Windows 10: Wake source unknown

Discus and support Wake source unknown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi forum hivemind, I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue with their labtop turn on while transported without a known cause. I've been to self help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ericjms, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ericjms Win User

Wake source unknown

Hi forum hivemind,

I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue with their labtop turn on while transported without a known cause.

I've been to self help sites that have told me various solutions such as:

Win 10:

Command prompt/

powercfg -lastwake

And it comes up with no logged issues.

yet.

When I check Event viewer it comes up with(?) :

Wake source unknown [​IMG]

Edit: [sorry for the screen extension on the screen shot]

:)

ericjms, Mar 10, 2019

2. Windows 10 Waking self up at random times in morning with Wake Source: Unknown

After installing Windows 10, my computer started waking it self up at random times between 7am and 9am. I check the power troubleshooter in the even log and it is just coming up with Wake Source: Unknown.

When I run "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" the only thing coming up is the keyboard. I disabled wakeup on lan and have turned off wake timers. I did have this problem for on windows 8.1.

I tried suggestions from similar topics with no luck. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

JacobLouis, Mar 10, 2019
  3. How to tell what wake source is when Wake Source: Unknown

I think I finally found out how to tell what the wake source is in this scenario:

This shows the "Reboot" task under UpdateOrchestrator which I believe might have been causing the problem.

Instructions on how to disable it are found in Step 2 of this fantastic answer: https://superuser.com/a/973029/226996

I'll report back if I'm finding the computer is still waking and I can't determine the source with this method...

Allen Pestaluky, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Wake source unknown

How to tell what wake source is when Wake Source: Unknown

Same problem as so many people: My computer wakes itself, but I can't determine the source. Windows 10. It's happened around 3:40am, 12:21am, etc. Seems to happen every few weeks.

These are some details regarding my system configuration after the wake happens:

Configruation:

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed → NONE

powercfg -waketimers → There are no active wake timers in the system.

Power Options Advanced Settings → Sleep → Allow wake timers → Disable

(Classic) Control Panel / System and Security / Security and Maintenance / Automatic Maintenance → "Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time" unchecked.

All wake on "Magic Packet" or "Pattern Match" or "Link Settings" of all network adapters are set to "Disabled" in the Advanced settings of the devices in Device Manager.

ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ motherboard (no "wake from sleep" options found in UEFI).

Diagnostic Info:

Event Viewer → Wake Source: Unknown

powercfg -lastwake → Wake History Count - 1, Wake History [0]: Wake Source Count - 0

Allen Pestaluky, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

Wake source unknown

1. Wake source unknown - Similar Threads - Wake source unknown

2. Wake Source Unknown: Wake Timer Settings?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake Source Unknown: Wake Timer Settings?: I’m having an issue whereby after putting my PC to sleep it always wakes up after only 10-20 seconds. Within the Event Viewer the wake source is listed as unknown. Interestingly, when I put the PC back to sleep a second time it remains sound asleep until I actively wake it. I...
  3. Wake Source Unknown: Wake Timer Settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wake Source Unknown: Wake Timer Settings?: I’m having an issue whereby after putting my PC to sleep it always wakes up after only 10-20 seconds. Within the Event Viewer the wake source is listed as unknown. Interestingly, when I put the PC back to sleep a second time it remains sound asleep until I actively wake it. I...
  4. Wake Source Unknown: Wake Timer Settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Security Malware Unknown source

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Security Malware Unknown source: While i was looking at my privacy settings i noticed that under some of the Microsoft Icons such as Office and Windows that instead of Microsoft Corp being listed under their Icon UNKNOWN was listed instead. This happened not long after i connected my iCLOUD account to my...
  6. "Enable Unknown Sources"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Enable Unknown Sources": I have a PC with Windows 10 version 1909. One of my objectives requires that I enable unknown sources temporarily. The instructions given to me require that I click on a command with those specific words. I can't find that switch or even similar words. My latest search...
  7. Error during scanning - Unknown source

in Windows 10 Support
    Error during scanning - Unknown source: I had just started the machine this morning and up popped an error message window. I've been unable to find the source or cause. I'm concerned it may be something bad so I haven't clicked it yet. [img] 145677
  8. unknown sources

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unknown sources: I need to download a program for my buisness, but I need to turn off the setting that blocks the unknown source. I know the source, and it's safe, but I can't find the setting to turn the block off, Please help, I need to do this, like yesterday. Thank you for any help, I'm...
  9. Unknown error source

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown error source: Hi there, I get this error every few days and I have no idea where it is coming from! I understand it is perhaps because I installed 32-bit software instead of 64? But I have no clue from what program it is coming from. Please see my attached screenshot for what I see. Any...
  10. wake source missing

in Windows 10 Support
    wake source missing: Hi! First post here. I was planning on doing a script that behaves differently depending on which wake source type waking up my system from hibernate. Im abled to differentiate between timer wake-up and mouse/keyboard wake-up, but not between mouse/keyboard and wake on magic...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wake source: unknown

2. PC Wake source unknown