is a ASRock Z87 Extreme6 motherboard and Intel Core i3-4130T processor attempting to update Windows 10.When trying to boot from a USB drive with...
  4. How to proceed after Windows 10 hangs on spinning dots when booting after update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Spinning dots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Spinning dots: My computer I use for my classes stated Microsoft update was due. So I waited and it auto restarted and did the update. Now all I have is spinning dots. That is it. All my student's information is on that computer plus their pictures and other events they have participated...
  6. spinning dots

in Windows 10 Customization
    spinning dots: let me start by saying that my laptop is working perfectly, and windows 10 is working perfectly. I turn on the laptop, it's a Dell. I get the Dell logo screen as it posts. the screen blinks and the dell logo comes back on with the spinning dots. I want to change that...
  7. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  8. Stuck at Spinning Dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck at Spinning Dots: I have a Dell Precision 7910 on windows 10 1803. I updated a couple weeks ago through windows update. I have booted the machine several times since updating. A few days ago I update the NVIDIA driver. I have dual K620 cards. Booted a couple of times sine that update. Today...
  9. W7 to W10. 10 Downloaded. -iso to desktop-iso setup.exe = no install

W7 to W10. 10 Downloaded. -iso to desktop-iso setup.exe = no install: Downloaded W10 64bit as per the W10 How to upgrade Windows 10 Tutorial using the MCTool. Added a new Windows iso folder on my desktop and extracted the files to this folder. I then clicked on setup.exe which brought up a small oblong dark blue box with the word Windows and...
  10. Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image?

Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image?: I created ISO disks for both my 32 bit and 64 bit systems at the MS download site. If I use the ISO disk instead of the Windows Update method, does the install still create the W7 image in case I want to go back to W7 after installing W10? Also, do I boot from the disk or...