Windows 10: Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List"

Discus and support Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have been searching the web for an answer to this question since first getting Windows 10 last year. I would like my File Explorer to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 925bum, Jul 10, 2016.

1. 925bum Win User

Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List"

Hi all,

I have been searching the web for an answer to this question since first getting Windows 10 last year. I would like my File Explorer to open using the "List" view rather than the current default of "Details". I have seen many responses that reference how to change the default view template from Documents to Music, Pictures, ..., but none that actually address this question. Is there a way to do this at all in Win10?

I'm thinking of changing Documents template for Details to remove all columns except for Name. The Details view as it currently has been useful in the past so I hate to lose it all together.

Am I SOL in my request? Thanks in advance.

:)

925bum, Jul 10, 2016
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Jul 10, 2016
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Jul 10, 2016
  4. CmmTch Win User

Open File Explorer, in the menu bar click view > choose your view (mine is medium icons)

To get the menu bar (if you don't have it showing) put the cursor in the top window bar, right click, click Menu bar. On mine it's the first choice.

CmmTch, Jul 10, 2016
  5. There are default views for each folder type (General, Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos)

To change the default view, navigate to the User folder of that type
    Arrange the view how you want it (list, details, columns, sort .... )
    Press the BLUE File menu
    Select options
    Press the view tab
    Press the Apply to Folders button

Want to change  File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List" [​IMG]

This only applies your preferences to folders of that type - it does not affect folders of other types.

Follow the same procedure for all folder types that you want to change.

Navigate to your Downloads folder to set your preferences on a General folder type.

Close File Explorer

Test if the changes stuck. You might have to restart Windows Exlporer
    Task manager
    Scroll down to Explorer
    press the restart button in the lower right

Test to see if the changes stuck

Slartybart, Jul 10, 2016
  6. CmmTch Win User
    Thanks for posting a clarification Slartybart, I don't remember ever having done that.

I set mine to medium icons via the "view" on File Explorer at some point in the past and they've stayed that way.

CmmTch, Jul 10, 2016
  7. You're welcome - I think 925bum wants more customization. If it's just a matter of list versus icons, then your method works.

Windows might make a determination of the folder view if pictures are in a documents folder and change the view - there's a way to stop that in the tutorial section.

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List" - Similar Threads - change File Explorer

2. how the **** do you change the Windows "11" file Explorer Default view from "Details" to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how the **** do you change the Windows "11" file Explorer Default view from "Details" to...: this was a feature on the last three versions of windows and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the default on WINDOWS 11 I KNOW HOW TO DO IT ON WINDOWS 10 IM LOOKING FOR HELP IN WINDOWS 11 NOT WINDOWS 10. i have thousands of files and i cannot navigate them...
  3. how the **** do you change the Windows "11" file Explorer Default view from "Details" to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how the **** do you change the Windows "11" file Explorer Default view from "Details" to...: this was a feature on the last three versions of windows and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the default on WINDOWS 11 I KNOW HOW TO DO IT ON WINDOWS 10 IM LOOKING FOR HELP IN WINDOWS 11 NOT WINDOWS 10. i have thousands of files and i cannot navigate them...
  4. Detail List in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Detail List in File Explorer: Sometimes when I open File Explorer, I notice "X's" over the icons in the detail view. Why are these displayed, and how can I remove them when I use File Explorer?...
  5. Detail List in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Detail List in File Explorer: Sometimes when I open File Explorer, I notice "X's" over the icons in the detail view. Why are these displayed, and how can I remove them when I use File Explorer?...
  6. Detail List in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Change the File Explorer default view of files

Change the File Explorer default view of files: Sorry to ask what I am sure is a simple question, but I have searched the internet, and nothing I tried works, or if it seems to work, then after I reboot, the old default return. Specifically, whenever I open Windows 10 File Explorer and click on a folder, the files are...
  8. Set default in File Explorer to List or Details View in Windows 10

Set default in File Explorer to List or Details View in Windows 10: On my computer, File Explorer in Windows 10 defaults to the icons view. That is useful sometimes, but by default, I want File Explorer to permanently open documents to List View except for Pictures. How can I set the default view to List View?By default, when I open File...
  9. Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File...

Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File...: I already know how to change the View of folders and files in a File Explorer window. I always choose "List." I also know how to then apply make the default that same "List" View to all similar File Explorer windows. However, when I'm saving a document to my PC via the...
  10. Making "list" default view for file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Making "list" default view for file explorer: How can I make the file explorer always use "list" view when opening files and folders? Thanks 65271