Windows 10: Want to change motherboard for windows 10

Discus and support Want to change motherboard for windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I am new here. Please help me. My father's computer upgraded from win7 to win10. And now I want to help him to change the motherboard. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by sunny7day, Nov 4, 2015.

1. sunny7day Win User

Want to change motherboard for windows 10

Hello, I am new here. Please help me.

My father's computer upgraded from win7 to win10. And now I want to help him to change the motherboard.

I know I will have activation issue if i just change the board, so what should i do to solve the issue?

I heard that windows 10 can now use win7 keys to activate, is that correct?

:)

sunny7day, Nov 4, 2015

2. Windows 10

Hello. I have a question about Windows 10.Dele that I have a licensed Windows 10 well, I want to change the motherboard. And they say that if I change

The motherboard with the license flies. Tell me this is true. If this is so then I do. The motherboard fee is weak I want to change to another one.

Thank you for your attention. I am happy with Windows 10 just super. Elkhan Abbasov.

Elxan Abbasov, Nov 4, 2015
  3. I want to change my motherboard, cpu and ram.

It depends on how Windows 10 was configured on your computer.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail
    Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also
    transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came
    on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 4, 2015
  4. Want to change motherboard for windows 10

Hello sunny7day Welcome to the Ten Forums!

The first thing to ask here is what type of product key did the 7 install see? Since a new board will mean a major hardware change a clean install of 7 would be seen with the retail 7 key under the EULA. That allows transfer of the license to the new pc. Once MS has activated the fresh 7 install with the new board installed you can then choose between two options to see 10 installed. These two guides for either choice will take you through things step by step for seeing 10 go on once the 7 situation is corrected for the new board.

The first is the immediate upgrade type install following the fresh 7 "with SP1" required install you would upgrade from once activated which then will immediately see a record of the new profile stored on the MS activation server. But you might run into a buggy upgrade despite the fresh clean 7 install and later need a second 10 clean install which is where Option #2 comes in! Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

The second being the Clean Install of 10 Without Upgrade First is where you will want to be once 7 is on and activated following a call in to MS to get that straightened out. From there the 7 install can be backed up with a full system image and stored on a separate drvie if you have one. And then you have to be sure to unplug any storage drives or anything non OS as the guides explain. That prevents things like boot files and temporary installation folders from ending up on the wrong drive!

Night Hawk, Nov 4, 2015
  5. Windows 7 keys cannot be used to activate windows 10 RTM, this option is available for just Insiders.Expect some time before it gets rolled out to everyone.
    You should try phone activation as mentioned if you encounter problems regarding the activation:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929

Sumit Dhiman, Nov 4, 2015
  6. With a board change being a replacement component a quick call into MS shouldn't actually run into any problem as far as seeing a clean install of 7 activated. I ran into a similar problem replacing memory on the present build shortly after getting it together and already having put 7 on.

I gave MS a call back then to see 7 reactivated while a board change will need a bit more explaining. That's where the type of license could pose a problem if OEM and not Full Retail while on past occasions when only having an OEM disk bought online from a place like Newegg a call to MS saw the fresh install on a new build activated.

The old pc's drives were simply moved into the new build leaving the older case without any but floppy and optical for that old XP disk. MS is now changing their activation procedures a bit however and if explained you need 7 activated in order to upgrade to 10 that should be a selling point!

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Want to change motherboard for windows 10

1. Want to change motherboard for windows 10 - Similar Threads - change motherboard

2. Driver Power State Failure on Windows 11 after Motherboard change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver Power State Failure on Windows 11 after Motherboard change: After swapping motherboards without issue, I'm now frequently running into problems with my computer BSOD'ing with "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". Specs:Device name SAPPHIRE Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core Processor 4.50 GHz Installed RAM 64.0 GB 63.2 GB usable System type...
  3. Driver Power State Failure on Windows 11 after Motherboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Driver Power State Failure on Windows 11 after Motherboard change: After swapping motherboards without issue, I'm now frequently running into problems with my computer BSOD'ing with "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". Specs:Device name SAPPHIRE Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core Processor 4.50 GHz Installed RAM 64.0 GB 63.2 GB usable System type...
  4. Windows 10 activation after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 activation after motherboard change.: I had to change the motherboard of my desktop due to recurrent problems in the earlier one. But I am keeping the hard disks as they are. But I am unable to activate Windows 10 Pro, which has been update to version 22H2. The prompt says that I am not connected to internet, but...
  5. I recently changed my cpu and motherboard and ever since, I have had a watermark stuck on...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I recently changed my cpu and motherboard and ever since, I have had a watermark stuck on...: The troubleshooter isnt helping and just says buy a copy from the store but I had windows running fine before changing hardware. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-recently-changed-my-cpu-and-motherboard-and-ever/630609e9-be60-46b6-a14e-c3698c97d475
  6. I recently changed my cpu and motherboard and ever since, I have had a watermark stuck on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I recently changed my cpu and motherboard and ever since, I have had a watermark stuck on...: The troubleshooter isnt helping and just says buy a copy from the store but I had windows running fine before changing hardware. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-recently-changed-my-cpu-and-motherboard-and-ever/630609e9-be60-46b6-a14e-c3698c97d475
  7. I recently changed my cpu and motherboard and ever since, I have had a watermark stuck on...

8. How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...: Hi thereI just upgraded to a shiny new motherboard and took the opportunity to also move to a larger and faster NVMe hard drive at the same time.I finally got it up and running last night; but I forgot to deactivate my Windows 11 Pro license key on the old setup...
  9. How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...

How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...: Hi thereI just upgraded to a shiny new motherboard and took the opportunity to also move to a larger and faster NVMe hard drive at the same time.I finally got it up and running last night; but I forgot to deactivate my Windows 11 Pro license key on the old setup...
  10. Is it necessary to reinstall Windows 11 after just changing motherboard? What about...

Is it necessary to reinstall Windows 11 after just changing motherboard? What about...: I've a similar question but that has already been asked but in the past but since the introduction of TPM2.0 in Windows 11 and Passkeys. I'd like to ask it again.My motherboard ASUS PRIME B365M-A has died recently and I'm switching to MSI B365M PRO-VHD. Besides motherboard...