Windows 10: Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD

Discus and support Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My brother's birthday is coming up next month, and one of the things im thinking of getting for him for his birthday is a higher capacity m.2 nvme ssd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrokenDaily, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD

My brother's birthday is coming up next month, and one of the things im thinking of getting for him for his birthday is a higher capacity m.2 nvme ssd for his computer, got my eyes on a 500 GB one. The one his OS is installed on is an NVMe LITEON 256GB. his Computer is a pre-configured Alienware Aurora R5 desktop, and he's nearly managed to fill up his main C; drive real quick because APPARENTLY he wanted to try out star citizen and will NOT remove it from his setup

I dont want to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything, so is there a way I can "clone" his current OS setup onto the higher capacity when/IF I manage to get his new ssd without little to no hassle, or am I going to be going through a bunch of hoops to do this?

His dell procut service tag is 486HMD2 if one wishes to see his setup; he does have a 2 TB SSHD for documents/videos/other programs/stuff, so there's that

:)

BrokenDaily, Sep 24, 2019

2. Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD

My brother's birthday is coming up next month, and one of the things im thinking of getting for him for his birthday is a higher capacity m.2 nvme ssd for his computer, got my eyes on a 500 GB one. The one his OS is installed on is an NVMe LITEON 256GB. his Computer is a pre-configured Alienware Aurora R5 desktop, and he's nearly managed to fill up his main C; drive real quick because APPARENTLY he wanted to try out star citizen and will NOT remove it from his setup

I dont want to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything, so is there a way I can "clone" his current OS setup onto the higher capacity when/IF I manage to get his new ssd without little to no hassle, or am I going to be going through a bunch of hoops to do this?

His dell procut service tag is 486HMD2 if one wishes to see his setup; he does have a 2 TB SSHD for documents/videos/other programs/stuff, so there's that

3. Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD

So at the time of this post, and after spending around $50 thanks to the other users on ebay hiking the final auction price as a sort of revenge on losing the auction in question, I got the SSD drive bought and its in the process of being sent over

I have read and committed all that I've been told to memory on how NOT to screw this up, but one question I dont think I asked about was the windows 10 license. If I do this macrium reflect backup/cloning method, or use something like EaseUS Todo Backup Free to clone the ssd, will I have to worry about re-inputting the license code that came with the computer to activate windows 10 home (his edition of windows), or will it still stay activated even after the backup

and even then, will I have to worry about sync issues (settings wise) with onedrive? He has onedrive open on his, but for whatever times I was on his computer during maintenance when he's at work, I dont know if he's using it for syncing settings or something

And another thing: in one article on cloning an SSD onto a larger capacity one here, it mentioned a tool called EaseUS Todo Backup that can do such a thing, but also optimize the SSD for performance after the fact. If i stick with macrium reflect, will there be any other steps/commands I need to use to ensure his new SSD will perform just as good as the old one? TRIM, any tool that could help, etc...

4. cadaveca Win User

Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD

1. Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD - Similar Threads - Clone SSD Higher

2. Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...: I have bought a new MiniPC with 500 GB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 preinstalled with OEM Windows 11 Pro.I have not Activated the Windows 11 Pro yet. Can I first clone the preinstalled 500 GB SSD to a new 2 TB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 before activating the Windows? And then Activate...
  3. Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...: I have bought a new MiniPC with 500 GB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 preinstalled with OEM Windows 11 Pro.I have not Activated the Windows 11 Pro yet. Can I first clone the preinstalled 500 GB SSD to a new 2 TB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 before activating the Windows? And then Activate...
  4. Ssd capacity limitation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd capacity limitation: Just bought Lenovo Legion S7 512GB with Win11 Home. I tried to upgrade ssd to 2TB in one slot. But the system saw only 1TB. So I upgraded my laptop with two ssd drives 1TB each. And this is the maximum for my machine. Where is the problem with bigger drives? The drives I use...
  5. SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance: Hi all, Cloned the OEM drive in an HP Elitebook 850 G5 yesterday, to a Kingston A2000. I used Clonezilla, everything went off without a hitch. The reason for this was because I needed more space; 250GB to 500. Throw the new drive in, boot up, and the thing is quite slow....
  6. Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD: Hi looking for some advice, I have a laptop and the HD is painfully slow so I have decided to swap the hard drive for an SSD. Now the existing hard drive is a 1TB drive but for what I need the laptop for I have opted for a much smaller SSD drive (I have plenty of Network...
  7. Clone SSD to bigger SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone SSD to bigger SSD: Been trying to get my new 480 gig Sandisk to take a direct clone from my old Sandisk 128 gig SSD and all the programs I've tried keep assigning separate drive letters to each partition and then the bigger SSD wont even boot right. It boots to a blank 10 blue screen with two...
  8. Clone ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone ssd: Hi all if I want to install a 500gb ssd can I clone my 120 ssd to it. Its not my c drive its the g drive I just need more room for games I will be giving the old ssd to my son to make a boot drive 67592
  9. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  10. Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...