Windows 10: Want to delete files on external HDD, but can't.

Discus and support Want to delete files on external HDD, but can't. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows Version: 20H2 Build 19042.985 I have an external HDD that is a leftover from a previous laptop and I'm using it for backup. I deleted what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Delly10, May 23, 2021.

1. Delly10 Win User

Want to delete files on external HDD, but can't.

Windows Version: 20H2 Build 19042.985 I have an external HDD that is a leftover from a previous laptop and I'm using it for backup. I deleted what I could from it, but it still has some files left that I can't delete. When I try, I get a message telling me I need administrator permission to do that. I'm the administrator, and I have my permission. How do I convince my computer of that?

:)

Delly10, May 23, 2021
  2. Chasbob Win User

Access to files on external HDD

I recently bought a new Windows 10 computer. I already have an external HDD with my photos on. To migrate my other data (e.g. Office docs etc) from the C: drive on my old XP computer I copied the relevant folders to the external HDD. I intend to copy this
    data to an internal HDD on my new computer, but before doing so I am deleting files that I no longer require. I am signed in with an administrator account on my new computer, but every time I try to delete or move a file or folder on the external HDD, a dialog
    box pops up asking for administrator permission. Clicking 'Yes' enables me to delete or move the file/folder, but this is clearly laborious. Inspecting the properties of files/folders on the external HDD, I see that every file and folder has a blue/yellow
    shield against Rename and Delete.

Is there a way that that I can simply update the permissions on all files/folders on the external HDD to give full access to my administrator account, so that I can move/delete files without needing to give permission every time.

Note - At the end of the day I want to move the Office docs etc to an internal HDD on my new computer but leave the photos on the external HDD. But I want my administrator account to have full access to both types of file.

Chasbob, May 23, 2021
  3. Deleting windows.old and WINDOWS.TEMP from external HDD

Windows.old can be difficult to remove. Here is a simple way to get rid of it:

• Copy the files you wish to keep to a different disk, e.g. a flash disk.
    • Format the external disk.
    • Restore the files you copied in Step 1.

Frederik Long, May 23, 2021
  4. Chasbob Win User

Access to files on external HDD

Hi Jenith - as per my original post, I am already signed in with an administrator account. However, I have been through your suggestion and created a local administrator account, but as I expected, this has made no difference. Right-click on any file/folder
    on the external HDD still shows a blue/yellow shield against Delete and Rename.

Do you or anyone else have a solution for the issue in my original post?

Thanks

Chasbob, May 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Want to delete files on external HDD, but can't. - Similar Threads - delete files external

2. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  3. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  4. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. deleting file history on external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting file history on external HDD: Hi there I have backed up all my photos, videos and important documents to an external HDD can I delete the file history on the external HDD without losing everything that I have backed up on there. Many thanks scared to delete...
  6. Windows 10 deleting files from external hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 deleting files from external hdd: Windows keeps deleting stuff from my external drive including very large files for games on steam, how do I fix it from deleting stuff again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-deleting-files-from-external-hdd/f27da770-d492-4bd0-be55-9cef2a000e68
  7. Windows can't access external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows can't access external hdd: Hello So I use a western digital my passport external hdd and windows 10. Previously its been a bit finicky, I assumed its been the cable. Typically it works fine and I store all my media on it. Yesterday I plugged it into my Samsung Q60T TV for the first time, hoping to...
  8. Weird files in external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird files in external hdd: Hey guys, today when I booted up my desktop I found some folders and a file in the external hdd I use that weren't there the day before One is named mono.exe and it's classified as a windows installer type file, two folders named System and System64 that contain only .dlls,...
  9. BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD: Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of backups and what not Twice now I've had it crash while running. I've come back to it and found it has restarted. found the...
  10. File can't delete on HDD..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File can't delete on HDD..?: Hi All I have few files on my Toshiba ext. HDD that don't seem to able to delete .. Any ideas..? I have signed out , restart tha laptop .. Thanks [img] 121606