Windows 10: WannaCry protection

Discus and support WannaCry protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; By using a online free email service (such as Hotmail or Gmail) instead of the direct email provided by an ISP, am I protected from malaware such as... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mayagrafix, May 12, 2017.

1. WannaCry protection

By using a online free email service (such as Hotmail or Gmail) instead of the direct email provided by an ISP, am I protected from malaware such as the new WannaCry trojan horse malaware?

This virus spreads thru attachments in email. Do the major free email services screen for these attachments when email passes thru them?

:)

Mayagrafix, May 12, 2017
  2. clc.clc Win User

ransom ware wannacry

which update protects against ransom ware wannacry?

clc.clc, May 12, 2017
  3. windows defender

Can windows defender protect ransomeware AKA wannacry virus?

LalbiakPhuoitong, May 12, 2017
  4. jamis Win User

WannaCry protection

Let's start with a first step. What version and build are you running?

jamis, May 12, 2017
  5. z3r010 Win User
    The current wannacry pandemic is not being spread my attachments, it's being spread by a vulnerability in Windows that was patched on modern systems a couple of months back, if you are up-to-date on your Windows updates then you will be fine.

More info -
    Customer Guidance for WannaCrypt attacks MSRC

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010 - Critical

The worm that spreads WanaCrypt0r - Malwarebytes Labs | Malwarebytes Labs

74 countries hit by NSA-powered WannaCrypt ransomware backdoor: Emergency fixes emitted by Microsoft for WinXP+ • The Register

z3r010, May 12, 2017
  6. Win Ten, up to date with patches + upgrades

Mayagrafix, May 12, 2017
  7. Thanks for the info. My home PC is up to date however my work PC is out of my hands. I was wondering if this could be a stopgap measure for corporate PC's

Mayagrafix, May 12, 2017
  8. sml156 Win User

WannaCry protection

I was reading it spreads threw the SMB protocol, so on older unsupported Windows OS's if you disable File sharing that should stop it spreading.

Also Microsoft did create a patch for Windows XP, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2003
    Available here:
    Microsoft Update Catalog

WannaCry protection [​IMG]

It has also been reported email is also used to spread this.

Microsoft Releases XP Patch for WannaCry Ransomware | Threatpost | The first stop for security news

sml156, May 13, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    From what I've read, it enters through a malicious attachment in an email, then infiltrates all unpatched systems as a worm.
    FWIW, some online email services (like Gmail) have very good spam filters, but some still get through, and, on top of that, the malicious attachments are encrypted, so AVs have a hard time identifying them.

A researcher accidentally found the kill switch and WCry has been turned off, but that does not help systems that have already been infected.

simrick, May 13, 2017
  10. simrick Win User
  11. eLPuSHeR Win User
    As it has been said above, you need to have your OS patched and never, never click on unknown email attachments.

eLPuSHeR, May 13, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Reposting this here, in case someone needs it:

So there's a possibility to get your encrypted files back...for some....
    WannaDecrypt your files? The WannaCry solution, for some - Malwarebytes Labs | Malwarebytes Labs

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

WannaCry protection

1. WannaCry protection - Similar Threads - WannaCry protection

2. Bluekeep and wannacry patches failed to install windows server 2008 R2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluekeep and wannacry patches failed to install windows server 2008 R2: Hello All, Please anyone help I have HP Server Gen7 with AMD processor running windows server 2008 SP1 R2, I want to install Bluekeep and wannacry security patches, to resolve vulnerability issue raised by audit team, I have downloaded the patches for that OS but when i...
  3. Bluekeep and wannacry patches failed to install windows server 2008 R2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluekeep and wannacry patches failed to install windows server 2008 R2: Hello All, Please anyone help I have HP Server Gen7 with AMD processor running windows server 2008 SP1 R2, I want to install Bluekeep and wannacry security patches, to resolve vulnerability issue raised by audit team, I have downloaded the patches for that OS but when i...
  4. My Computer affected with WannaCry Ransomware URGENT HELP!!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My Computer affected with WannaCry Ransomware URGENT HELP!!: How do i remove this ransomware safely without removing data? URGENT HELP!!! im need to finish my work project!!!! my works files is inaccessible!!!!...
  5. About ransomware_reqg . wetransfer virus . and wannacry story .

About ransomware_reqg . wetransfer virus . and wannacry story .: hello guys in this day I want to share my experiences .Read this to the end . in 2017 or 2018 people they easily used their computers . microsoft in the 2017 and 2018 has not given a new update . hackers teams they have seen the situation . and started create new virus for...
  6. Is it safe to run viruses such as WannaCry and Memz within Windows Sandbox?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to run viruses such as WannaCry and Memz within Windows Sandbox?: Would there be any damage to my host PC? submitted by /u/BigmansFacilities [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jv4prv/is_it_safe_to_run_viruses_such_as_wannacry_and/
  7. HELP MY FRIEND!!! WANNACRY IS BACK!

HELP MY FRIEND!!! WANNACRY IS BACK!: Hello Microsoft, can you help my Friend? In my Facebook group, I have a member whose laptop is infected with the "Wannacry" ransomware. I don't know whether he actually downloaded the ransomware on purpose, or not. But I think the "Wannacry" Ransomware is back. Can you guys...
  8. Still vulnerable to WannaCry

Still vulnerable to WannaCry: I am currently on Windows 10 N version 1803 (OS Build 17134.191) I've run the windows updater and installed all updates that were offered, but when using the EternalBlues tool that checks for vulnerabilities it still shows that I am vulnerable. Is there a specific patch that...
  9. Wannacry

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wannacry: Is wannacry still active and what to do if you get infected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/wannacry/05152dfd-e08d-4e70-a206-bd0ccf1e4626
  10. Wannacry 2.0 eternalrocks author may have called it quits

Wannacry 2.0 eternalrocks author may have called it quits: Over on the Inquirer an interesting read: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...calls-it-quits Looks like the witch hunt may have made him a little nervous. Reminds me of Matthew Broderick in the movie War Games. 85620