Windows 10: Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed

Discus and support Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I met problem when configuring wake on lan. After enabling wake on lan in BIOS and in network adapter settings, I was able to wake my computer from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ZeyuDong, May 22, 2019.

1. ZeyuDong Win User

Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed

I met problem when configuring wake on lan. After enabling wake on lan in BIOS and in network adapter settings, I was able to wake my computer from sleep. But the problem is my laptop won't wake up when the lid is closed. That is to say:

1. When I manually sleep my computer via "Start -> Power -> Sleep" button (thus the lid is not closed), I can successfully wake my computer on lan.
    2. When I closed the lid to let computer go to sleep, I can't wake up the computer.
    3. When I sleep the computer as in 1 and then close the lid, I still cannot wake my computer.

I have tried several method, including disabling the quickstart, disabling hybrid sleep, turning off Link State Power Management, disable power saving policy in adapter settings and etc.... But they all make no effect.

The Windows version is Windows 10 1809

The Network Adapter is made by Realtek

Thanks in advance!

:)

ZeyuDong, May 22, 2019

2. Wake on lan not working.

the WOL(Wake on LAN) feature of my PC seem to not work anymore, I tried reinstalling the drivers and all but the feature is gone. any idea why? I checked the properties of my LAN driver and it turns out that WOL is turned on however in the advanced tab
    the WOL property is totally missing I can't figure out why, any help will be appreciated
    Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed 7b0e7c39-e226-469c-b279-4a36d3e687a7.png

Raunak Dutta, May 22, 2019
  3. WOL Wake on Lan not working after upgrade from windows 8.1

Hi Chris and Jessen P,

The setting for the soft off S5 state if your bios supports it:

Look at this artikel:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa373229(v=vs.85).aspx

It claims:

"Wake-on-LAN behavior

The wake-on-LAN (WOL) feature wakes the computer from a low power state when a network adapter detects a WOL event (typically, a specially constructed Ethernet packet).

The default shutdown behavior puts the system into hybrid shutdown (S4) and all devices are put into D3. Remote wake from hybrid shutdown (S4) or classic shutdown (S5) is completely unsupported. NICs are explicitly not armed for
    wake in both the classic shutdown (S5) and hybrid shutdown (S4) cases because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of spurious wakes when explicit shutdown was requested.
    As a result, Wake-On-LAN is only ever supported from sleep (S3) or hibernate (S4).

Hybrid shutdown (S4) stops user sessions but the contents of kernel sessions are written to hard disk. This enables faster boot. "

But that is not true:

1. Update your driver from the vendor site

2. If you have the option to enable wake on link you can shut your pc down and wake it by WOL.

3. Standy and hibernation should work if you apply the settings of Jessen P.

Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed d3adfe94-ecd4-470b-b1f0-4bf9227d84a4.png

Hope this helps you or someone else.

Kind regards,

isee2it.nl

Martijn Kamminga, May 22, 2019
  4. Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed

Laptop tries to wake from sleep while lid is closed.

Hello,

I have a Gateway NV53A with Windows 10 Home installed. When I close the lid, it goes to sleep normally for a few hours, but after a few hours it will start to get caught in a never ending "wake up loop" i.e. the laptop will try to wake itself up before quickly
    realizing that it can't because the lid is closed. The DVD drive will continuously start to spin up each time. This happens every two or three seconds. The sound of the DVD drive trying to spin up every three seconds is annoying and it also wastes battery.
    Normally, I have to hit a key on the keyboard to wake up the laptop after opening the lid again, but when it's in one of these wake up loops, it successfully wakes itself up upon opening the lid (evidence suggesting it's indeed trying to wake itself up.)

I've tried using the command line to see what devices are permitted to wake up the device, but none were listed. I've also disabled wake on LAN.

The only clue I've been able to find is an error in the system log that reads: "The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance."

However, I'm not sure this pertains to the specific issue I'm having.

TaylorPinkham, May 22, 2019
Thema:

Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed

1. Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed - Similar Threads - Wake Lan WOL

2. Wake on Lan broken WOL

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake on Lan broken WOL: Hi,Since some weeks, Wake On Lan is not working any more on a lot of Windows 10 et 11 devices.I rechecked every parameters and driver version without success.On a booted windows, I can confirm that the magic packet is received. Any advice is welcome.Thanks...
  3. Wake on Lan broken WOL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wake on Lan broken WOL: Hi,Since some weeks, Wake On Lan is not working any more on a lot of Windows 10 et 11 devices.I rechecked every parameters and driver version without success.On a booted windows, I can confirm that the magic packet is received. Any advice is welcome.Thanks...
  4. Wake on Lan broken WOL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wake on LAN WoL Randomly Waking PC During Sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wake on LAN WoL Randomly Waking PC During Sleep: Hello, I was wondering if someone here could help me out with a network-related problem, please? I am trying to use WoL to access my computer when I am away from my desktop, but my desktop cannot stay asleep because it keeps randomly being woken up by my network card, an...
  6. How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) from hibernation over WiFi?

How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) from hibernation over WiFi?: I am using a ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 Gaming Laptop, connected to an external monitor. I would like to set my computer to hibernate when I am not using it. However, I have my laptop and an external fan on a vertical dock with the lid closed. Is there a way to wake my computer...
  7. Wake-On-Lan does not work

Wake-On-Lan does not work: Hi there I'm having trouble getting the Wake-On-Lan to work. Here is what I did so far: - I activated Wake-On-Lan in UEFI (there is only one option for this in my UEFI) - On my network adapter (Device Manager/Network adapters/Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller/Properties)...
  8. Wake-On-Lan does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake-On-Lan does not work: Hi there I'm having trouble getting the Wake-On-Lan to work. Here is what I id so far: - I activated Wake-On-Lan in UEFI there is only one option for this in my UEFI - On my network adapter Device Manager/Network adapters/Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller/Properties on the...
  9. Wake on lan- WOL not showing in network advanced option

Wake on lan- WOL not showing in network advanced option: I have b-360 prime mother board and WOL absolutely not showing in network setting and also power management is not showing I tried everything I went to BIOS and enabled PCI-E/PCI and disabled fast startup and my operating system is windows 10 OS build 19041.508 I don't know...
  10. Does Wake on LAN (WOL) signal reset the sleep timer in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does Wake on LAN (WOL) signal reset the sleep timer in Windows 10?: I have a Windows 10 machine acting as a file server that is set to sleep after three hours. If I send a Wake on Lan (WOL) signal after two hours and fifty-five minutes, will that reset the sleep time, or will the machine still shut down in five more minutes? submitted by...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 laptop wake on lan lid closed