Windows 10: W98 SE working OK for me - Opera browser too

Discus and support W98 SE working OK for me - Opera browser too in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks @jbcarreon123 Trying this on VMWare workstation 16 on Linux Host working for me just fine . Opera browser also works ("after a fashion")... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 1, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W98 SE working OK for me - Opera browser too

Hi folks

@jbcarreon123

Trying this on VMWare workstation 16 on Linux Host

working for me just fine .

Opera browser also works ("after a fashion")

W98 SE working OK for me - Opera browser too [​IMG]

@Hopachi

You CAN run KVM and VMWare virtual machines concurrently on Linux these days. Here's W10 (latest preview build on KVM/QEMU and W98 SE on VMWare both up concurrently.

(KVM/QEMU I think won't do it (Win 98 SE) without mega hassle -- as I said VMWare is quite good at supporting really Old OS'es).

This VM also runs without problems on Windows 10

Here's the vmx VM config file -- note set HW version to '7' - the newer hardware capability of VMWare workstation / player might cause all sorts of problems.

#!/usr/bin/vmware
    .encoding = "windows-1252"
    config.version = "8"
    virtualHW.version = "7"
    scsi0.present = "TRUE"
    memsize = "256"
    ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
    ide0:0.fileName = "Windows 98.vmdk"
    ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
    ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
    ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
    floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
    floppy0.fileName = ""
    floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
    ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
    ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
    ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
    ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
    usb.present = "TRUE"
    ehci.present = "TRUE"
    sound.present = "TRUE"
    sound.fileName = "-1"
    sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
    pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
    pciBridge4.functions = "8"
    pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
    pciBridge5.functions = "8"
    pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
    pciBridge6.functions = "8"
    pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
    pciBridge7.functions = "8"
    vmci0.present = "TRUE"
    roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
    displayName = "Windows 98"
    guestOS = "win98"
    nvram = "Windows 98.nvram"
    virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
    extendedConfigFile = "Windows 98.vmxf"
    ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"
    ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"
    ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:25:a8:32"
    tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
    uuid.location = "56 4d f6 4b ba dc e9 aa-f3 6c a1 36 05 e0 12 91"
    uuid.bios = "56 4d 3f 89 ec d0 2f c2-1d af c5 31 46 25 a8 32"
    cleanShutdown = "FALSE"
    replay.supported = "TRUE"
    replay.filename = ""
    ide0:0.redo = ""
    pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
    pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
    pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
    pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
    pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
    scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
    usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
    ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
    sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
    ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
    vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
    vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
    ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
    vmci0.id = "1176873010"
    policy.vm.managedVMTemplate = "FALSE"
    policy.vm.managedVM = "FALSE"
    numa.autosize.cookie = "10001"
    numa.autosize.vcpu.maxPerVirtualNode = "1"
    monitor.phys_bits_used = "40"
    softPowerOff = "FALSE"

I'm not developing this any further as I have no use for Win98 but it was just a challenge to see if it could work one way or another -- lucky we've got plenty of spare time these days.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 1, 2021

2. Opera Browser Assistant has stopped working

I suggest that you ask in the Opera Browser forums:

Opera Browser Assistant?

Bill Smithers, May 1, 2021
  3. Feb Windows10 update freeze and messed up my Opera browser!

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the issues you are facing in installing the Windows Updates and accessing Opera browser on your device, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that when you are trying to install the updates, Windows might reboot for a few number times.

The time it takes to install the update depends on Internet connection, size of the update being installed etc..

• Do let us know if you are referring to navigation bar, menu, Settings within the Opera browser?
    • Which was the latest update installed on your computer?

If you are facing issues in accessing navigation bar, menu, Settings within the Opera browser then, I suggest you to uninstall the browser, re-install the latest version and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + x key to open a task list from the bottom left corner of the screen.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Programs and Features.

• Right click on Opera
      browser and select uninstall and follow the onscreen instructions.

Try to download Opera browser from the below link using Internet Explorer/ Microsoft Edge

Download Opera for Computers

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, May 1, 2021
  4. Cr00zng Win User

Opera browser initial connections...

That had been my recollection as well, but the guide in your link does not work. It used to in previous versions and don't know when it has been changed?

After some search, in version 56.x, it is under search pop-up:

Doing so did disable the Ukranian, but not the Europe bank connection. Oh well, I'll just keep blocking it with the firewalls...

Thanks for the tip...

Cr00zng, May 1, 2021
Thema:

1. W98 SE working OK for me - Opera browser too - Similar Threads - W98 working Opera

2. Opera gx browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opera gx browser: For some reason whenever i download or am about to download a file the opera window turns red in my task bar even when the download is sucsessful https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opera-gx-browser/137d2a91-13f1-4bbf-9408-4ac0eed92c88
  3. Why is Windows 10 telling me that Opera Web Browser is unsafe and deletes Opera

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows 10 telling me that Opera Web Browser is unsafe and deletes Opera: Why is Windows 10 telling me that Opera Web Browser is unsafe and deletes Opera? I have been using Opera since I bought my computer. Why is Windows labeling it as UNSAFE?...
  4. Opera Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Opera Browser: I have been using the Opera browser for over a year and up until recently it has worked fine. For some reason now, it does NOT open hardly any website. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Nothing seems to help. Any ideas? 172829
  5. Problem with Opera browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Opera browser: A version of the Opera browser has been working okay in a Debian Jessie system for about 9 months. Suddenly certain features no longer work :- (1) Can't open attachments in emails, especially PDF attachments. (2) Can't use ALT-P to clear cache/cookies Can anyone explain...
  6. OPERA Browser Program will not download/work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OPERA Browser Program will not download/work: I have tried to install the Opera Browser onto my upgraded WIN10 system. It will not finish to give me a working program and I cannot find any error or suggested manner to get this program to install and work as it did prior to the new WIN10 build. Any suggestions … or...
  7. About the opera browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    About the opera browser: Ok guys, is this true? Opera browser is a virus just because it slow's down my computer? because i will freak out if it is. <Animated GIF removed> * Moved from Virus & Malware...
  8. About the opera browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    About the opera browser: Ok guys, is this true? Opera browser is a virus just because it slow's down my computer? because i will freak out if it is.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/about-the-opera-browser/3b1f1ead-9c27-41ea-b5c5-2952b1d45bd2
  9. Latest Opera browser

in Browsers and Email
    Latest Opera browser: I've recently installed the new Opera browser. and so far am liking it. I've usually used Chrome, and like that, too. I did a little testing on my own, using Task Mgr. I find that Opera uses substantially less resources than Chrome. I like many of the Opera features, such...
  10. Default Apps will not allow me to select Opera Browser.

in Browsers and Email
    Default Apps will not allow me to select Opera Browser.: Hi, Yesterday I downloaded the new Opera 36 Browser. I like the look of it and would like to trial it for a while. However when I attempted to set it as default in Settings/Default Apps it will not accept the Opera Icon. I visited select defaults for Apps and ticked access...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. opera browser windows 98