Windows 10: Want old style START MENU without tiles

Discus and support Want old style START MENU without tiles in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I did the online upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 some time back. My windows 10 start menu was still in the old style without tiles,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by royalmp, Sep 8, 2016.

1. royalmp Win User

Want old style START MENU without tiles

Hi Everyone,
    I did the online upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 some time back.
    My windows 10 start menu was still in the old style without tiles, wish I was happy about.
    Last week, my laptop did a lengthy windows update, and now I have tiles on my start menu.

I don't like this.
    Is there a way to get the old style back?
    Unpinning each tile one by one is not the same.
    Please help thanks

:)

royalmp, Sep 8, 2016

2. I can't seem to be able to edit the tiles on the start menu with Windows 10?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response.

• What exactly happens when you try to edit the tiles on the start menu?
    • Aren't you able to organize the tiles?

If you have tried it on the Start Menu style, we would suggest you to check in the full screen style and check.

To do so,

• Right click on an empty space in the desktop screen and select Personalize.
    • Click Start and then move the slider to the right to turn on full screen and then try to edit the tiles and check
    Thank you.

Ravinath P, Sep 8, 2016
  3. MartynasM Win User
    Got Win 10 but cannot get Start Page with Tiles. I can see old fashioned Start Menu

What do you mean by old fashioned Start Menu? Does it at least have a new User Interface? If yes the solution can be. I suggest checking the tablet mode under the action centre if you see tiles there then they work. What I think is that
    you need to pin them to start menu. since in one of the videos I seen, if you remove all tiles you can have the old fashioned start menu. Maybe for you it was made by default start menu without any tiles.

MartynasM, Sep 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, the Win 10 start menu has always provided the ability to show tiles.

It is, however, very poor for anyone with an extensive start menu organised with folders and subfolders.

Try Classic Shell (free) - used by many here. Highly configurable, familiar to XP and '7 users, - you can also launch universal apps. No tiles. And you can still launch Win 10's menu.

There several similar posts if you look thru the customisation section and many recommendations for Classic Shell.

dalchina, Sep 8, 2016
  5. zekeblue Win User
    I second the use of Classic Shell (Classic Start Menu). Can make the start menu look and act pretty much like Windows 7 if you like, but with even more configuration.

zekeblue, Sep 8, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    Classic Shell is excellent. You can configure it so mouse hover on the start button opens Classic Shell and mouse click opens the Start Menu - so can use either menu *Smile

Steve C, Sep 9, 2016
  7. storageman, Sep 9, 2016
  8. Want old style START MENU without tiles

+1 for StartIsBack, used it for win 8, 8.1 and now 10 also $2.99 for lifetime licence is good value

brotherboard, Sep 10, 2016
  9. JBGoode Win User
    I'm confused. Unless you unpinned them, all versions of Windows 10 have the tiles. Why don't you just unpin them from your current start menu?

JBGoode, Sep 10, 2016
  10. xpclient Win User
    Classic Shell does everything StartIsBack++ does for free. Not sure why you went with the latter. *Smile

xpclient, Sep 11, 2016
  11. altae Win User
    +1 for Classic Shell. It's by far the most customizable start menu out there. And it's free. But if Startisback works for you that's also ok.

altae, Sep 12, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    Or you could try the new menus for a while - many users find the new style grows on you once you use them a bit. Personally, I would never go back!

cereberus, Sep 12, 2016
  13. Steve C Win User

Like I said in Post 4, you can use both.

Steve C, Sep 12, 2016
  14. For me, it works much better and is easier to use than Classic Shell. I paid $5 for five lifetime licenses a few years ago. That's almost like being freeware. It seems to use less resources for me, and also works on Server 2012 R2.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Want old style START MENU without tiles - Similar Threads - old style START

2. Start Menu Tiles...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  3. Old style start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Old style start menu: Is it possible to switch the current start menu back to the old style start menu ? If so, how can it be done ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-style-start-menu/80ed68cc-87ea-4c18-bb6f-5bdb226476ba
  4. Start Menu Tiles

Start Menu Tiles: Hi, I really like the original factory start menu view with all of the tiles. I did someting and now when I click start menu I only get cortona to come up. Is there a fix for this? I know it is likely something easy.... Help!...
  5. START MENUE TILES

START MENUE TILES: USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT WHY THE START TILES ARE NOT THE SAME ON EACH COMPUTER USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menue-tiles/22d9f2c5-64c5-4b9a-9549-f88a285c37f7
  6. trying to get the "old style" Windows 10 start menu

trying to get the "old style" Windows 10 start menu: Forum newbie with a quick question here, had to reinstall a new PC with latest Windows 10 build, and I'm trying to get the "old style" Windows 10 start menu working. I unpin all the tiles and shrink the menu horizontally. I had thought that the ease of doing this was a plus...
  7. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  8. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379
  9. Start Menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu tiles: I have mistakenly dragged my mail tile/ icon from the Start Menu in W.10 to the desktop. How can I return it to the start menu ? ( drag and drop does not work ) 69326
  10. Control panel folder with subfolder list, in start menu - old style

in Windows 10 Support
    Control panel folder with subfolder list, in start menu - old style: Is it possible to add this kind of Control Panel shortcut (like in screenshot below), with subfolder/subitem list, to windows 10, without installing Classic Shell or similar programs? [img] 33018