Windows 10: Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons

Discus and support Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi: Since updating to Windows 10, whenever I open file folders to view jpgs, the files' thumbnails are a generic blue mountain icon instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tandree30, Sep 7, 2015.

1. tandree30 Win User

Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons

Hi:
    Since updating to Windows 10, whenever I open file folders to view jpgs, the files' thumbnails are a generic blue mountain icon instead of thumbnails of the images themselves. How do I get the icons to go back to being thumbnail images again? Is there a command or menu option that will change this for all jpgs in my folders rather than having to change one by one?
    Thanks!

:)

tandree30, Sep 7, 2015
  2. Revertible, Sep 7, 2015
  3. How do I get Windows to generate thumbnails for images larger than 10000kb in size?

So this one gets curiouser and curiouser.

In my regular user profile, the images above 10000kb don't generate thumbnails.

In my admin user profile, the images above 10000kb don't generate thumbnails.

Our IT department's admin profile generates thumbnails for JPGs larger than 10000kb, but not any other commonly thumbnailed image format (no BMP, no PNG, no TIFF thumbnails).

The thumbnails that that account sees for large JPGs don't show up when loaded by my accounts!

Patrick-SCS, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 7, 2015
  5. tandree30 Win User
    Yes, thumbnail previews are enabled, at least it appears that way when I open the file folder. I can see the preview pane, but the preview is just a larger version of the generic icon. I imagine there must be a way to change this. I can't upload these images when I can't tell what they are. I use these images for my online shop and FB page. Obviously, I need a resolution to this so I can see what I'm uploading! Any other thoughts that might help?

tandree30, Sep 7, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    Are you saying you have unchecked the tick-box for 'Always show icons, never thumbnails' in File Explorer options?

WhyMe, Sep 7, 2015
  7. tandree30 Win User
    Found the answer in another forum. thx.

tandree30, Sep 7, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

What was the solution for you?

Brink, Sep 7, 2015
  9. I followed your advise after reading this post and it solved my problem. Thanks

incredable1, Mar 13, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help incedable1. *Smile

Brink, Mar 13, 2016
  11. tazmo8448 Win User
    I just want to say thanks for this...I too was getting Icons rather than Thumb Nail and sure enough the View deal had the show Icon box checked...no clue how that got checked...still trying to figure out who to blame... *Huh

tazmo8448, Apr 21, 2016
  12. Thank you for this I too have been trying to view thumbnail
    Following what you posted I managed to do it

hTconeM9user, Apr 22, 2016
  13. Elidea Win User

I've just followed your advice - the first option - and I got my images appearing instead of icons. Thanks a lot!*Biggrin

Elidea, Dec 15, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help Elidea, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Dec 15, 2016
  15. Certainly didn't work for me! The Display file icons on thumbnails was never checked anyway, CR2 files have thumbnails. BMP files have thumbnails. TIF files have thumbnails. PCD files don't have thumbnails. JPG files are capricious. Some have thumbnails, others just flash up with a thumbnail and then immediately the icon replaces is. It is a real pain, and must be something to do with the 'update' of Win10.

ChrisatBRIL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons - Similar Threads - jpg icons show

2. Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.: This is what I'm seeing on my task bar:Most of the icons for my programs are showing some type of generic icon like the one circled in yellow. This happened randomly. How do I get the proper icons to display?...
  3. Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.: This is what I'm seeing on my task bar:Most of the icons for my programs are showing some type of generic icon like the one circled in yellow. This happened randomly. How do I get the proper icons to display?...
  4. Image icons/thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image icons/thumbnails: So, recently, no images on my computer show thumbnails, but instead the blank page iconexample: I've tried everything I could find to fix it, I've cleared my thumbnail cache, restarted windows explorer, made sure the "show thumbnails instead of icons" box was ticked in the...
  5. Image icons/thumbnails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image icons/thumbnails: So, recently, no images on my computer show thumbnails, but instead the blank page iconexample: I've tried everything I could find to fix it, I've cleared my thumbnail cache, restarted windows explorer, made sure the "show thumbnails instead of icons" box was ticked in the...
  6. Image icons/thumbnails

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Generic icons showing instead of pictures

in Windows 10 Customization
    Generic icons showing instead of pictures: I am a Windows 10 user. Some of the icons are not showing pictures on the thumbnails, just a generic icon. Other images are showing. It's a mixture. The correct view options are checked/unchecked and the problem persist on any size icon. Can you help me with this issue?...
  8. PNG Images Thumbnail/ Icon Shows Black Background Instead Of White

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PNG Images Thumbnail/ Icon Shows Black Background Instead Of White: I'm a digital artist and work with images on a daily basis. An issue I'm having is that whenever I save a PNG picture, the thumbnail / icon would have the picture and a solid black backgroud. This makes it hard to see the picture especially since 99% are mainly black lines...
  9. How to show thumbnails instead of icons?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to show thumbnails instead of icons?: How do I show thumbnails instead of icons? I have it configured under VIEW. And also under PERFORMANCE OPTIONS. However it doesn't work. I still get icons and not thumbnails. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  10. Generic image icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Generic image icon: Dunno what I did... but in the past two days I'm getting generic icon for both image extension jpg and png... was this corrupted? What can I do to get this back on my desktop or in my folders? BTW, I looked up the tutorials and find that I don't have IconCache in my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. photo icons flash to thumbnail then go back to icon

2. want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons

3. jpg dont have thumbnails

4. why do photos not show as thumnail on desktop?,
  5. Since updating to Windows 10 whenever I open file folders to view jpgs the files thumbnails are a generic blue mountain icon instead of thumbnails of the images themselves. How do I get the icons to go back to being thumbnail images again? Is ther,
  6. show jpg icons as pictures,
  7. how to display thumbnail from android phone to computer and not icon,
  8. want jpg icons instead of generic icons,
  9. blue icons instead of thumbnails,
  10. jpg imagen isntead of icon,
  11. show thumbnails instead of icons windows 10,
  12. thumbnails vs generic icons