Windows 10: WAN Miniport causes WiFi disconnect - Windows 10

Discus and support WAN Miniport causes WiFi disconnect - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, I recently discovered that the solution to my wifi problem (wifi not automatically connecting to my router after a restart), was to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tim Dude, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Tim Dude Win User

WAN Miniport causes WiFi disconnect - Windows 10

Hi there,

I recently discovered that the solution to my wifi problem (wifi not automatically connecting to my router after a restart), was to deactivate all the "wan miniport" devices in device manager. After having tried basically all wifi related troubleshooting steps to no avail, I simply started randomly deactivating all wan miniport devices with the hope it would fix it, and turns out, it actually fixed the problem! Now my wifi reconnects to my router after a restard again.

My question is, I didn't read about this step in any troubleshoot for wifi related issues anywhere, I just randomly found this out.

Can someone please explain why "wan miniport" was causing my wifi not to reconnect to my router after a restart, and does Microsoft know about this issue? Because this was a really annoying issue that I had for a very long time, only now I found the solution myself.

Thanks

***Title modified from: Windows 10 Wifi Bug?***

:)

Tim Dude, Jan 17, 2019
  2. GracieP Win User

Win 10 update disabled WAN miniports

Just did the update to 1803 and went smoothly except that in looking at Device Manager, I see that that the following ports have been disabled:

WAN miniport(IP)

WAN miniport(IPv6)

WAN miniport(Network monitor)

What do miniports do? How do I fix these ports?

GracieP, Jan 17, 2019
  3. Tim S_214 Win User
    Wifi disconnected after upgrading Windows 10

Hello,

After upgrading Windows 10 (and update 1607) on my new laptop Asus X555DA, I have experienced wifi disconnected twice or more a day. Other devices such as mobile and tablets have no problem with wifi all day long but the laptop.

When the laptop works well with the wifi, I can see only two adapters on Network Adapters:

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

However, whenever wifi is disconnected, I "always" find there appear several WAN miniports on Network Adapters:

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

WAN miniport (IKEv2)

WAN miniport (IP)

WAN miniport (IPv6)

No exclamation mark on any adapter. I have never seen this before I upgraded Windows 10.

It would be great if I can hear any helpful comments on this issue.

Tim S_214, Jan 17, 2019
  4. WAN Miniport causes WiFi disconnect - Windows 10

Windows 10 WAN Miniport Code 38

I do not have a new installation of Windows 10, this problem just suddenly happened. All was working well. As far as I can tell no updates have been installed immediately prior to this problem.

When windows first starts the WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport (IPv6), and WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) all start with the error code 45, device not connected.

When you attempt to connect a VPN each of the three have the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark. Looking at the device status is shows: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still
    in memory. (Code 38). The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory".

When I try to connect, the VPN Connection reports:

"A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection."

The problem is clearly not connection specific, as the WAN Miniports show errors as described above.

I have tried uninstalling the three WAN Miniport items, and updating the driver. No change to the error. Having said that these three items still show a driver dated 21/06/2006 version 10.0.10586.0, and are the Microsoft ones, and not manufacturer specific.
    So this would seem to be a Microsoft issue and not the manufacturer.

I have also added and additional network card, and installed it from scratch, with the up to date drivers. No change to the error.

The troubleshooter did not find any errors!!!

In the error log I get the following error, but the only thing I could find online did not work.

Device SWD\MSRRAS\MS_NDISWANIP had a problem starting.

Driver Name: netrasa.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Service: NdisWan

Lower Filters: NdisTapi

Upper Filters:

Problem: 0x26

Problem Status: 0xC000038E

Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Device Configuration

Source: Kernel-PnP

Event ID: 411

I do not want to reinstall Windows 10, which was suggestion I found online. That seem overkill, and not even guaranteed to resolve the problem.

Surely you must be able to change the WAN Miniport drivers to something more up to date than 2006, if indeed that is the issue, as they have been working fine.

In both cases the Network card works fine and I can browse the Internet okay.

Can anybody please help?

JohnBoyIOW, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

WAN Miniport causes WiFi disconnect - Windows 10

1. WAN Miniport causes WiFi disconnect - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - WAN Miniport causes

2. Wan miniports????

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wan miniports????: Hello, I opened my network adapters via device manager. I see a bunch of wan mini ports. What are they? What are they for? Tried to uninstall and they come back upon restarting. How do I get rid of them? See attachment. Thanks!...
  3. Wan miniports????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wan miniports????: Hello, I opened my network adapters via device manager. I see a bunch of wan mini ports. What are they? What are they for? Tried to uninstall and they come back upon restarting. How do I get rid of them? See attachment. Thanks!...
  4. Wan miniports????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Wifi connection WAN miniports

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi connection WAN miniports: Hi! I use windows 10 and it turned out that recently my computer has stopped browsing any pages. Internet is connected, router is fine, all the devices work well and just my computer always displays WAN mini ports which I think inhibit dns server to open pages and following...
  6. Wifi connection WAN miniports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi connection WAN miniports: Hi! I use windows 10 and it turned out that recently my computer has stopped browsing any pages. Internet is connected, router is fine, all the devices work well and just my computer always displays WAN mini ports which I think inhibit dns server to open pages and following...
  7. Wifi connection WAN miniports

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. BSOD caused by RASPPPOE.sys and WAN MINIPORT PPPOE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD caused by RASPPPOE.sys and WAN MINIPORT PPPOE: Hi All, We have a series of Dell Latitude 3410's that is getting BSOD on reboot or Shutdown. There may be more users with devices that is not reported this issue. However the few that has are on Dell Latitudes 3410 According to the minidump files it comes down to the...
  9. WAN miniport IKEv2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WAN miniport IKEv2: While trying to troubleshoot/repair windows not able to automatically detect this networks proxy settings after waking from sleep mode, I have accidentally deleted WAN miniport (IKEv2). How do I get it back on windows 10? Thanks....
  10. wan miniport on pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wan miniport on pc: Does not connect to modem anymore. I worked yesterday. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wan-miniport-on-pc/4f5b7f89-aa0f-43a7-81c1-b86ef4c4196a

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 ppoe vpn disconnects frequently

2. windows 10 showing wan mmini port desconnected\

3. Device SWD\MSRRAS\MS_NDISWANIPV6 was started

4. windows 10 disconnect from wan,
  5. wan miniport windows 10 appeared