Windows 10: Want to make a quick image with cmd

Discus and support Want to make a quick image with cmd in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have made a little video for someone on another forum who wanted to make a quick image and mount that image in order to retrieve some data. Don't ask... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whs, Apr 21, 2015.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

Want to make a quick image with cmd

I have made a little video for someone on another forum who wanted to make a quick image and mount that image in order to retrieve some data. Don't ask me why he wanted to go that route. I made him a little video explaining the process and I want to share that with you. The video run for 7 minutes.

If you want to try it yourself, this is the command for imaging the C partition and all partitions needed for a proper operation (e.g. the system partition). This works from the iron or from virtual.

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:X: -include:C: -AllCritical -quiet

Substitute 'X' with the drive letter of the partition where you want to place the image. If you want to image a data partition leave '-AllCritical' off and adjust the drive letters.

Note: If you mount the image, it comes without a drive letter but the mounted volume is present in Disk Management where you can assign a drive letter.

[youtube]l1PoSUcrQsw[/youtube]

:)

2. jmann54 Win User

Trim enable on new dell laptop with windows 10

Hey DaveM121 thanks for quick reply. I suspected this was the correct cmd to check but wanted to double check, and yes TRIM is on thanks!

jmann54, Apr 21, 2015
  3. I have 2 computer with windows 7 want to make a clean installation of windows 10

I have two computer:

1. Laptop Asus N55SF with windows 7 32 bit OEM

2. Destop computer with windows 64 bit Retail.

I want to make a clean installation on these two computers.

Can I write thier licence codes in the windows 10 installation?

Yefet Cohavi, Apr 21, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Good tutorial Wolfgang. A little long but very informative.

If I did this for my boot drive, could I then use the VHD in Oracle VirtualBox? Never done that, just curious.

Edit: This would be a good one to add to Kari's Video tutorial thread: https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...s-members.html

Ztruker, Apr 21, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Not sure how that would work in vBox. I have not used vBox in so many years. I once tried to make a VHD work in VMware Player after converting it to .vmdk, but that somehow did not work. If you want to try it, I would at least copy the bootmgr to the C partition before you make the image. Then you have to deal with only 1 partition's image.

6. Ztruker Win User
    Just made an image of my 8.1 boot drive: wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:F: -include:C: -AllCritical -quiet
    Took about 12 minutes which is not bad, about the same as Acronis TI takes.

When I look at the F: drive this is what I see:

Want to make a quick image with cmd [​IMG]

On the last image, what do I mount? I tried all 3 vhdx files and all give the same error:

Ztruker, Apr 21, 2015
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    That is very strange. Although your files are .vhdx and not .vhd, they should mount in Windows 8.1. or W10. Are you trying to mount them in Windows 7. And what system did you image, was it virtual or on the iron.

8. WHS
    whs Win User

I just created an image of a small test partition in Windows 10. There was absolutely no problem with the .vhdx.

9. Ztruker Win User
    Try it with your boot drive C: and use the -AllCritical parameter. When I did this it imaged two partitions and now will not mount as I described. I'm wuilling to try any ideas you might have.

BTW: This is fun stuff!!!

Ztruker, Apr 22, 2015
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    I had no problem mounting the image of C. I had to assign a drive letter to it though. It showed up without a drive letter in disk management.

11. Ztruker Win User
    Can you show the folder and full file names like I did in post #4? I'd like to see what, if anything, is different.

Ztruker, Apr 23, 2015
  12. Here's an image I found I could make with cmd: 8===|)~~

You can make it too, if you want.

Delicieuxz, Apr 23, 2015
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

Is this what you are looking for:

14. Ztruker Win User
    Which one did you mount?

I have:

Ztruker, Apr 23, 2015
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    I mounted all 3 that are in the red box.

Thema:

1. Want to make a quick image with cmd - Similar Threads - quick image cmd

2. CMD appears quickly on restart after resetting PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD appears quickly on restart after resetting PC: This is really weird.I recently setup a gaming PC and only installed NVIDIA app, Roblox and Google.So I used it for awhile and then restarted it.Upon logging in there was a CMD that popped up and I heard that could be a virus..Any idea on what this could be?...
  3. CMD appears quickly on restart after resetting PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CMD appears quickly on restart after resetting PC: This is really weird.I recently setup a gaming PC and only installed NVIDIA app, Roblox and Google.So I used it for awhile and then restarted it.Upon logging in there was a CMD that popped up and I heard that could be a virus..Any idea on what this could be?...
  4. CMD randomly opens then closes quickly Not Office

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CMD randomly opens then closes quickly Not Office: Recently I have been noticing that the CMD has been randomly opening up out of nowhereI checked online but noticed the issue had nothing to do with Windows Office.I recorded my screen then went back frame by frame to take a screenshot and tried to look for the location of...
  5. I want to do it quickly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to do it quickly: I want to update my PC to make it faster and cleaner. What is the fastest way to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-do-it-quickly/49ca317d-34fa-45a5-b1c2-1820f08f1c02
  6. cmd in windows 10 make someproblem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cmd in windows 10 make someproblem: When I want to touch C, I get the following message: 'C:\' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. If I print "path" in cmd I get this:...
  7. Making a Systems Image

Making a Systems Image: Having just updated Windows 10 V1803 86X based system to KB4462919, but am still unable to make a Systems Image on to an external HDD due to erroneous RPC service unavailable failures. Been trying for most of Sept but to no avail. Must I resort to a Non-Microsoft backup...
  8. Make a image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Make a image: Does win 10 have a image program built in to image the whole hard drive?? 87775
  9. Backup and make image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and make image: Hopefully my annotated screenshot explains my two questions clearly: [img] Terry, East Grinstead, UK 92539
  10. Windows 10 Quick Image Process

Windows 10 Quick Image Process: Greetings, Just some background before I dive into my question. I work for a small municipal government organization. We are moving to SCCM for application and OS deployments, and will be getting some setup assistance on this as well as assistance with creating our Windows...