Windows 10: W7 to W10 upgrade fails – can't update the system reserved partition

Discus and support W7 to W10 upgrade fails – can't update the system reserved partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Apologies for the length of the post but I wanted to pre-empt requests for info. Dell E5450 laptop; Windows 7 SP1; Samsung 250 SSD W7 updates have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bradian, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Bradian Win User

W7 to W10 upgrade fails – can't update the system reserved partition

Apologies for the length of the post but I wanted to pre-empt requests for info.

Dell E5450 laptop; Windows 7 SP1; Samsung 250 SSD

W7 updates have all been applied other than the August monthly security update. I have cloned the SSD to another Samsung 250, in case the upgrade corrupts the installed SSD.

Attempted to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. I cannot perform a clean install because I need the laptop/data for urgent work and want to keep as many programs and as much data as possible.
    I followed the MS instructions to upgrade system, downloaded, received message ‘Creating Media’ and ‘Getting Updates’. Installation failed with ‘This PC can’t run Windows 10’ and ‘We couldn’t update the system reserved partition’. The process hadn’t yet requested the serial number.

Downloaded the ISO file and ran this because, in another query I had read that there is an option to keep programs and data and that this can create the partition (only for a clean install?). Following the message ‘Checking your PC’ the same above error appeared, again before requesting a serial number.

I read much about increasing the size of the partition and also EasyBCD being used to move boot details to the C: drive, but I’m not sure that it applies and does seem rather iffy.

The disk management info is show below. The layout of the SSD and data is the same as on my desktop, which also has a Samsung 250 SSD.

W7 to W10 upgrade fails – can't update the system reserved partition [​IMG]

I realise that a clean install is recommended but is there any way that I can go through the upgrade process?

:)

Bradian, Aug 6, 2019
  2. Anthony Gal, Aug 6, 2019
  3. WmBlack Win User
    System Reserved Partition W10 install problems

I have more than ample specs for W10 but the install continues to fail perhaps because I replaced the 2 hard drives with one Samsung SSD, which works great and runs W7 (64-bit) and all apps flawlessly.

None of the suggested fixes has helped and the partition tools suggested do not show the format as depicted in the examples (perhaps due to the one SSD?).

PC Magazine is reporting that Microsoft is preparing to push more people into upgrading to W10 through various means.

I am concerned about that as I seem unable to address the system reserved partition problem.

Bill Black

WmBlack, Aug 6, 2019
  4. JCoates2 Win User

W10 System Reserved Partition Error

I have an up-to-date W7 Dell laptop and received my W10 upgrade notice today. When going through the upgrade process, after I agreed to the legal terms, I get an error that says "Windows 10 couldn't be installed", "We couldn't update the system reserved
    partition."

The 'Learn more' link takes me to a page to buy a Dell PC. I'm running an i5 with 8GB memory and already meet the specs needed to upgrade.

My reserve partition is 100MB and has 7% free.

What do I have to do to get past this error?

JCoates2, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

1. W7 to W10 upgrade fails – can't update the system reserved partition - Similar Threads - W10 upgrade fails

2. upgrading w7 to w10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  3. After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions

After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions: I recently helped someone upgrade their system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 remotely. They are now running Windows 10 1909. Looking a Disk Management there are now 2 MSR (OEM Partition). [img] I do not recall creating the EFI System partition or the MSR partitions when...
  4. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  5. Can't update system reserved partition.

Can't update system reserved partition.: I cant update windows. Every time I try I get the cant update system reserved partition error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-update-system-reserved-partition/dfc732c2-5b49-43b0-afd9-62f6cbbd7aa8
  6. Windows 10 can't update system reserved partition; my system reserved partition is empty.

Windows 10 can't update system reserved partition; my system reserved partition is empty.: Hi, Trying to eliminate the freezing up problem with Windows 10. Recently noticed a key update KB3176938 has not been loaded to my system. In the settings, tried to update but got the message "Can't update the system reserved partition." OK, so poked around in Microsoft...
  7. Win 10 can't update System Reserved Partition

Win 10 can't update System Reserved Partition: Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was migrated from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 boots and runs great off the Samsung SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to...
  8. We can't update the system reserve partition

We can't update the system reserve partition: Every time I try to update and install windows 10 I get this error. It seems as if my reserve partition is too small to download windows 10. How would I go about fixing this issue. I have had a dual boot of linux in the past but got rid of it months ago. 14707
  9. Can't Update System Reserved Partition

Can't Update System Reserved Partition: Received this message whilst trying to upgrade my Acer Laptop from Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 256 GB SSD to Windows 10 Home. [img] I've previously upgraded my Desktop from Windows 7 Pro SP1 256 GB SSD to Windows 10 Pro & subsequently performed a clean install with no...
  10. Upgrade to 10 failed - unable to update reserved partition

Upgrade to 10 failed - unable to update reserved partition: Hi Guys, I have tried to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7, but after downloading, it prompts the above. Tried finding how to solve the problem only, where it is a known problem and there are steps to free up the RESERVED partition. Problem is, my C: does...