Windows 10: Waking PC up from sleep mode causes a reboot

Discus and support Waking PC up from sleep mode causes a reboot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Problem: I have a small group of Dell Latitude E7470 (Bios Version 1.11.3) laptops that have and sleep mode issue. When a user closes the top... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Paul M_1600, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Waking PC up from sleep mode causes a reboot

Problem:

I have a small group of Dell Latitude E7470 (Bios Version 1.11.3) laptops that have and sleep mode issue.

When a user closes the top cover of the laptop and puts the machine to sleep all appears normal and the power light begins to pulse. Then, when the user opens the top cover to begin using the laptop once again the laptop fails to wake up from sleep mode and restarts causing the user to log into the laptop each time. The laptop behaves this way regardless of the way it entered sleep mode, e.g. via the power button or from the start menu.

• The laptop power settings are defined by group policy.

• All of the affected laptops are running Windows 10 1809 Enterprise.

• The issue does not appear to be a user problem as the issue occurs whether or not a user signs into the laptop.

• The bios was updated prior to imaging the laptop in the spring of 2017. v1.11.3

Troubleshooting:

The following steps have had limited success.

• Bluetooth on/off. Sometimes if we leave the Bluetooth off the issue goes away, but not always.

• Changing what closing top cover does, e.g. change the setting of the top cover to do nothing when closed and then return the setting back to sleep when the top cover closes.

• Swapping SSD from one computer to another identical make/model computer and then back. In this step, we move the affected SSD to another laptop and boot the computer. then log in and test sleep mode. at this point, the issue is not present. Then, we place the SSD back into it's the original laptop, so far, this has been successful, however, we are still not confident this is a long term fix and we would like to understand why this step would have the effect that it does.

:)

Paul M_1600, Mar 27, 2019

2. Sleep / Wake Function, malfunctions after waking

Hi,

Issues that arise after waking up the PC from sleep mode might have been caused by a software conflict or system file corruption. For us to clarify the issue, we would like to ask these questions:

• What is the exact issue that you are experiencing?
    • Did you notice any recent system changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you encountered any error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

If you are having issues waking your PC from sleep, we suggest running the
    Power troubleshooter
    as an initial troubleshooting. Kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshoot, and then press Enter.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, click on Power.
    • Click on Run the troubleshooter button.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.

We will wait for your response.

Janeane Cru, Mar 27, 2019
  3. Waking from sleep mode

Hi Kenneth,

For us to narrow down your concern with waking up your computer from sleep mode, we would like to know the following:

• Aside from Windows Update. were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Is this the first time you experienced the issue?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Send us a screenshot of your screen when you wake up your computer from sleep mode.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Mar 27, 2019
  4. WaytGibbs Win User

Waking PC up from sleep mode causes a reboot

Windows 10 - Problem waking up from sleep mode

This worked for me on a Lenovo Horizon2 27 all-in-one PC that was able to sleep manually but could not be wakened once sleeping after upgrading to Windows 10 Home.

I ran the powercfg /energy and examined the report as GoWMike describes. It showed no driver errors but suggested that there is a problem with the system's "High Performance" power setting that may prevent normal waking from manually induced sleep.

I used powercfg /list to show available modes, copied the GUID for Balanced mode, and then used this with the powercfg /activate command to change the plan.

I also used powercfg /devicequery wake_from_any

to get a list of device names for components capable of waking the system from sleep, and then I used

powercfg /deviceenablewake <devicename>

to make certain that the touchscreen and power button are armed to wake the machine.

After restarting, sleep and wake then functioned properly again.

WaytGibbs, Mar 27, 2019
Thema:

Waking PC up from sleep mode causes a reboot

1. Waking PC up from sleep mode causes a reboot - Similar Threads - Waking sleep mode

2. System rebooting after trying to wake up PC from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System rebooting after trying to wake up PC from sleep mode: Hi,I've started to notice, that my machine fails to wake up after putting it to a sleep mode. It happens occasionally, but this time it triggered me as I had some things opened in the background that I have to set up again. I'd appreciate someone taking time to analyze my...
  3. System rebooting after trying to wake up PC from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System rebooting after trying to wake up PC from sleep mode: Hi,I've started to notice, that my machine fails to wake up after putting it to a sleep mode. It happens occasionally, but this time it triggered me as I had some things opened in the background that I have to set up again. I'd appreciate someone taking time to analyze my...
  4. PC wakes up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC wakes up from sleep mode: I put PC to sleep, it usually only stays asleep for a few minutes and wakes back up.I Googled online and carried out following:In Power & sleep set up in 'allow wake timers'I set to disabled.No difference.Then found that you can see the cause by using CMD and running:...
  5. PC wakes up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC wakes up from sleep mode: I put PC to sleep, it usually only stays asleep for a few minutes and wakes back up.I Googled online and carried out following:In Power & sleep set up in 'allow wake timers'I set to disabled.No difference.Then found that you can see the cause by using CMD and running:...
  6. PC wakes up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. My PC reboots after waking up from Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC reboots after waking up from Sleep Mode: The laptop normally goes to sleep but when it wakes up, it starts rebooting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-reboots-after-waking-up-from-sleep-mode/cd65a00a-2a7c-471e-bb2e-98e55155a440
  8. Laptop reboots instead of waking up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop reboots instead of waking up from sleep mode: I've seen lots of power/sleep problems discussed on forums, but nothing exactly like the problem I'm having since the latest Windows 10 update. The laptop seems to go to sleep fine. Then when I open the lid or press the power button to wake it up, it makes the unmistakable...
  9. waking up from sleep mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    waking up from sleep mode: how do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waking-up-from-sleep-mode/b4ff1b9a-ea46-4a3a-975c-1d05f338aeae"
  10. Custom PC not waking up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Custom PC not waking up from sleep mode: My custom computer doesn't wake up from sleep mode whenever I try to wake it up. It's a problem that started a few weeks ago, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to resolve it. I tried everything I've could, and I think I might have a lead. I was able to wake the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell sleep mode causes restart