Windows 10: Wake from sleep - unwanted ethernet, versus mouse?

Discus and support Wake from sleep - unwanted ethernet, versus mouse? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; About a week ago I started noticing that my PC, which normally goes to sleep at the three-hour mark of inactivity, would be awake when I returned from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by asus2016, Apr 30, 2020.

1. asus2016 Win User

Wake from sleep - unwanted ethernet, versus mouse?

About a week ago I started noticing that my PC, which normally goes to sleep at the three-hour mark of inactivity, would be awake when I returned from work, or to a lesser extent, in the morning.

Using the event viewer, I found that the source of these unwanted wakes - honestly, virtually all my wakes including the "wanted" ones - was Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V.

But I use my mouse - double-click - to wake my computer. Which, as far as I know - confirmed by the wake times earlier than last week - was how/when the computer was waking.

So I turned off that Ethernet connection's ability to wake the computer (using Device Manager). Put PC to sleep manually from the start menu. Double-clicked the mouse, which woke the PC. And the wake source was USB Input Device (my USB mouse).

I'm comfortable I've disabled the unwanted wakes, and relieved that the mouse can still wake the computer.

But I'm also wondering:
    1. Why did the ethernet connection suddenly start waking the computer when I was away?
    2. Why did my mouse wakes show up as ethernet wakes before I disabled the ethernet connection from waking?

:)

asus2016, Apr 30, 2020

2. wake from sleep issue in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to check which devices are configured to wake up the computer from sleep by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command line below:
    Powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

3. Check if the devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet cable) are listed.

If the system is not going to sleep and going to Hybernate, the only option to wake up is to press the Power button.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 30, 2020
  3. Using laptop as desktop - can't wake it from sleep with wireless mouse or keyboard.

• I'm having a very difficult time following the narrative in your last five (5) replies.
    I've tried to be as clear and concise as possible.

• Have you or have you not installed Avast Free?
    I hadn't uninstalled it, only deactivated it; but just now I did uninstall it, then re-booted the laptop, put it to sleep and tried to wake it using the mouse. No luck.

• You just posted: "Just now, I disconnected the mouse, keyboard and monitor; manually put it to sleep using the Start Menu icons (because the lid action is still set to do nothing); closed the lid; and when I opened the lid it woke up."
    • So the Notebook PC (laptop) "wakes up" now as long as the external devices (i.e., mouse; keyboard; monitor) are not connected to the ASUS device, is that correct?
    Mouse and keyboard connected or disconnected doesn't have any effect on what happens:

- Opening the lid wakes the laptop.

- If the lid is already open and I put the laptop to sleep, pressing the power button wakes up the laptop.

- Lid open or closed, if I put the laptop to sleep and try to wake it using the mouse or keyboard, nothing happens.

eljaycanuck, Apr 30, 2020
  4. gmcgee78 Win User

Will not wake up from sleep

I have 1809-17763.379 and if I choose sleep by right clicking the start button the computer will not wake up with the mouse or keyboard. It will wake up from screensaver with the mouse. If I push the power button it will wake up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

gmcgee78, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Wake from sleep - unwanted ethernet, versus mouse? - Similar Threads - Wake sleep unwanted

2. Keyboard and mouse no longer waking from sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keyboard and mouse no longer waking from sleep.: As title. As of this time last week it worked, not sure exactly when it stopped working, but I do know it hasn't been working for the last 2-3 days now.All my settings are still the same as they were prior to it not working, keyboard and mouse are both set to "allow this...
  3. Keyboard and mouse no longer waking from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and mouse no longer waking from sleep.: As title. As of this time last week it worked, not sure exactly when it stopped working, but I do know it hasn't been working for the last 2-3 days now.All my settings are still the same as they were prior to it not working, keyboard and mouse are both set to "allow this...
  4. Keyboard and mouse no longer waking from sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. sleep versus hibernate versus hybrid sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    sleep versus hibernate versus hybrid sleep: How to enter hybrid sleep? For a long time, but not forever on win10, this Asus 2 in 1 laptop can never awake from sleep, it hard locks in sleep when it goes to sleep on its own, And usually hard locks within a few minutes. I told it NEVER to shut down when on AC power, so...
  6. Problems reconnecting Ethernet after waking from PC sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems reconnecting Ethernet after waking from PC sleep: In mid-March, I bought a new custom-built desktop computer running Windows 10 that includes a motherboard with a RealTek PCIe GBE family network controller, which worked perfectly until several days ago. A couple of weeks back, I subscribed to Adobe Creative Cloud and...
  7. Waking pc from sleep with the mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Waking pc from sleep with the mouse: Up until yesterday, if my pc was in sleep mode and I wanted to use it, I simply had to click the mouse and it would kick into life. That doesn't happen anymore and I can't seem to get the answer. I thought about doing a system restore but I discovered this morning that the...
  8. Unwanted wake up from sleep

Unwanted wake up from sleep: Hi, When putting the PC to sleep, it wakes up on its own after some time (don’t know exactly, roughly after 1-2h). Setup: Win 10 Pro, ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac board, i7-7700k Already run the following commands: powercfg –lastwake --> shows the same result every time (no...
  9. Frozen Mouse After Wake From Sleep

Frozen Mouse After Wake From Sleep: Hi All, I just recently received my new Alienware Aurora R5 desktop computer and I'm having issues with my SteelSeries Sensei wired mouse freezing after waking the computer from sleep. This includes the CPI high/low button not responding after waking from sleep even though...
  10. Mouse pointer disappears on wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse pointer disappears on wake from sleep: Recently my mouse pointer has been disappearing when the system wakes in Windows 10 Pro. I can still see it highlighting when moving the mouse and the dialog open with a right click. It only comes back if I open the Task Manager or a separate window. Strangely if I manually...