Windows 10: W7 Upgrade error - winload.exe is not digitally signed

Discus and support W7 Upgrade error - winload.exe is not digitally signed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, hoping this is the right subforum I built a HTPC a few years ago and it had suited my needs fine. Relevant parts used are: i3-3225 CPU,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Arkitekt, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Arkitekt Win User

W7 Upgrade error - winload.exe is not digitally signed

Hi all, hoping this is the right subforum

I built a HTPC a few years ago and it had suited my needs fine. Relevant parts used are:
    • i3-3225 CPU,
    • Scythe Big Shuriken 2 RevB,
    • Asus P8-H77 Pro,
    • 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600 RAM,
    • Samsung 830 Series 64Gb SSD (OS HDD),
    • WD Cavier Green 2TB (Media HDD),

I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 but kept receiving errors, such as the partition was not GPT (0xc000021a). The one error that happens every time I tried to upgrade or install Windows 10 was winload.exe was not digitally signed. I wiped the drive, reformatted it as NTFS, converted to GPT and installed W10 from blank and still had the same winload.exe error. Right now I have put W7 Ultimate 64bit back on and am installing all the windows updates.

My question is, does anyone know why I keep get a winload.exe not digitally signed error? I have downloaded the W10 upgrade files numerous times, redownloaded the media creation tool, set clean boot, even tried downloading the upgrade and creating a usb drive with it from a different PC but same error.

Is there perhaps some upgrades that I should make my HTPC?

:)

Arkitekt, Oct 26, 2015

2. The file P17.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by WHQL. You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Hi Mark,

I need more information about the issue.

• When exactly do you get this error?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Restart the computer a few times and check for Windows Updates.

In the Search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

Also, try to re-install the display drivers.

To update your display driver, you'll need to uninstall your current display adapter, and then check for driver updates.

• Right-click the Start button. Click on Device Manager.
    • Expand the Display adapters section, right-click the listed adapter, then select Uninstall. Select the Delete the driver software for this device check box, then select OK and restart your PC.
    • After your PC restarts, press the Windows logo key.
    • From Settings, select Update & security >Windows Update >Check for updates.
    Please get back to us with the results to assist you further.

Thank you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Oct 26, 2015
  3. The file P17.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by WHQL. You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Original Title: Direct X

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Display Tab 2: No problems found.

Display Tab 3: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: The file P17.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 3: The file P17.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Sound Tab 4: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

MarkSprinkle, Oct 26, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Try turning secure boot off in bios.

NavyLCDR, Oct 26, 2015
  5. Arkitekt Win User
    Should have probably mention that. I have turned it off (or at least under the belief that it is. Security boot is set to Other Legacy OS, secure boot is greyed out and reads disabled.

Arkitekt, Oct 26, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    The winload.exe must be corrupt so the digital signature is invalid. Try downloading the Windows 10 ISO from here and use that to install Windows. Best is to burn on DVD-ROM to have it handy in any installation or troubleshooting you may do.

spapakons, Oct 27, 2015
  7. Arkitekt Win User
    The HTPC I am wanting to install it on does not have an ODD, would making a bootable usb drive suffice?

Arkitekt, Oct 27, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Yes, you can do that. You can also use a USB DVD-ROM if you can borrow one.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W7 Upgrade error - winload.exe is not digitally signed - Similar Threads - Upgrade error winload

2. Error while digital signing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error while digital signing: Getting error " capicom object not found" while digitally signing the documents in edge as well as in internet explorerAny help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-while-digital-signing/7dd22845-d64d-4029-b39d-4c1dd5296247
  3. Error while digital signing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error while digital signing: Getting error " capicom object not found" while digitally signing the documents in edge as well as in internet explorerAny help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-while-digital-signing/7dd22845-d64d-4029-b39d-4c1dd5296247
  4. Winload exe. Unable to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Winload exe. Unable to boot: Hi. i am getting a blue screen containing this error when booting to os simalar to those in this thread...
  5. Winload Error Message/Crash Problem.

in Windows 10 Support
    Winload Error Message/Crash Problem.: Basicallly my problem started like this I was on my other pc last night and somehow accidentally spilled water on the mouse and keyboard, causing it to make the keyboard's characters come out all wrong. The mouse worked fine, I tried to use Device Manager a few times tou...
  6. Upgrading from W7 Pro - Errors and Questions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from W7 Pro - Errors and Questions: I downloaded the media tool to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Unfortunately the upgrade fails on the first boot after reaching 71% and reverts back to W7. I receive the message "The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA...
  7. upgrading w7 to w10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  8. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  9. Upgrade from W7 to W 10 Error

Upgrade from W7 to W 10 Error: How can i solve this Issue below: 0x8007042B - 0x2000D migrate_data safe_os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-w7-to-w-10-error/ffd0cd37-10ff-44dd-8073-f685a670e633
  10. W7-W10 Pro x64 Upgrade error

in Windows 10 Support
    W7-W10 Pro x64 Upgrade error: I updated my drivers and bios on my Dell E6230, then tried the update. I get the following error. [img] Can I get some direction on what to look for? Thanks. 35454
Tags: